Breeders in California? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Breeders in California?

Does anyone have recommendations on reputable German Shepherd breeders in California?
RoxyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I got my puppy from a breeder in El Cajon... She's not always super easy to deal with personality wise but she's been breeding and been involved in the sports world for over 30 years(she was one of the founding members of the original shutzhund club in San Diego).

It depends on what you're looking for too... Her dogs are generally German showline and working line crosses but she occasionally has all black working line litters. She does ship too if you're not in Southern California.

I have been very happy with my pup from her and there are a few others on this forum that have dogs from her as well. If you're interested I can PM you her information... She does have some litters now I think.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can you give a bit of information on what you're looking for? What line (working, show, american, ddr). What type of personality/characteristics?
What are your plans for the dog? Showing, sport, family pet companion? Are you willing to have a puppy shipped from a reputable breeder not in California?

The more information you can give about what you want, the better people here can set you on the track to a good breeder that breeds what you're looking for.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am looking for a family companion dog as my top priority. I have a 2 year old son and would like a great all around family dog. I am pretty open to all the different lines of the GSD. I really just want a good "fit" for my family. It is important that the dog be sound in temperament and not timid, shy or fear aggressive.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well I would recommend my breeder for a good 'pet dog'. She also has trained adult dogs from time to time, usually retired breeding females or young females or males that ended up not going into her breeding program. I'm not a mother nor do I know your experience with dogs but I'd be nervous with a puppy and two year old but that's just me! My puppy has been very good and gentle with children though... He's very confident, he's never spooked and he's extremely laid back.

Jackie(the breeder) also stands behind her dogs for life, I've emailed her a few times since I've had my pup and she answered my questions no issues! She's breeding more for healthy well tempered dogs then for show or sport specifically now that's she older and can no longer compete herself in sports.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I PM'd you her info if you wanted to have a look at her website. Good luck in your search and I'm sorry if you live in northern California, I'm not familiar with any breeders in that area.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Where in CA, north, south, central?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am located in Sacramento, CA.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I got my dog from Von Falconer's in Bonny Doon, CA - santa cruz county, about 3 hours south of you. Here are some photos of our girl, 2 1/2 years old.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

She is working stock, very large for a female 84-88lbs, the breeder expected her to be more in the 75lb range. Her sister is smaller like that but her brother is huge. If you are interested, I would really speak with someone there about the temperament you want in a dog. They also do training and focus on protection work. Our dog and her sister, seemed to be very high drive, independent dogs, needed a lot of training and work. My dog hated obedience training, all she wanted to do was go on agility equipment. Things are definitely better now that she is older, great with our cats. Fun loving but protective personality. Her brother was very sweet and seemed easier to control. I know two other people in the area that have males from this breeder and they seem to be fine. My husband's friend has 11 year old black make, 125 lbs, very good dog - even around his new baby, but this dog got a two week intensive training course when it was younger. This man also had a female from him that died of cancer when she was 9 or 10 that was more intense than his male.

Also I had an issue in not getting my AKC papers, but everybody else I spoke with has not had an issue with that. Their dogs come with a good, comprehensive booklet about puppy care, training hand signals, commands in different languages, and 4 free training sessions which would be hard since you are far away.

My mother lives in Davis and I've gone there and back in a day.

Last edited by Gretchen; 01-15-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you, Gretchen! Have you had any health concerns with her? Does she have a strong confident personality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.