Big red flags on the Breeder we got our dog from? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly1331 View Post
Maybe the breeder was swamped and didn't send the papers in on time to have them ready for the pick up? For my litter I faxed everything over and they had puppy papers within about 2-3 wks from my fax date as they were a bit backed up. If you have any questions ask the breeder for clarification and if you want to see the parents as to set up a meeting?
Yes, it's possible they are really swamped. I am a business man by trade and maybe just a little too formal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
If I remember correctly I didn't get the papers for my golden on the spot. The breeder did mail them to me and then I sent them in. I did get to meet the parents and all the puppies. I never purchased a pure breed, so I didn't know how it was suppose to go. I did pay by check, so maybe they were waiting for the check to clear?? I know mine held the check because I wasn't sure if the puppy would work in the household or if I was even prepared enough for a puppy. She told me i could bring him back if it didn't work, although she was confident it would. I have gone back with him quite a few times to visit.
This is encouraging. I am hearing some legitimate cases where people did not get their papers the day of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Each puppy I've bought has come with a paper that gives me instructions for logging on the AKC web site, putting in a code, and then registering my dog and ordering whatever additional papers I want. Papers are important to me because I need them for showing, so I don't pay for the puppy unless I have the ability to register the dog in my hand. I've never had to wait for anything from the breeder but just based on that I wouldn't make accusations on a public forum. I guess it just depends on what is important to you....did you expect to receive papers? Did you want to meet the mother and father? These things are important to me but maybe not important to someone else.
I hear this a lot.

Thanks for the continued information.
SchutzenWoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchutzenWoof View Post

She also said that she wants to use my dog to breed later
I might consider this a red flag.

How does she know, at this puppy's age, that he is breedworthy? Why does she want to breed this specific puppy? You can't make those kinds of decisions for an 8 week old pup... sure, you can be hopeful, but if you have aspirations for a certain pup, you usually want to keep or co-own that dog with someone you know and trust.

Breeders, would you sell a pup on a breeding contract, or would you want to retain at least part ownership?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I bought my puppy and had to wait to get the AKC paperwork mailed to me. The breeder used an outside male and the owner of the male had to see and give approval of the puppy first before she would let it carry her kennel name. I had a past relationship with the owner of the stud that was used and didn't have a problem trusting that the paperwork would be forwarded to me. It helps to use a breeder that you trust.
Odin24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've never had to wait for registration papers, altho I do know that some breeders send them in later than others, so that isn't really a red flag for me.

What is weird to me, is that you had to basically write out a receipt? and she signed it?

No contract doesn't raise a red flag to me, because again, there are some breeders who don't have contracts, (european?) but wanting to use your dog for breeding would be a concern since as one posted, how do they know the dog would be 'breedable' when it's only 8 weeks old? Maybe they mean, "IF" the dog is breed worthy she'd like to use it?

With no contract stipulating that, you can do or not do whatever you like with "your" dog

I would just wait out the 30 days and see what transpires, I hope your happy with your puppy otherwise and of course we'd LOVE to see PICTURES!:

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchutzenWoof View Post
The pedigree databases that someone like us would have access too don't show the pup registered. The father and the grandfather are in there though. At least the dogs she told us the puppy came from are listed anyhow. I guess you never know which dogs bred with who unless you actually watch the whole process of them mating.
If you mean THE Pedigree Database, it's a free site and not an official registry so you can add your dog at any time. Your dog won't show up until someone adds him, even if he's already registered with the AKC.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I had to wait for Grim's papers as well. My breeder had a lot of things going on and didn't get the papers right away.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yes, a verbal understanding was IF he is good for breeding, it would be something that we'd consider.

Again, I just want to make sure that I'm clear that this is all exploratory conjecture at this point.

I am very thorough with everything I do, and the research I've done leans towards "no papers at purchase time", no dog.

I'd love to refer this particular breeder more clients, as I routinely travel in the demographic that can still afford the money that line breeding dogs require. You would think that would be a motivator too.

We shall see. A lot of what you've all written here is comforting, and I hope we're just dealing with someone who doesn't really like paperwork.

Much appreciated, and YES pictures soon!
SchutzenWoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin24 View Post
I bought my puppy and had to wait to get the AKC paperwork mailed to me. The breeder used an outside male and the owner of the male had to see and give approval of the puppy first before she would let it carry her kennel name. I had a past relationship with the owner of the stud that was used and didn't have a problem trusting that the paperwork would be forwarded to me. It helps to use a breeder that you trust.
Interesting because the litter generally carries the kennel name of the dam not the sire as the breeder is the owner of the dam not the owner of the sire.

I wouldn't touch a dog that doesn't have papers presented at the purchase time unless there were real legitimate reasons. The biggest one being that the female or the male are having their papers transferred from a European registry to an American one. I believe that as soon as your register a litter, the breeder can get a litter number. The litter number is all you need to register your dog online on the AKC website.

I'm not saying you won't get registration on the dog, but this does sound weird to me. If my business was breeding dogs, one of the first things I would be doing is registering a litter once it was born. I'm pretty positive that its a small fee and just a single piece of paper sent to the AKC with the dam's and sire's registration numbers.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Elly Mays AKC papers came in the mail about a week after I got her.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

What I would do is make sure you take the puppy to the vet for an examination. Never took a pup back to a breeder for shots before.

I have gotten papers different ways, sometimes with the name of the puppy filed in for me to send in, others with it blank.....with Beau, she had already registered him and it was just transfer paperwork even though he was about 10 weeks old. So I gather it is all over the place how it winds up.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.