Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
There are a few possibilities, and it is not unusual for breeders to take deposits before a breeding has taken place. They will usually allow you to transfer it to a new litter, or get a refund, if no puppies are produced.
With most dogs you can tell they are pregnant by the time the 4th or 5th week comes around, and you will know for sure by then, even without an ultrasound. However, on more than one occasion, I have had breeder friends tell me their dog didn't take, and then the dog goes into labour and voila, puppies! Just the dog wasn't showing.
I have had on one occasion a breeder friend think that the dog WAS pregnant right up until the 6th week, then all of a sudden all of the outward signs dissappeared...Maybe there were puppies and she lost them? A little late, but you never know? Maybe she had a very convincing false pregnancy? You could definitely feel little "balls" in there...
If it was me, I would look at the other litter, are they even dogs from lines that I want? If not, ask for a refund and find another breeder. If so, ask to speak to the actual breeder of the import puppy, and then make your decision.
Your kids will absolutely be heartbroken, but explain everything and how you want to make sure you get them the best friend that you can, and sometimes it takes more time. Rushing this could end badly, if you just a get a puppy to get a puppy...get the puppy that has the best chance of being a forever member of your family.