German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Breeders in Pennsylvania (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/205425-breeders-pennsylvania.html)

Noles20 01-18-2013 10:31 AM

Breeders in Pennsylvania

In about a year or two, my wife and I will be looking for new puppy. We have had GSD's in past but our breeder no longer breeds. I have found what seem to be great breeders on this site but they seem to be breeding dogs with very high working drives and I am not certain that that is the best fit for our family. Our puppy will be a pet/companion first and foremost. My wife will do obedience with the dog and perhaps some agility as well. Nothing competitive, just for fun and building a relationship with the dog. In my search, I found the two breeders below that are within 1 hour of my home. Before I contact them and go to meet their dogs, I just wanted to tap into the knowledge of the members here to see if there were any red flags or something specific that I should ask about with one or both of them. Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.

Acturus German Shepherds & Cardigan Welsh Corgis

German Shepherd Puppies for Sale - German Shepherds - - Pennsylvania

Jax08 01-18-2013 10:46 AM

Not all puppies in a litter are high drive. If you find a breeder you like, call or email. I wouldn't decide they can't provide what I want until after you've talked to them. :)

I think Elisabeth has a dog from Wild Winds (as the second breeder does). You might PM her and get her opinion on temperament from these line.

Courtney 01-18-2013 11:00 AM

I have talked to Molly several times at Eichenluft in PA.

http://workinggermanshepherd.com/index.htm

wolfstraum 01-18-2013 11:05 AM

as I never heard of these.....

First link - pet breeder breeding homebred pets for more pets...no info, no pedigrees, no links to OFA certs with registered names.....nothing on the website to allow anyone with any knowledge to evaluate the "breeding program".......

Sniper (second link) is cited as "x-rayed" and having "excellent hips" - OFA does not certify until 2 - the dog has sired litters that are ready to go now or shortly, and he just turned 2 a few days ago....red flag IMO

Mixing up lines with no rhyme or reason, just selling pets...make a deposit with paypal....no pricing....again - no real information or credentials that demonstrate anything about the temperament and stability of their breeding stock....

Sorry - there are sooo many people just making a business of having pups for the pet market....I don't know the prices on either of these...but IMO they are typical $500 puppies that you can buy in the Sunday paper classifieds....

You are better off buying from a breeder who strives to produce pups from parents with credentials that at least demonstrate trainability and that can do more that sniff curiously and run around like wild in a field....

If you are in Eastern PA, take a look at vom Silbersee.....

Lee

Noles20 01-20-2013 08:48 PM

Thanks for the help. I got some good info. Just when I think I have a good handle on these things, I find myself feeling like I don't know anything.

Noles20 01-20-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2763433)
Not all puppies in a litter are high drive. If you find a breeder you like, call or email. I wouldn't decide they can't provide what I want until after you've talked to them. :)

I think Elisabeth has a dog from Wild Winds (as the second breeder does). You might PM her and get her opinion on temperament from these line.

Thanks. Who is Elisabeth? So would a puppy from working lines potentially be a good fit for someone like me, who will have a GSD as a companion, while doing obedience and some agility too?

Jax08 01-20-2013 10:43 PM

I don't see why a working line wouldn't, especially since you'll be involved in dog sports. Not every puppy is suitable for Schutzhund and high drive in a litter. If you really want an answer to that, PM Wolfstraum (posted above) and discuss with her. She's a working line breeder and could best answer your questions about one being suitable for a companion / obedience / agility dog.

As far as the breeders, I'd go with Lee's opinion on that as well and keep looking.

doggiedad 01-20-2013 11:01 PM

for me the more i knew the worst it got. lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 2780369)
Thanks for the help. I got some good info. Just when I think I have a good handle on these things, I find myself feeling like I don't know anything.

doggiedad 01-20-2013 11:05 PM

are you open for having a pup shipped to you or
driving much further than a hour?

elisabeth_00117 01-20-2013 11:53 PM

You can PM me for information as I own 2 dogs from Wild Winds.

One is a working/show cross who does have some reactivity issues (although managed) and know of a few siblings who have similar issues. He has low drive, and is a great companion but not a great working dog (what the breed should be).

I knew what I was looking for in my second (she is a working line - Czech/DDR/WG cross) so was able to get exactly what I wanted. Also had people helping me.

I can offer some information/advice if you PM me.

I have known the dogs from this kennel for almost 4 years now and know the dogs VERY well. I actually interacted with Sniper as a pup and know a few siblings, and know MANY of the half-siblings. Mia and Shep (Snipers parents) are two dogs I am very familiar with, along with her other dogs.

I personally, would go with Lee's recommendation and keep looking.