Breeders South Texas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeders South Texas

My wife and I are considering a new pup. We want a female and I have visited one breeder here in south Texas. I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this breeder: TEXAS BIG GERMAN SHEPHERDS - Home. Her dogs are straight backed and large. We are looking for a pet not a show dog. Her kennels are well run and clean. Thoughts?
saam55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thought I should offer a little more info to my post. We have five acres for the dog to live and play. We have three dogs now, 60lb. pointer, 20lb. jack russell, and 10 lb. small mixed breed, all males. Mom will be home with pup all day. We both are active outside with dogs.
saam55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

german shepherds are not supposed to be "big".
males are approx. 85 lbs and females 72 lbs.

the extra size is not healthy as it takes a toll on structure and internals.

please look for a breeder that breeds within the standard that certifies hips and elbows, that is active is some type of dog activities (obedience, rally, sar, schutzhund/ipo), and has breeding stock that has some type of working title.
Rallhaus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

PLEASE do not consider a breeder so unfamiliar with hip dysplasia that he cannot spell it correctly on his website's front page.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would avoid this breeder. There's several spelling errors just on the first page of the website. If they don't care enough to make sure everything is spelled correctly for what they hope will appear reputable to others, I can't believe they care enough about good breeding practices. Maybe that's just me though. If I'm spending that kind of money, I want to feel confident in my purchase and judging by the home page, I would stay far away from them.

ETA: lack of knowledge and inability to spell extends well beyond the main page. Working lines. WHAT working lines exactly? And then you throw in his dogs know who is right and wrong instinctively. He's making it sound like they're born with that knowledge. Getting the dog out there and experienced with people helps instill that knowledge.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 05-08-2013 at 01:49 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have visited with this breeder before and she seems very knowledgeable about the breed. There are other reputable breeders out there that breed larger German Shepherds besides this lady. The weight class you find that is within the breed standard is set by the AKC. There are many working lines out there that are both above and below the breed standard (weight) set by the AKC. You should look for a breeder that is concerned with OFA ratings. We are starting our breeding business, and the first and foremost part of getting our dogs ready is to see if they are cleared of hip and elbow dysplasia (and other health clearances) before we even begin breeding them. You might need to head north east from where you are at to find some good breeders. If you need any recommendations let me know, and I will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Also, even though you said you are not looking for a show dog, are you interested in working lines or showlines German Shepherds? Showlines GS make great pets, and you do not have to show them. The drive in working lines GS dogs can be a bit crazy, and require a good amount of exercise daily just to keep them calm. This is even after obedience training. Both lines make great pets just make sure you know what you are going for before you decide, even though you probably have already done your research.
DJ BEN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
mnm
Master Member

Most reputable breeders who breed with the standard, are not breeding to AKC's standard, but to the German (SV) standard - where the GSD originated. There is a reason to keep within the standard, one big reason that has already be pointed out... health concerns - they are not ment to be a large, heavy dog.
Ebene v Kindheitstraum CGC Therapy Dog
Gin v d Traumwolfen
http://www.traumwolfen.com/

RIP
Elsa HOT SchH1 CD & Viggo TR1 CD
mnm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ BEN View Post
I have visited with this breeder before and she seems very knowledgeable about the breed. There are other reputable breeders out there that breed larger German Shepherds besides this lady. The weight class you find that is within the breed standard is set by the AKC. There are many working lines out there that are both above and below the breed standard (weight) set by the AKC. You should look for a breeder that is concerned with OFA ratings. We are starting our breeding business, and the first and foremost part of getting our dogs ready is to see if they are cleared of hip and elbow dysplasia (and other health clearances) before we even begin breeding them. You might need to head north east from where you are at to find some good breeders. If you need any recommendations let me know, and I will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Also, even though you said you are not looking for a show dog, are you interested in working lines or showlines German Shepherds? Showlines GS make great pets, and you do not have to show them. The drive in working lines GS dogs can be a bit crazy, and require a good amount of exercise daily just to keep them calm. This is even after obedience training. Both lines make great pets just make sure you know what you are going for before you decide, even though you probably have already done your research.

There are many things wrong in your post

Firstly, if the breeder truly is knowledgeable then their website shouldn't have several simple spelling errors on it. There's no excuse for that.

Secondly, the standard is set by the SV as already stated, not the AKC. As the GSD was originally bred in Germany, they take pride in keeping the genetics as close to the original standard as possible.

Also, breeding needs a lot more than a simple OFA rating and health tests, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Titles which prove the worthiness and temperaments are just as important, otherwise all you're breeding is a physically healthy dog that could easily be a genetic mess and bringing more of them into the world

Also as a person who actually owns a working line GSD, I know a properly bred WL has an off switch and can settle in the house just fine. There are good WL breeders out there just as there are good SL breeders, look to the individual breeder and what they produce and choose from there.

A GSD is a working dog; they require training and exercise. Regardless of lines, whether SL, WL, or BYB as long as they're getting attention and their needs met they shouldn't need hours of exercise to be able to settle in the house. Most GSD are perfectly happy in active households. They’re not meant to be and shouldn’t be bred to be couch potato dogs that laze around 24/7. If that’s what you want, then don’t look to the GSD

Talk to the breeder honestly about your needs, they should be able to tell you whether they have a dog that matches those needs.

If the OP truly wants a larger GSD that's out of standard, then I'm not going to shake my head at them. I simply urge caution and make sure that proper titling, health certification, and temperament are met just the same as any other dog. Caution is needed when out of standard because there are fewer reputable breeders that will deliberately breed out of standard and a smaller genetic pool is always a risk

Sorry OP, I can't help you in pointing out a specific breeder but I couldn't let this post go unanswered.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

saam 55 the one lady who said my post had incorrect information is right about some of the things that I had mentioned. However, I only wanted to brief you on health concerns and not elaborate too much in my post so that if you replied to me, we could talk more and I could point you in the right direction towards breeder's dogs that meet these qualifications. There is so much to discuss that typing it all out would just slow us down from actually visiting more about this, so that's why I only touched on OFA. Temperaments and titles are important as well, but you might find that some breeder's dogs have titles in their pedigree's, but the dog that is actually being bred has not earned a title. To many this matters, but for some, as long as the parents have been titled or grandparents than it is enough for them. As far exercise goes, one of the things again that I did not elaborate on is that they do require exercise daily. A person that is not active regularly will have to, at least, make time for this breed because they do require it, and if you are not active you will at least need to keep them active. Not everyone obedience trains there dogs (unfortunately) so this on and off switch can only be accessed through obedience training, otherwise, you will have your hands full, Therefore, imagine a dog with a higher drive that does not know that "no" means stop. Again saam55 if you need assistance finding a reputable breeder in the TX area just let me know, as I have visited with many of them, and we own 2 male boys from a breeder in the East TX area.
DJ BEN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm new to this forum and signed up so that I could warn you about this breeder. We got our sweet Lucy last August from Texas Big German Shepherds. I found her online. She had two females left in the litter. I trusted her and paid $1500 for the puppy. I was told that she would be a big dog. The breeder was looking at her at the time. We had a driver take the money and pick her up because she was 5 hours away and we weren't able to make the trip. When I took her to the vet, the vet told me she would not get that big.... Well, a year later and she is between 60-70 pounds. She looks very small. She is a beautiful dog but at 9 months old was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Our trainer noticed how she sat funny and would lay down often. She encouraged me to have her x-rayed. I informed the breeder who took the mother out of breeding at that time. She must have had other problems as well. She ended up selling the mother for $500. She claimed this was her first puppy with hip dysplasia..... She still claims that her dogs are hip dysplasia free on her website.... I approached her about giving us $1000 back but she wants Lucy back and will give us another puppy. She will not give us any money back. We are attached to this one and cannot do that. Lucy also had ticks on her when we got her and smelled of tick spray.
I would not trade Lucy. We love her and will deal with her hip dysplasia. I, too, questioned the terrible spelling on the website. If I had gone with my gut on that, we would not have our precious fur baby.
Please beware. I doubt this is the first one with hip dysplasia. Is there a way to let AKA know????
smwaco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.