German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   Need Advice on GSD Breeding... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/196884-need-advice-gsd-breeding.html)

GSD<3er212 12-22-2012 09:57 PM

Need Advice on GSD Breeding...

My husband and I just purchased our very first GSD.. a 6MO female. We are thinking about the future and thinking about breeding her when she is old enough. I heard 2YO is when you can start... correct? We live in Northeast Ohio near Youngstown; and are wanting to see if there are any breeders w/ a short-haired GSD stud that produces great pups nearby. All the advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!! :)

onyx'girl 12-22-2012 09:59 PM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...flowchart.html

selzer 12-22-2012 10:04 PM

Well, it is never too early to think about where you want to go with your new dog.

However, you're kind of starting on the wrong end here. Your puppy is too young to evaluate for breeding, so you will be better served to work with her, take her to classes, train her, get her to some shows, and spend the next year evaluating her to see what areas she needs a stud dog to improve.

You need to pick the dog by evaluating the bitch, and she simply isn't there yet.

Stick around. there is lots of information on this site.

Also, there is a GSD club close enough for you to get to. It is a great place to get to know the dogs and their owners.

PM if you are interested in that.

onyx'girl 12-22-2012 10:10 PM

[img] *** Removed by ADMIN - Max image size allowed 800 X 600 *** [/img]

GSD<3er212 12-23-2012 09:52 AM

Thank you everyone! I'm now wanting to forget about it. lol ;) yea after seeing the big picture and the grand total of JUST THE BREEDING, me and my husband are really reconsidering. Because we DEFINITELY don't have the money for that. I guess i never really considered the vet bills for the bitch before, during, and after, and the puppies after they're born. If anything, it may be further into the future than we thought, if we do plan again. Thanks again everyone! :)

MaggieRoseLee 12-23-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD<3er212 (Post 2662233)
Thank you everyone! I'm now wanting to forget about it. lol ;) yea after seeing the big picture and the grand total of JUST THE BREEDING, me and my husband are really reconsidering. Because we DEFINITELY don't have the money for that. I guess i never really considered the vet bills for the bitch before, during, and after, and the puppies after they're born. If anything, it may be further into the future than we thought, if we do plan again. Thanks again everyone! :)

How smart are YOU???? I know I'll never be a breeder for so many reasons, much easier to leave it to the people who have the experience and background to do it well, and I'll support them with my $$$$ so they can keep up the good work!

HEY, where are the brags and pictures of your pup ????

:wild: :wub: :wild:

carmspack 12-23-2012 10:25 AM

It's your first GSD . To you she may be the sun, the moon , the stars , and I hope she is , the best experience for you . Get involved , learn the breed , do training, have the dog critically evaluated , in the ring, on the trial field, x rayed, health checked , and then there is the pedigree , and finding the RIGHT match for her that does more than contribute sperm . There is SOOOO much to know . If that works for you , then the forum is a great place to start learning ---- so lets see the pup , and lets hear where you got her from and what her background is.

holland 12-23-2012 12:52 PM

Nice pic of the berner and the baby

GSD<3er212 12-23-2012 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes, im still learning SO much! :) i mean my aunt has a long haired GSD and all i REALLY know is that they are very protective of their "pack" and Oh so loyal.. like my pup is turning out to be. :D

Anyway, my husband's friend from work was looking for a dog for us since we were looking; and she happen to see the ad of the puppy. She was actually found on Craigslist. The family we got her from Texas and the husband was in the military... and they werent, the best of taking care of her.. if id say... the husband wanted her but the wife said no because she wasnt a "big dog lover". But we went and got her on Nov 30th this year. I kid you not she had to be under 40lbs because i could see every rib and spine bone. a week later, we put her in puppy classes, doing fantastic, and shes now up to a healthy 55lbs and filling out beautifully! :)

GSD<3er212 12-23-2012 07:57 PM

OH! I definitely dont think she was properly socialized with other people and dogs... because shes very skittish with new people, and barks at every dog she dont know.. which is understandable, but it gets embarrassing when im out shopping and she goes bazurk barking at others.. it also makes me very nervous... because idk how she will really act with the others.. shes been great with her puppy class friends until its time to play.. she plays so rough, she paws (which i find normal with puppies) but she also tries to bite as shes playing. which makes me super nervous about the other owners. When she goes nuts, Ive tried getting her attention with treats, "poking" her side and making a loud noticeable different noise than shes used to, but she like, "blocks" me out.. Ive tried about everything but a squeaky toy.. which i dont think that'll work either... Any advice?