Half brother/sister - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Half brother/sister

Found a pup it was breed for the Grandfathers traits is this something I should avoid? They are half brother and sister. Thanks
Nikoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Depends on the mating - if the breeder knows what they are doing, it could be a positive. If the breeder does not, it can be a disaster. Personally, I avoid any breeding closer than 2-3. Half siblings to each other would be 2-2 line breeding.

What is your goal for the puppy - why do you think this is a good match for you - how do you believe this close breeding will help further your goals for the dog?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The mother of my foundation bitch was a 2-2 linebreeding (actually more than that). It is not something a breeder should do without a lot of knowledge of the dogs and lines they are using (most don't or they are doing it as a matter of convenience).
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I deliberately wanted to consolidate some aspects which would allow me to "go out" and still conserve highly desireable traits in future generations .
this sire "Chill" and two offspring from this combination went in to police service . The female I kept back is the dam and grand dam of many service dogs . Carmspack Sabrina

No health orthopedice or behavioural negatives came out - because before that all the generations backward on the females Kimarli and Jinga (littermates) had been minimized to eliminated . Kimarli was my dam, her sister Jinga produced some notable dogs for a west coast kennel including SAR (rcmp) , top winning SchH , and breed animals. Then this is a result of where I am now with this planned for (close breeding) going out with other genetics
Carmspack Sumo
who was bred to Chiba Parchimer Land resulting in this combination -- Line-breeding for the progency of Carmspack Sumo and Chiba vom Parchimer Land

I put this out to show you that this scheme can be used to great positive effect .
On the other hand without knowledge , or I would go so far as to say a person's first or second generation experience , it could represent risk . You have to know what you have , all layers of a pedigree , not just the two being put together . Plus you need to consider what the non-related side of the pedigree , since they are half - related , each one has one different sire , or one different dam , which contribute to the results . Then you have to examine how related they are .

post a pedigree .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

I will try to post one the father is Icon Vom haus huro and the mother is Discoe Vom haus huro. The grandfather would be V1 Digger Vom Haus Lena
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

breeding: Line-breeding for the progency of UCH VP1 SG14(NASS) Icon Vom Haus Huro and SG2, CAC Discoe vom haus Huro

What is your goal and purpose for the dog? What do you think this close breeding offers you?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

She will be a friend for my male and some obedience maybe a show or two nothing major. Just want a sound family dog mostly.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

this particular pedigree is already intensely linebred , so see no reason to further reduce the gene pool.

In your example Icon and Discoe share the same sire Digger. So the "other" genetics would be provided by the dams portion. Let's create a virtual breeding to the dam's genetics , Ava and Laika - but you won't get too far with two females so one needs to be represented by a male sibling . Ava did not have any posted so Laika is being represented by her brother Lennox . This is what that breeding would look like Line-breeding for the progency of Lennox vom Teutopaß and Ava von Viera

Having looked at only the Lennox (LAIKA) portion of that pedigree , by going to the last column of dogs on the pedigree data base and seeing the inbreeding/linebreeding I see that there is very little variation in the breeding stock, most being based heavily on Uran Wildsteigerland , so 8 animals (just the sire's portion ) I see this linebreeding on Uran 445 - 54554 - 5355 - 5355 - 344 - 455 - 44 .
on the female represented by Ava - Uran 45 - 43 - 55555 - 44 - BUT throughout the total pedigree there are other routes to Canto Wienerau.

you decide
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess what I forgot to mention was I really don't have a clue on this linebreeding thing everywhere I look I get different answers I just want a healthy sound pup.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Like most German showlines, the pedigrees of both parents already have a lot of linebreeding and backmassing. Which essentially means that the genetic diversity is diminished. To further limit the genetics by doing such a close inbreeding of half siblings would seem unwise to me. It is one thing to do a close linebreeding to concentrate the genetics of a particular dog when using pedigrees that are otherwise fairly open, but a very different thing entirely to do that when the pedigrees are already somewhat of a genetic bottleneck.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.