breeder red flag? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default breeder red flag?

This is my first time dealing with a breeder and I need to know if this is normal. This is partially venting some frustration (raging hormonal pregnant woman here!) but Im concerned that maybe we should look at a new breeder.
About two months ago I put a $200 deposit on a puppy for an upcoming litter. The litter was due to be born today. Last night I get a message from them saying the dog wasn't actually pregnant. What?! Is this common? They don't do any sort of confirmation of pregnancy before they take people's money and promise them a dog? I don't understand how they could not know until the day before she was due.
Now they've offered us an import puppy from Germany for an extra $600. I don't think I can justify the extra cost. My kids are going to be heartbroken
I don't know what to do. Im probably over reacting, and maybe this happens all the time. Would you pay the extra money if it was in your budget, or would walk away and ask for your deposit back?
Fephie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

From one hormonal pregnant lady to another, there is no excuse for this breeder not notifying you that the pregnancy didnt take until the night before the due date. That is shady-at best its inconsiderate-and I'd get my money back (if you can) and go elsewhere. There is no way I'd give that person more money for another puppy.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
From one hormonal pregnant lady to another, there is no excuse for this breeder not notifying you that the pregnancy didnt take until the night before the due date. That is shady-at best its inconsiderate-and I'd get my money back (if you can) and go elsewhere. There is no way I'd give that person more money for another puppy.
Agree 100%.. and I am not a hormonal pregnant lady That's not cool at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is possible the dog was pregnant at 3 weeks, which is when some breeders do ultrasounds, but then the pregnancy terminated/resorbed/aborted.
Many breeders do not do xrays later and there is no "easy" pregnancy test as there is for people (although of course there are tests).
Some dogs look pregnant when they are not. Some dogs do not look pregnant when they are.

Any way you look at it as the potential puppy buyer.... it is very disheartening. Understandable for sure.

IMO, deposits put on litters that do not produce a puppy for a buyer, should be refunded.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

There are a few possibilities, and it is not unusual for breeders to take deposits before a breeding has taken place. They will usually allow you to transfer it to a new litter, or get a refund, if no puppies are produced.

With most dogs you can tell they are pregnant by the time the 4th or 5th week comes around, and you will know for sure by then, even without an ultrasound. However, on more than one occasion, I have had breeder friends tell me their dog didn't take, and then the dog goes into labour and voila, puppies! Just the dog wasn't showing.

I have had on one occasion a breeder friend think that the dog WAS pregnant right up until the 6th week, then all of a sudden all of the outward signs dissappeared...Maybe there were puppies and she lost them? A little late, but you never know? Maybe she had a very convincing false pregnancy? You could definitely feel little "balls" in there...

If it was me, I would look at the other litter, are they even dogs from lines that I want? If not, ask for a refund and find another breeder. If so, ask to speak to the actual breeder of the import puppy, and then make your decision.

Your kids will absolutely be heartbroken, but explain everything and how you want to make sure you get them the best friend that you can, and sometimes it takes more time. Rushing this could end badly, if you just a get a puppy to get a puppy...get the puppy that has the best chance of being a forever member of your family.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Do they do Brucellosis testing on stud and mom?

It may be a sign that a newborn, other kids, and a German Shepherd puppy could be a bit...overwhelming?!?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

It has happened to me, though I didn't put a deposit down. It's not all that rare for the breedings to not take. Some breeders are more communicative than others. For me this is not necessarily a red flag though I would expect a deposit to be refunded since there are no puppies. The deposit is there to protect the breeder from people backing out but they can't take money for a dog that doesn't exist.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

In some cases there is false pregnancies and also where the puppies are reabsorbed. The only way to make sure is an ultrasound. It's sad that this occurred. The deposit should definitely be refunded or go to another litter if possible.
I would find out why it took so long to let you know. Then maybe you will be able to make a more educated decision on where to go from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have no doubt that I will be able to get my deposit back. I also have the option of waiting for the next litter due in January. I just dont know if I should wait again with this guy or move on to another breeder. I felt really confident that made the right choice until now. He came highly recommended, very experienced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Do they do Brucellosis testing on stud and mom?

It may be a sign that a newborn, other kids, and a German Shepherd puppy could be a bit...overwhelming?!?
Well, not that it matters but Im actually pregnant as a surrogate mother for a friend. So it will just be puppy and the kids
Fephie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had something very similar happen to me. I put a $750 deposit down on a litter that never happened due to false pregnancy. Deposit was nonrefundable.

Breeder offered to sell me a pup from another litter, for an additional $1,000 on the purchase price. I had no problem transferring my deposit to another litter, but we had contracted at a specified purchase price ($1,500, not $2,500) and I wanted the breeder to honor that price. I was willing to honor the part of the contract that said the deposit was nonrefundable, I felt the whole contract should have been honored.

It took more than a year to get a puppy from the breeder. In hindsight I should have walked away and chalked it up to experience. But I didn't, and I soon learned that there were other issues I had to contend with in dealing with this breeder.

False pregnancy happens. And many breeders take deposits on unborn litters. But I think you can tell a lot about a breeder's ethics by how easily you can reach a resolution regarding transferring the deposit. The contract was for a specific price, that contract should be honored. Otherwise void the whole thing and return the deposit money.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.