Buying a puppy from a breeder is a "gamble" - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Member

I have heard that structure at 7 weeks will give you a good idea of what the general structure will be as an adult. I would think you would certainly need to have a "trained eye" to be able to see this though. I personally am terrible at looking at structure in puppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #52 (permalink)
Crowned Member

to answer this " you ever hear the breeder didn't have a
pup that's a match for me" speaking for myself the answer is YES -- often refer people to another litter , or another individual pup , or even to another breeder- not specifically just tell them I don't have what they are looking for.
to this "Some dogs will do things just for the sake of it, and are born that way. Some dogs don't need to be taught the motivation to do the work, whether it be agility, herding, Schutzhund, etc. If you want to do really well at one thing, why not buy a dog that is born to do it? " 100% true .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good post Lisa!
No dog comes out ready to bite the sleeve, this is just an expression....but just like you can breed for pets that have barely any drive, you can breed for over the top prey which will result in high percent of dogs born ready to bite the sleeve...lol......hope that makes sense. Hopefully nobody is breeding for people's individual wants because that's how the breed got plucked up in the first place.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

All dogs are a crap shoot.....because the environmental influences will play into the dogs ability and trainability.

That being said, getting a puppy from a breeder who has been sucessful at producing working dogs - in many venues - will load the dice to get you what you want.

I had a pup in my "C" litter - the pup was a monkey....he would scale the walls of the puppy pen, climb over and upwards on storage boxes and end up on top of the washing machine or halfway up blocked stairway.....he went to a SAR home, and ended up as a State Trooper - who is a successful narcotics, border patrol, SAR dog...one who at 2 years old tested by a German judge/LE officer-trainer who scoffed at the notion that the dog did not have bitework training. He hadn't, he was genetically capable and strong.....

A stable, balanced pup should be able to be trained in most any sport. And, if your interest so lies, dual titled.....IPO, agility, flyball, dock dogs, AKC OB....Willy, you have seen IPO3 dogs of my breeding doing flyball...the dog who is agility titled should have been IPO trained - she would have excelled at it...have played at agility with several and all take to it like ducks to water...yet these are dogs who are strong in IPO sport too....herding - although none titled before I sent Kira to Meghan, I was pretty sure because of demonstrated ability/instinct and pedigree that she would be suitable...for IPO as well as herding....

One key is finding a puppy whose breeder understands their lines, is consistant with using elements within pedigrees and who is producing solid, stable dogs - the rest is up to you to accomplish...you get only the raw material from a breeder.

If you want an absolute guarantee, then get a dog who is already doing a sport, is health tested and spend time bonding with him.

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiM View Post
But if for example he doesn't "cap" well you will not have a consistent start line, consistent contacts and will have a hard time with collection, tight turns etc. I think that an ability to "cap" for example is largely a genetic trait that is vital to being highly competitive.
Totally agree, never said otherwise. A dog that can't cap is faulty temperament, IMO. A hectic dog that can't think can be a nightmare to train. I'm not trying to debate the specifics of the agility obstacles (I do agility too so this is not new to me) but that much of what Willy is probably looking for in a dog *is* genetic; whether he wants to do agility or Schutzhund or SAR or PPD with his next GSD doesn't matter, whatever sport he chooses means there are things one can look for in the genetics of the dog. When I buy my dogs I do not just pick breeders I like or am friends with and think "oh it's a GSD so it will automatically be good at anything." No, I pick breeders that are actually have dogs doing what I want to do with their dogs and prove to me that their lines are genetically inclined to enjoy the type of training I'm interested in. You can't just look at the dog in front of you because if you're looking at a puppy a lot of things aren't developed yet. I bought a dog that was going to be a higher drive dog with high prey drive as indicated by the pedigree and the breeder's knowledge of the lines. The dog's prey drive literally turned on overnight around 7 months of age but if I'd ignored the dog's genetics and simply selected the puppy I would have chosen wrong.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #56 (permalink)

how old is a german shepherd when fully grown in size
Checker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Believe me, Marcia never had to motivate Navarre to run agility. HE LOVED it and still does. Next to bitework it is his favorite things to do.
Lisa- I missed this. If you happen to have any video of Navarre doing agility, can you PM them to me. Nice pictures of him on your website!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #58 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wildo- You might laugh, but Max has really taken to his agility training. He charges thru the tunnel, leaps on the pause table, downs immediately (yep!) , starting to weave..and he loves it. He is jumping nicely, planning his distances. The person helping me said "Man, I just love working-line dogs..they love to work! "
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

with training and socializing we tell the dog what to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post

As the saying goes "pedigree says what a dog should be, the dog tells you who he IS".
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #60 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You cannot train and socialize the right drives or nerve into a dog. You can make the most of what you got but if it is not there you cannot put it there.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.