German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Old Guard DDR in Romania. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/380377-old-guard-ddr-romania.html)

RLwhaler 12-12-2013 11:32 AM

Old Guard DDR in Romania.

I'm curious if anyone here have any knowledge of this kennel.
I've tried a few times to make contact with him...with no response.

Chip Blasiole 12-12-2013 02:10 PM

I believe that person got some of his breeding stock from John at Ostschutz Kennels in Florida, which are old DDR lines. You can go to John's site and contact him. Some of those dogs tend to be very dominant and aggressive.

RLwhaler 12-12-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole (Post 4661370)
I believe that person got some of his breeding stock from John at Ostschutz Kennels in Florida, which are old DDR lines. You can go to John's site and contact him. Some of those dogs tend to be very dominant and aggressive.

You are SO absolutely correct! I did speak to John yesterday....He's doesn't have plans for breeding right now.

I just fell in love with "Old Guard" pups by the name of Bero seen here:

carmspack 12-12-2013 02:55 PM

Bero (vom Old Guard) DDR

RLwhaler 12-12-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 4661490)

Thank you. Is it safe to say that I will not find anything close to Bero here in the states? I would very much appreciate any leads to find such a pup like Bero.Thanks!

Sunflowers 12-12-2013 03:24 PM

What are you looking for? What is it about this particular dog that you liked so much?
What are you planning to do with the dog?

Lucy Dog 12-12-2013 03:35 PM

There are plenty of breeders breeding ddr lines here in the US. I've got a 7 month old ddr dog snoring away right next to me right now with some of those same lines.

carmspack 12-12-2013 04:27 PM

those aren't "rare" lines as the web site hypes -- pedigree isn't really built for anything -- The whole time I was watching the youtubey I was getting fatiqued , watching a dog who seems disconnected , in the "he's not into you" way . Drop the leash and the dog runs . Want the dog to come to you and stay and visit , grab him, confine him , constrain him with hand on collar or hand on harness , have dog grip in protest , then he goes and does his own thing. I kept thinking what is going to be the dogs motivation in training -- I like genetic obedience and that deep bond / partnership that comes willingly from the dog . I associate DDR dogs with being like white-on-rice with their family , cold and aloof with strangers .

In another video --
Bero DDR 4 months - YouTube

Lucy Dog 12-12-2013 05:10 PM

Just watched that video. Like Carmen said, that pup definitely doesn't look very engaged with his family. Kind of the opposite of what you'd think of with a ddr dog. Seems a little chunky for a puppy too, but maybe I'm just used to seeing my skinny pup.

When I'm out with my pup, it's kind of the complete opposite of how this dog is acting and it comes natural to him. Eyes always on me. High pack drive. Won't let me out of his sight. LOVES his family - his life revolves around it. Very engaged and waiting for me to throw something or give some command. He'll say a quick hello to a stranger for a second or two if I give him the ok, but basically velcro on me the other 99% of the time.

carmspack 12-12-2013 05:29 PM

Lucy 100% right .