German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Looking for a breeder in NC. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/204938-looking-breeder-nc.html)

Mog 01-17-2013 12:37 PM

Looking for a breeder in NC.

Hi,

I've very interested in purchasing a male, german working shepherd puppy, dark sable/mask. I've been researching breeders recommended here and elsewhere but haven't had much luck...

For example, German Shephers von Flakenhein has a litter which is due any day. The sire, Jerry, is an incredible looking dog and is exactly the type of dog I'm looking for. Here's a link to the upcoming litter: Upcoming-Litters I've called and left two messages at the number provided and also emailed them through their "Contact us" link. I haven't heard back at all... which I'm really disappointed about.

I've called and left two messages for Labonte Canine Services which has an upcoming litter, but again, no replies...

Off topic, but the Labonte litter has an all black sire and dam. Is there a chance they could produce a dark sable?

These two breeders were highly recommended, their sites say they are available during the week, but neither have returned my calls.

Would anyone know of a reputable breeder, that has recently had a litter or an upcoming litter that might have a dark sable male?

This is my first time dealing with breeders in the area, but I'm not having much luck at all. And it's a little frustrating...

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

Alex

Mog 01-17-2013 01:15 PM

I didn't see a way to edit an existing post, but wanted to mention that I live in Apex, NC with my 4 year old daughter, which is right outside of Raleigh. But I would be willing to travel for the right dog (within reason). The dog is going to be primarily a family companion and will be receiving protection training. I want the dog to grow up with my daughter, but I'm also open to an older dog, up to 1 year of age. Again, it would have to be the right dog and right situation. I'm very hesitent of rescues because I won't know their history and would be worried about a dog that may have been abused in the past and something happening to cause him to snap at and/or bite my goofball.

Emoore 01-17-2013 03:47 PM

Not in N.C. so can't help you there, but no, there's no way that two solid black parents could have a sable puppy. You can only get a sable by breeding a sable. One parent at least must be sable to get a sable.

rangersdad 01-17-2013 06:49 PM

Not very knowlegable myself, but some have recommended Alertk9 (think I've got it right-they're near Raleigh, I believe). I haven't read anything but good on here about them!

robk 01-17-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangersdad (Post 2760273)
Not very knowlegable myself, but some have recommended Alertk9 (think I've got it right-they're near Raleigh, I believe). I haven't read anything but good on here about them!

Alert k9 is Von Falkenhein.

buttersburgh 01-20-2013 03:19 PM

Looking for a breeder in NC.

Hi I'm from Cary. We are new here as well. We decided on Banffy Haus in TN. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

gowen 01-20-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 2758130)
I didn't see a way to edit an existing post, but wanted to mention that I live in Apex, NC with my 4 year old daughter, which is right outside of Raleigh. But I would be willing to travel for the right dog (within reason). The dog is going to be primarily a family companion and will be receiving protection training. I want the dog to grow up with my daughter, but I'm also open to an older dog, up to 1 year of age. Again, it would have to be the right dog and right situation. I'm very hesitent of rescues because I won't know their history and would be worried about a dog that may have been abused in the past andsomething happening to cause him to snap at and/or bite my goofball.

I am a owner of a Von Falkenhein (ak9) GSD and can say that if you are seriously interested in a working line breed, you will not be disappointed! Call them again. Birgit is extremely busy but you will get through. Also email is a better contact method FYI.

matt0300 01-21-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowen (Post 2780865)
I am a owner of a Von Falkenhein (ak9) GSD and can say that if you are seriously interested in a working line breed, you will not be disappointed! Call them again. Birgit is extremely busy but you will get through. Also email is a better contact method FYI.

I emailed you guys about the last puppy you had available. I was wondering if you could send more pictures and a good time next week I could check him out.

gowen 01-21-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt0300 (Post 2786801)
I emailed you guys about the last puppy you had available. I was wondering if you could send more pictures and a good time next week I could check him out.

I'm, in no way, associated with AK9 other than I purchased a puppy from them last year. I'm fully confidant that Birgit will write you back though! I really have nothing but positive to say about her work.

matt0300 01-21-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gowen (Post 2787625)
I'm, in no way, associated with AK9 other than I purchased a puppy from them last year. I'm fully confidant that Birgit will write you back though! I really have nothing but positive to say about her work.

Sorry I must have read the post wrong. Its good to geat good things about them though. Im still looking around, but ive heard nothing nad about alert k9. I think im going to go with them.