Engagement Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engagement Puppy

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site but figured it would be a good place for questions! Long story short I am from Columbia, MD and am looking for a long haired German Shepherd puppy to use as part of my engagement in February. My girlfriend and I have wanted a dog for years and now is the perfect time for us to finally get one. Her family has had a white (125 lb female) and now has a black and tan. Does anyone know where a good breeder on the east coast (MD, PA, VA, DE, WV, NJ, maybe NY) would be?

I appreciate any and all advice,

Thanks!
jwjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Best thing to do before calling around and talking to breeders is to click this --> How to find a puppy!

NO PETSTORES or going to the Amish and their puppy mills!

With so many issues with health and temperament, you need to do your research on the front end so you don't add a mess to your new life!

Good luck!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What are you looking for in temperament? What does your girlfriend want in a dog? That'll help you narrow down who's producing dogs that will suit your lifestyle
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am looking for a long haired German Shepherd that will be fine with our cat, be gentle around kids (looking ahead), we can run with, highly intelligent, and more family oriented than work. This dog will not be doing agility or show. We would love to experience the joys of raising a puppy than adopting a mature dog.
jwjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I thought about doing something similar but decided against it, get a go pro and record it too haha.
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjames View Post
I am looking for a long haired German Shepherd that will be fine with our cat, be gentle around kids (looking ahead), we can run with, highly intelligent, and more family oriented than work. This dog will not be doing agility or show. We would love to experience the joys of raising a puppy than adopting a mature dog.
Joys? Okay then. I absolutely love German Shepherds. My closest friends even think I am a bit loony when it comes to my devotion to my dogs. I however avoid puppies like a flesh eating disease. They are cute, they do some pretty funny stuff, but on average a GSD pup is a whirlwind of chewing/biting, mentally challenging and hyperactive worry that I can do without. That's me though. I like to procure dogs at around age one to two, once the puppy-brained shenanigans have run their course. I currently have an 11 month old female (4 months now she has been terrorizing my house).

Not trying to dissuade you at all from the dog or breed, just letting you know that German pups are small cute demons that will take over your house. They are hugely intelligent, loyal to a fault and IMO the best home companion in all of creation. Raising one is an ordeal at first. Teens are a fight much like human teens are exasperating wholly illogical creatures. Once into young adult/adult stage however GSDs are simply amazing animals that are worth the headache, I just prefer to skip the headache stages(when possible).
Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Raising a pup. Depending on the puppy, it can be a joy. Or it can be a hair-pulling, seemingly never ending life of frustration. I'm currently in the second camp. Got my guy at 8 weekish and he's now 8 months old. Still doesn't take a nap unless you force him to, still way into the old dog's and cat's business. Still is disinterested in being leash trained. That apparently is for lame dogs and not cool dogs. I wish I had actually GOTTEN him at 8 months. He actually is much better than he was (scary thought) and hopefully as he matures more we can develop a better working relationship. Off to classes (again) in January. Signing him up for two!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does anyone have a breeder they would suggest to the guy. I don't know that he asked to be dissuaded from getting a puppy. He feels it is the right time for he and his girlfriend. Using the dog as part of the engagement, is maybe what some of you hiccupped on, I am guessing.

jwjames, I am in Ohio, and do not know of any breeders I would be willing to locate where you are. But MRL's advice is good. There are no short cuts when it comes to finding the right breeder for you. There's a thread on now about a person unhappy with a breeder that was suggested on here. Maybe a couple. Someone will give you names of course, but from what you said, you need more information before you start your search in earnest.

You need to educate yourself on the different lines of GSDs. There are the American Show lines, German Show lines, West German Working lines, Czech lines, East German or DDR lines, and maybe others. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, and some of them may be a better match for you than others. Linda Shaw has a pretty good synopsis of the various lines, and it is well worth the read.

After you and your girlfriend determine which lines suit your situation best, then you need to go through all the stuff about how to find a good breeder. You have to decide how much you are willing to pay and what you will require in the puppy you buy. Even though you do not want a dog to show or work, the temperament of the dog is of the utmost importance. When you do narrow down what you want and start seriously looking at breeders, be very clear about what you want the dog for and what you are looking for in the dog, etc, so they can match you up well.

Good luck.

The following gives a synopsis of the different lines, with photos:
GSD Types
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Does anyone have a breeder they would suggest to the guy. I don't know that he asked to be dissuaded from getting a puppy. He feels it is the right time for he and his girlfriend. Using the dog as part of the engagement, is maybe what some of you hiccupped on, I am guessing.

jwjames, I am in Ohio, and do not know of any breeders I would be willing to locate where you are. But MRL's advice is good. There are no short cuts when it comes to finding the right breeder for you. There's a thread on now about a person unhappy with a breeder that was suggested on here. Maybe a couple. Someone will give you names of course, but from what you said, you need more information before you start your search in earnest.

You need to educate yourself on the different lines of GSDs. There are the American Show lines, German Show lines, West German Working lines, Czech lines, East German or DDR lines, and maybe others. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, and some of them may be a better match for you than others. Linda Shaw has a pretty good synopsis of the various lines, and it is well worth the read.

After you and your girlfriend determine which lines suit your situation best, then you need to go through all the stuff about how to find a good breeder. You have to decide how much you are willing to pay and what you will require in the puppy you buy. Even though you do not want a dog to show or work, the temperament of the dog is of the utmost importance. When you do narrow down what you want and start seriously looking at breeders, be very clear about what you want the dog for and what you are looking for in the dog, etc, so they can match you up well.

Good luck.

The following gives a synopsis of the different lines, with photos:
GSD Types

I just checked out the link. There is a lot of good information there and would be a good place to start for a person looking for a particular personality. I did meet one Shiloh Shepherd at the last show I attended and it was really beautiful, seemed really calm as well. Sorry I have no info on breeders in the north but I wish you good luck in finding the one that is perfect for you.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just got my puppy one week ago today he's a little shark! Be prepared for your hands to be mauled lol. I have 5 big dogs my first GSD by far the best breed. Do your research for a reputable breeder)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.