Looking for Breeder - Experience with these? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Carmen, I saw all that as you know, but I just gave a condensed reason why I saw one better than the other. I really don't have the time or desire to enter into combat on this one. Lol. If people feel the two breeders are comparable....go with it....doesn't make me any difference. If some people think I don't know what I am talking about, or the bloodlines can't give you this opinion....then fine for them. I'm not here to prove anything to anybody....if that makes me not credible than so be it.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yes , I know Cliff , but people are here to learn and sometimes a cryptic message , which means something to an experienced person, is totally lost or more confusing to those that want to learn and are asking for information.
hope you had a good holiday!

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Why is she producing "very shy" puppies?
Anne was upfront with me that this pup in the litter was very shy and would not do well in a town environment. The other pups in the litter were fine. I was last on the list and this was the pup that was left and she advised me not to take it. It would be the same if a buyer had children, and had last pick, and the only pup left would not do well with children. Does that mean that the breeder is producing puppies that don't do well with children? Or if the buyer wanted to show their dog, and had last pick, and the only pup left in the breeder's opinion would not turn out to be a show dog but was "pet quality" - does that mean the breeder is only producing dogs that aren't show quality?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Carmen, I understand about the cryptic response, but sometime when you give detail on dogs or lines or even breedings, there are so many things that if you say many will not understand that maybe just in this case this is true, or certain anecdotal things that you have found that it is difficult to quantify,( especially negative things that alarms people that may have that dog in the pedigree )but their situation is different and doesn't apply....many reasons why I find it easier to just give basics anymore. Then if your thinking or process is not like the experts see things....well you know. It's just not worth it.....time to wind down...lol and let the now lead to future....smile. I have five grandchildren here from 18 to 8....that makes my holidays!.....Take care!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
Anne was upfront with me that this pup in the litter was very shy and would not do well in a town environment. The other pups in the litter were fine. I was last on the list and this was the pup that was left and she advised me not to take it. It would be the same if a buyer had children, and had last pick, and the only pup left would not do well with children. Does that mean that the breeder is producing puppies that don't do well with children? Or if the buyer wanted to show their dog, and had last pick, and the only pup left in the breeder's opinion would not turn out to be a show dog but was "pet quality" - does that mean the breeder is only producing dogs that aren't show quality?
It sounds like you're making excuses for the breeder. There is a big difference between a pup with a very shy temperament and one that isn't show quality--I don't know this breeder, but also I'd wonder about a pup that does not do well with children. I don't know if she breeds for show quality, I don't know what she breeds for at all.

I'm glad the breeder was honest and up front about the pup's temperament and refused to sell it to the wrong home. I am sure she is a nice person. However, if a breeder is producing "very shy" temperaments, pups that don't do well with children, etc., I have to wonder what is going on with the breeding program. Maybe that very shy pup was the only one ever, and she'll never repeat the breeding. But this is exactly why dogs need to be titled or tested before breeding--though doing so, a weakness in the parents' temperament could have been discovered. Maybe only a slight weakness in each parent combined to make a serious weakness in the offspring.

I know that some puppies are more bold and some are more cautious, in every litter. I don't know though, do you *good* breeders out there ever see a "very shy" pup in your litters?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, they do see them. Even here, on this board, we see 'very shy' puppies from well known and often recommended breeders, and from titled stock. And I do not believe this is an indication of a bad breeder, though. Well, if a breeder has a good tempered puppy only once in a while then it's a different story. At least the breeder in question called the puppy shy and not 'reserved', 'aloof', 'protective', or 'he'll get used to his new home and be just fine'.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

lets go straight!!!if someone do not know the parents of that may be puppy or offspring of these, do not make a comment. every thing else is guessing.

go to this breeder or where ever you see offspring,watch them, play with them or what ever.you get with a puppy a partner for more than 10 years!!!
Stefan Schaub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok folks, I will not be commenting on pedigrees or dogs unless I have met them.
You people have no idea that I am not helping you when I give an opinion without seeing the dogs......sure will lessen my pm box....Happy Holidays!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Schaub View Post
lets go straight!!!if someone do not know the parents of that may be puppy or offspring of these, do not make a comment. every thing else is guessing.

go to this breeder or where ever you see offspring,watch them, play with them or what ever.you get with a puppy a partner for more than 10 years!!!
Some people have no idea what the difference between a working pedigree is and a pet line pedigree (such as the two kennels in question) and are looking for some guidance. Your kennel has a very well respected "brand" because of the bloodlines you use and the accomplishments of the dogs you breed. I suspect that many people approach you about buying your dogs who have never travelled to your place to "play with the puppies".

Last edited by robk; 12-27-2012 at 09:06 AM.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

No comments; I live nowhere near there but below is a good general post for the OP and I have not seen it mentioned. (Maybe it was on another thread)

Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

you can verify any OFA status here (note this does not list a-stamps but in any event the breeder should have that documentation on hand)

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.