Big red flags on the Breeder we got our dog from? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big red flags on the Breeder we got our dog from?

So we wanted a dog, and found a local breeder. We went to see the puppies and we wanted a specific one from the website.

So, we end up getting the dog, and just a receipt for the purchase. The breeder said the papers take 30 days and that she will give them to me when I take the puppy back for his second set of shots.

Does this sound right to you?

I have constant cell phone contact with her, sometimes lengthy conversations, but something doesn't seem right. Even on the transaction receipt I wrote the dogs name, and that the purchase is for the dog with all his papers.

I can't find anything online about the breeder in a negative way. I could only locate another older website that they use, and I couldn't find anything negative online or with any agency about them.

I did not meet the father or the mother dog either.

Thoughts?

Thank you, great forum you have here.
SchutzenWoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you only see one pup or the whole litter? Most breeders have all the paperwork in order at the time the pups leave at 8 weeks. There are too many unanswered questions to even know whether or not you've been duped. How did you find out about the breeder? Internet classified?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Each puppy I've bought has come with a paper that gives me instructions for logging on the AKC web site, putting in a code, and then registering my dog and ordering whatever additional papers I want. Papers are important to me because I need them for showing, so I don't pay for the puppy unless I have the ability to register the dog in my hand. I've never had to wait for anything from the breeder but just based on that I wouldn't make accusations on a public forum. I guess it just depends on what is important to you....did you expect to receive papers? Did you want to meet the mother and father? These things are important to me but maybe not important to someone else.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If I remember correctly I didn't get the papers for my golden on the spot. The breeder did mail them to me and then I sent them in. I did get to meet the parents and all the puppies. I never purchased a pure breed, so I didn't know how it was suppose to go. I did pay by check, so maybe they were waiting for the check to clear?? I know mine held the check because I wasn't sure if the puppy would work in the household or if I was even prepared enough for a puppy. She told me i could bring him back if it didn't work, although she was confident it would. I have gone back with him quite a few times to visit.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 12-09-2012 at 01:40 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Maybe the breeder was swamped and didn't send the papers in on time to have them ready for the pick up? For my litter I faxed everything over and they had puppy papers within about 2-3 wks from my fax date as they were a bit backed up. If you have any questions ask the breeder for clarification and if you want to see the parents as to set up a meeting?
Diesel-GSD
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My breeder mailed the papers to me but that was over 10 yrs ago. When we rescued tasha she came with her papers.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi,

Thanks for the responses so far. Yes, I purposely left out any identifying information so as not to make accusations. I am hoping that they are just not very organized, as everything I am finding really doesn't look good for us. Everything I read says NEVER ever pay for the dog until you have the documents.

This lady is very nice, really cares about the dogs, but just seems like she's a little all over the place. I hope that means she's just unorganized with the docs. The pedigree databases that someone like us would have access too don't show the pup registered. The father and the grandfather are in there though. At least the dogs she told us the puppy came from are listed anyhow. I guess you never know which dogs bred with who unless you actually watch the whole process of them mating.

She also said that she wants to use my dog to breed later, and I have intentions of showing him, or she wouldn't be able to breed him. They had another litter of puppies there too. Our dog was a singleton from a first time bred dam.

I hope I'm wrong. Something just feels weird about this, given that everyone says that a legitimate breeder would send you home with all the docs on the day of purchase.

Thank you for all the responses.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Next Thursday when I pick my boy up (squee!) I'll be finalizing all paperwork with the breeder on the day. He will submit all paperwork for his name etc to dogsNSW for his title. I will get him on full register. Then once we become members I transfer the title to our name. Though in Australia they may handle these things a little different

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, she also gave me the contact info for the dogs father, so I can go see him. I'm very new to this whole breeder thing. I have lots of experience with german shepherds, but none with breeders.

I'd love to send some of the people that want dogs to her, I just want to make sure my transaction is closed completely first.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Did you only see one pup or the whole litter? Most breeders have all the paperwork in order at the time the pups leave at 8 weeks. There are too many unanswered questions to even know whether or not you've been duped. How did you find out about the breeder? Internet classified?
I just figured out how to quote people. Haha.

Yes, we found them online. I had some shady experience with another breeder first where they wouldn't show me the contract before we made the purchase. We moved on to other breeders. This breeder where we got the dog doesn't have a contract.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.