Looking for Breeder - Experience with these? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Looking for Breeder - Experience with these?

I've been researching for some time and with so many breeders online it's hard to make a decision without your help!

I live in the Dakotas and would appreciate the convenience of proximity, but am more than willing to pay for shipping from a more distant breeder. I'm looking for my dream GSD: German working lines, interested in DDR, possible Czech. I speak German and will be using German commands.

I'm not new to training dogs in obedience, I've owned dogs all my life, but have "0" experience when it comes to training working dogs. I am ready to start off and have invested over a year in research and want to start with the right dog.

I'm hoping to keep it < $2k. I want to work up from the beginning.. looking for protection/sport, companion.

Any breeder recommendations?

Any experience or thoughts on these breeders:

Von der Haus Gill

Treu Haus Kennels

Gaardog Shepherds
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Von Der Haus Gill

I have a female from Haus Gill. She is CZECH/DDR. She is a very nice dog! Of course I think my dog is the smartest thing ever. The process dealing with Haus Gill was nice from visiting the kennels and leaving deposit to picking up the pup.
My only bad thing was not getting Registration Papers for 2 years. I also got a DDR female from a friend that purchased from Haus Gill, again.....very nice soild female.....and again 2 years to get the papers. So if you are pressed to have papers right away then probably not the place. Mr. Gill was very helpful through all of that and I should note that as well. He was very informative as far training goes and is quite knowledgeable. If you are looking in the Ohio Kentucky region you might want to try
AZZI INTERNATIONAL
and
New Page 1
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

German Shepherd Breeders Puppies Protection Omegashepherds.com

My GSD is out of their kennel and when they say high drive, they are HIGH DRIVE. Almost more than I could honestly handle.

But beautiful and very healthy dogs!

They are just south of Helena, MT.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default ... more

Quote:
The process dealing with Haus Gill was nice from visiting the kennels and leaving deposit to picking up the pup.
My searching has only found good things about Haus Gill. Their website is pretty encouraging.

I have a deposit down on what I believed was the best litter possibility out of Gaardog. There was bad sickness in the litter and a male was lost, the others made it out and are getting better. I'm hesitant to select from the remaining males.

Could anyone look at this litter and pedigree and offer opinions?

Dartagnan and Kafi Litter 3

Sire: New Page 0

Dam: New Page 0

Thank you!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
mnm
Master Member

I'm located in Nebraska :-)
Ebene v Kindheitstraum CGC
Gin v d Traumwolfen
http://www.traumwolfen.com/

RIP
Enni (Elsa) v Klipgaarden HOT SchH1 CD
Viggo v Adel Haus TR1 CD
mnm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like haus Gill more than the Gaard dog as far as getting a good solid dog. But that is just an opinion.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know the breeders at True Haus, they are great folks to work with and are breeding some great working dogs.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would not recommend Gaardog.
sddeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Besides Gaardog, I am unfamiliar with the other two breeders you posted. Other people on the boards may chime in more regarding those options.

Since you are in the Dakotas, there is this breeder in MN who has been recommended that breeds working line GSD's.

Staatsmacht Kennel, one of the top working lines kennel in the world
sddeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Dartagnan and Kafi Litter 3 This is one of her popular repeat litters. Dartagnan is the full brother to my Sting - same litter. Dartagnan really has a great temperament wants to please very easy to train - Anne told me that she had been waiting a long time to get one with a temperament like his. I don't know about Kafi but I have heard from someone in New Jersey who posted on another thread that he is real pleased with his GSD - that was from the same breeding. But as far as I know he is not working his dog in any sport. Anne takes real good care of her puppies and dogs. You say you want a working line dog - and that isn't this litter or any of hers. Anne's breeds primarily companion (pet) dogs and the not strict working lines. If you are really serious about a working line GSD, you will want to make sure the parents are titled. Whatever breeder you chose, the health of the parents is really important (OFA on hips and elbows or the German equivalent and preferably 3 generations back) and the parentage cleared for DM. In this breeding, there is no DM clearance, Dartagan has an OFA rating but Kafi has none. So my suggestion, is if I were you I would look elsewhere. You may want to consider a young adult or an adult dog - Minneapolis has an active K9 rescue and often has working line GSDs or Malinois.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.