I want to buy an adult german shepherd male - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are many breeders and importers who have young adults for sale at all times. Are you looking for a working line or a show line? What general area of the country are you in?
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not sure what rescue groups you are looking at, but MoGS Rescue has some males: www.mogsrescue.rescuegroups.org

I think the following dogs are pretty swell looking:
Roco's Web Page
Monty's Web Page
Bogie's Web Page

Also, please keep in mind that the way the dog looks in rescue is not what it will look like in 3-4 months, particularly if it came in malnourished or with skin problems. I've seen some dramatic transformations. In fact, do a search on this forum for some of the post from PatchonGSD about her dog Balen, with her pictures--he's become a very handsome dog with her care, but he was a diamond in the rough when she rescued him. That transformation happens in rescue quite often!

Last edited by Magwart; 01-04-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sheba is a rescue that is actually out of Sparta, IL humane society, but is being fostered by the lady that runs the HS in Sparta.

She is a good dog, but doesn't get along with puppies or other small dogs. Sounds like a dominant female, but other than that she is sweet.

She was surrendered after her elderly owners were moved to an elderly care facility. PC for a nursing home. Their daughter couldn't care for her and surrendered her to Sparta HS.

I almost adopted this dog until I found out she didn't get along with puppies. Lisl is also a female, so I know about the drama that can occur as a result of that too and decided to pass.

I hope a nice family takes her.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You should really research the different lines...and watch them work. "Good looks" is just scratching the surface.

There are some great breeders here on the board, so I'd look at the different forums(choosing a breeder, etc) for more information on lines.
Does Crooked Creek show and work their dogs?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveGSDs View Post
Does Crooked Creek show and work their dogs?
I don't know...but they know how to run and play on the property...and look great in all the photo's! LOL
An adult male would transition fine going to the OP's property,no? Though I doubt CC has an adult male for sale anyway.
From what I've read, most all CC dogs have great temperaments/health and fit into whatever sport the owners do.(keeping up with the kennel on fb) They also are breeding dogs for service work.
CC could point the OP in the direction of a dog fitting their situation, the reason I recommended the kennel.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

There are differing opinions of what is "good looking" there are some showlines that people go gaga over that I think are quite ugly and then the showline folks often think the working lines are ugly. I think, though for what you describe pet, looks, pet in the house but no serious work a showline dog may fit the bill.......

This page has some illustrations of the different types that may help you define what, to you, is aesthetically "right". I realize many of us don't buy our GSDs for "looks" typically but it sounds like a good life with the two of you at home (I telecommute and it is good for the dogs). Any way you cut it though they are an energetic breed that will require a good bit of work, excercise, and training to be a happy family member...more than most breeds

A nice young adult may set you back considerably more than a puppy..particularly if it is xrayed and comes with sound hips, back and elbows and a proven temperament. Are there any budget considerations? The showlines tend to cost more than the workinglines though.

Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

No offense but I think all the dogs that were posed on links in this thread look very "shabby". (The rescue dog links provided.) I really am looking for something high quality and realize it will take some money to grab something special. With that added can anyone recommend a breeder to buy a high quality adult male?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
There are differing opinions of what is "good looking" there are some showlines that people go gaga over that I think are quite ugly and then the showline folks often think the working lines are ugly. I think, though for what you describe pet, looks, pet in the house but no serious work a showline dog may fit the bill.......

This page has some illustrations of the different types that may help you define what, to you, is aesthetically "right". I realize many of us don't buy our GSDs for "looks" typically but it sounds like a good life with the two of you at home (I telecommute and it is good for the dogs). Any way you cut it though they are an energetic breed that will require a good bit of work, excercise, and training to be a happy family member...more than most breeds

A nice young adult may set you back considerably more than a puppy..particularly if it is xrayed and comes with sound hips, back and elbows and a proven temperament. Are there any budget considerations? The showlines tend to cost more than the workinglines though.

Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs
darrinjesus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

I suggest you post a pic of dogs you DO NOT think look "shabby" so folks know what it is you like.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

There are very nice dogs for sale everyday. The real question is what are you looking for. What is an "adult"? What is "quality?"

Are you looking for a young adult (12-18 months) that has had training started?

Are you looking for a a young SchH1 male?

Are you looking for a VA dog?

Are you looking for a top competition dog?

Etc., etc. etc.

YOU have to figure out what you are looking for or nobody can point you in the right direction.

Art
Kennel von der Zahnburg
Zahnburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Strange, the ones I posted in the Shawlein link did NOT have pictures pop up but if you copy and paste the names into google you will find links with pictures of the various "types" of dogs.

The problem here is that Quality is in the eyes of the beholder. West German Showlines, Various working lines, and American Showline are very different dogs both in structure and temperament. And there is a lot more to quality than looks. So one persons quality dog is the dog another won't touch with a ten foot pole.

One of the breeders on the forum has a nice description of the types of dogs on her page. Realize she is a workinline breeder so will have that perspective.

(Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )

While you are at it read the linked article on elements of temperament at the bottom of her page.

FWIW, the shabby comments could be left at the door. I would say a lot of folks have great dogs you would consider shabby. You can also have a glorious work of art that is scared of its own shadow and bites people out of fear...

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.