German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   discouraged (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/200545-discouraged.html)

lourdes 01-09-2013 06:30 PM

discouraged

I am slowly becoming discouraged in finding a breeder and my puppy. The more folks I speak with, the more books I read and the more information I gather the more confused and less confident I become that I can make a sound choice. From what I have gathered it is highly suggested that I visit the breeder to meet the dogs and their homes, however if the breeder I like best lives several states away then how do I proceed if I can't afford the money or the time to travel. I want a working line puppy, so that I can Schutzhund train as hobby, not for sports competitions. I don't need a top of the line pup, however I need a pup with superior temperament and drive to be my companion and protector. I want to make my dream of becoming a GSD owner reality, perhaps someone can take me under their wing and assist me? Thank you and have a nice day.
L

onyx'girl 01-09-2013 06:37 PM

The breeder you are interested in may offer you names of previous buyers so you can contact them....hopefully they will share photo's and accomplishments and vouche for the breeder. The breeder I bought my male from, luckily lived within driving distance but I know they sell to distant states and there is a pretty strong network of past buyers as references. The breeder has every litter with all pups listed so anyone can view the progression and see the longevity in the foundation lines. No personal names of the owners are listed, however.

If you trust the breeder you chose, then the pup that they choose for you should fulfill your dream.

Bear GSD 01-09-2013 07:33 PM

I think Onyxgirl gave you good advice on the breeder. I also think that if you visited the club or clubs that you ultimately want to train at they might be able to make breeder suggestions or steer you in the right direction.
I think it is very easy to read a bunch of stuff and over analyze things, while trying to do your homework.
There are a lot of very good breeders on this board, maybe you can inquire about the breeder that you like and get some feedback.

onyx'girl 01-09-2013 07:49 PM

Yes, if you want to train in IPO, then get with clubs now, so you can make connections and see the dogs training. You may then see a specific line that interests you, and others that you may not want as a companion/partner.

justde 01-10-2013 08:33 AM

Also sometimes within a club there are breedings done that although not highly advertised are good, and sometimes less expensive. If you want to pursue the sport you'll need a good club anyway.

martemchik 01-10-2013 12:10 PM

If you're really going to commit to Schutzhund, then go to the club now. People at clubs do breedings all the time between their animals. They are not consistent breeders, they don't advertise online, so you'll have a hard time finding them any other way. Usually their puppies go to club members so they have no need to advertise. You'll not only be able to meet the breeders this way but also meet the dogs and watch them work.

I highly recommend not doing all your research online. For us novice people it makes no difference until you actually see the dogs work, and have the different terms used explained to you. This way you can truly have a picture of what kind of dog you might want.

Packen 01-10-2013 02:08 PM

Typically breeders who work, title and compete with their own dogs do not need a visit to see the dogs per say. Their dogs can be viewed on youtube easily and the puppy can be shipped to you. These breeders would not do you wrong, some examples are,

:: BILL KULLA DOG TRAINING ::
http://www.johnsoaresk9training.com/
Workingdog Kennel van Gogh
Diehl's K9 Training LLC
www.sportwaffenk9.com

hunterisgreat 01-10-2013 03:09 PM

Both my dogs where bought sight unseen.

holland 01-10-2013 03:49 PM

My dog was bought sight unseen to-but think if what you are wanting is a schutzhund dog-makes sense to go visit a club spend some time there

Freestep 01-10-2013 03:53 PM

Where are you located, and what breeders have you contacted? The forum can help recommend breeders in your area; word of mouth can be better than anything in terms of finding the right breeder. Lots of breeders have an internet prescence and are very good at selling themselves, so it can be very confusing to sort out the salesmen from the truly great breeders.