Need Advice on GSD Breeding... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD<3er212 View Post
.. lol but we're are not meaning to be "irresponsible" breeders. most of it was for the $ and so someone can enjoy their own GSD like we are enjoying our pup... i mean, w/ professional breeders, isn't it for $$ along w/ just business? Just curious..
breeding for the $$ is pretty much a dead-giveaway for an irresponsible breeder. No matter how famous or reputable they might be. Why? Because to make a profit in any business you have to minimize expenses. Not an easy thing to do without cutting corners when you are dealing with living creatures!
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
its weird bc the only real people she is REALLY iffy with is people in petstores that just come up to her, and think "oh i can pet this dog, she'll be fine" .. me: "uhhh NO!... this is a GSD.. you NEVER go up to this breed and just touch it if you dont know this dog... or any breed for that matter!!" irritates the crap out of me.. lol
It shouldn't irritate you. YOU brought the dog into a pet store, expect it to be touched. Especially a puppy. I know she's 7 months old, but most people will know she's a puppy and will expect her to not have any issues with humans and expect you to let them pet her. Remember, YOU'RE bringing this dog into a place where there are generally very good dogs. Bringing your dog into a pet store isn't a right, its a privilage, and taking a dog that could potentially do something into a public place is asking for trouble. Most people will ask to pet, but some will ask while they're already reaching out to pet, and then there are those that won't ask, this is because 99.9% of the dogs that are brought into pet stores are not reactive, especially to people.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Agree martemchik. Get her a vest that says "no petting - in training" or something - that will deter some. If you truly don't want others petting your dog, don't take her into the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
IF she had a solid temperament, her earlier experiences would not matter. Her good temperament would overcome the shortcomings of her upbringing.
Very much agree. You can compensate and manage a scared/nervy dog, but there is no substitution for stable and social temperament. Wiva was at the breeder's kennel with minimal socialization till 11 months old. I socialized her and exposed her to different scenarios. Parks, family gatherings, social events with friends, to the beach, car rides, dog shows, dog trials, training in different places with different people, goes to the medical office with me to do her therapy work, great with children, can settle in the most hectic environment. She has been exposed to heavy compulsion during training and we have used a heavy hand during some work, but she has bounced back and is able to behave in a very stable manner. Genetics form the backbone of the dog - you develop it with socialization/training/etc, but the stability and base template must be strong genetically. Also, if you do not know her background, pedigree, or lines, it is a risky gamble to do a breeding with this dog.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the dog is not stable -- A dog with rock solid temperament just plain *IS* and will be even if not socialized -- okay the first time the encounter something , situation or environment -- basic , to the core , good temperament.

I congratulate you on your honesty "Most of it is so we could get $$ out of the pups" -- I am leaning towards this having been the criterian for your skittish dogs ancestry , from generation to generation.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
i was just confused because, she was (and still is) completely 100% cool with my grandparents, my one sister, 2 of my brothers, my mom, stepdad, one of our best friends, and my aunt. and that was from the first time she met them. with my one brother and sister, she about wants nothing to do with them. (she shows no aggression, just "nervous" like, actions
It could be that they remind her of someone in her past that mistreated her.

Quote:
its weird bc the only real people she is REALLY iffy with is people in petstores that just come up to her, and think "oh i can pet this dog, she'll be fine"
You WANT to get her out and work on building her comfort and confidence with strangers but you have to do it in a way that won't set her back by mistake.

Try going to the pet store right before they close or right after they open. Less people - less stress on her. Bring with some REALLY yummy treats - like pieces of hot dog or chunks of cooked chicken. Go into the store by yourself first and ask a couple of the staff if they would help you work on her. If they say yes give them some of the treats. Tell them to NOT talk to the dog, just hold out the treat for her. Go bring in the dog and calmly walk up to the person. Talk to them in a normal voice and let them give the treats.

You want her to see strangers as treat machines first. After she starts approaching people with more confidence, then you can ask them to talk to her.

The idea is to SLOWLY build her confidence. When dealing with a problem like fear you should only expect baby steps in the beginning. If you push too hard and the dog relapses they will go backwards in GIANT STEPS.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #46 (permalink)

@ Lauri and the Gang: Thanks so much! I actually cant wait to try that!

and for the others, its not the fact that im not wanting to have her pet at the store, its the fact that most people in the store dont bother asking to pet.. lol i guess i gotta start telling people to not just "go and pet" her. and to "make friends" with her first.
GSD<3er212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

what is this ?
"we just got her AKC tag i believe earlier this week. and registered her a couple days after we brought her home. She was never registered w/ her first family"

are you confusing a AKC registration with maybe the tags your dog has as part of your municipalities animal control?

do you know who her sire and dam are?

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
what is this ?
"we just got her AKC tag i believe earlier this week. and registered her a couple days after we brought her home. She was never registered w/ her first family"

are you confusing a AKC registration with maybe the tags your dog has as part of your municipalities animal control?

do you know who her sire and dam are?

I dont think i have anything confused. She is in fact registered w/ AKC and she has her AKC tag on her collar as we speak.

Her Sire is: Keiko Vom Haus Amoros
Her Dam is: Cutlip's Lady Misty
Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sire:
SG1 Keiko vom Haus Amoros

Couldn't find anything on the dam.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
Sire:
SG1 Keiko vom Haus Amoros

Couldn't find anything on the dam.
OMG he is drop dead GoRgEoUs! Im gonna have to use this website for my research! Thanks so much GSDGunner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.