When to Begin - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default When to Begin

How far in advance should you actually start talking to breeders? Should you wait until you're interested in adding a pup/dog within the year?

I plan to add a German Shepherd to our family in the next few years. I would prefer to add one .. tomorrow.. but that's not a practical, studied response but rather an emotional one! I miss having a GSD around as it has been a few years now. When I was slavering over puppy pictures this weekend, my husband walked by and said "Some day". I just want that 'day' to be a lot sooner than he does!. I understand his thinking (he's a very analytical and objective person): we work long hours and in fact he is often working out of town 4 days a week. I am usually gone from 7:30ish until 5:30 (and Mondays it's even later, 8:30 or 9:00 sometimes and Wednesdays it's 7:00). Assuming I can work out something for potty breaks for the puppy (we live in a rural area and the 'city' is smallish so professional assistance is out), is this too long for a baby to be alone? I know it's a long time.

I would like to add a qualifier that I would try my best to get an older puppy if possible, 12-16 weeks and that should help with the time the puppy can hold it.

I am also struggling with the 'type' of dog that would be best suited for our family. It must get along with rotten persians and have an off switch for evenings in the house. As to exercise, realistically, the pup will mainly have full out zoomie play (fetch, chase), followed by lessons (obedience first and then more than likely other things added later). We can't do walks in our area. No shoulder to our road and the speed limit is 55mph. In the evening, more play followed by lessons and probably an evening or two of classes, with more time to do things on the weekend.

I know that doesn't sound like much exercise, but it seemed to work well for my heart GSD that I lost to an accident. He was super smart and easy to train and very calm in the house. If anyone has other ideas about how I could incorporate exercise into our routine, I'm all for it.

I am leaning toward working lines; however, am concerned that there's not enough going on for him to be happy. I also love a dog with a lot of black on it, bi-color, black/tan with black face, dark sable, and they seem more prevalent in the working lines.

If anyone can recommend a breeder in Texas I would love to hear of your experiences. I have been doing some searching/reading on my own and if I were getting a dog right now I would be talking about this one:

Untitled 0
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have heard nothing but good things about Mellodee. I met her and one of her dogs many years ago. Haven't seen anything she has bred, though, in awhile. Someone worth talking to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I cannot comment on the breeder, but really the earlier you start looking the better. You can find a breeder and be connected to them; find a breeder who breeds the dog you are looking for and someone you like as a person. It also gives you plenty of time to have you puppy application (if they have one) completed, and you can be on the waiting list for the next liter. Your husband and yourself reminds me of my husband and I. If you are looking to get one in a year, I would being the foot work now looking for the lines, and breeder you want. I havs started my search in getting a GSD puppy within a year, and I have already talked to breeder numerous time, and filled out a puppy app and been approved. I feel much better going about it this way, because I actually feel like I know the breeder and owner as a person.

It is possible to find a good breeder who uses some working lines, but they're dogs do have the off switch you are looking for. Getting along with the cats should not be an issue, and if the puppy gets too interested you can always set bouaries and rules with the cats.

As far as exercise, you could start looking for a good places to take your dog for exercise if you cannot walk them around the neighborhood. I have also seen people use the treadmill to get the "edge" off before taking them to work/train. If you are really committed you can find a way to get the dog the exercise it needs. If you do not think you can provide a lot of exercise I would just look for someone with lower drive dogs (they still have working drive, just not over the top).
andi_kg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

What about if the time frame is more than a year away? Maybe more than two? I'm not certain exactly when we will be ready for a puppy. Right now I have a senior dog (13 year old shih tzu) that is having arthritic issues and I really don't want to subject him to someone pouncing on him or being rough in his retirement years. Should I wait until it's more in the time frame of "within the next year?"
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I started my search in November of last year. I'll be getting my pup in March. Mellodee
was one of the breeders I spoke with. She was extremely nice and pleasant to talk with.
tropicalsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you contact breeders and talk with and let them know what you are looking for your time frame I think most good breeders are have to have a relationship with you no matter how long it takes for your timing to be right. I had a buyer who contacted me every month for about a year and a half waiting for the right litter. I would say go talk to them
V-Miky z Tresnaku Zvv3,KKL1*
V-Grim z Jeniku IPO3 KKL
V-Asko von der Sperberquelle Sch3 KKL1*
V- Darka Jipo Me IPO3 KKL
V- Honor z vom Weberhaus IPO2 KKL
weberhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.