German Shepherds Forum banner

breeder red flag?

8K views 44 replies 31 participants last post by  Fancy 
#1 ·
This is my first time dealing with a breeder and I need to know if this is normal. This is partially venting some frustration (raging hormonal pregnant woman here!) but Im concerned that maybe we should look at a new breeder.
About two months ago I put a $200 deposit on a puppy for an upcoming litter. The litter was due to be born today. Last night I get a message from them saying the dog wasn't actually pregnant. What?! Is this common? They don't do any sort of confirmation of pregnancy before they take people's money and promise them a dog? I don't understand how they could not know until the day before she was due.
Now they've offered us an import puppy from Germany for an extra $600. I don't think I can justify the extra cost. My kids are going to be heartbroken :(
I don't know what to do. Im probably over reacting, and maybe this happens all the time. Would you pay the extra money if it was in your budget, or would walk away and ask for your deposit back?

#33 ·
Then you have the other option. I just don't take deposits. If someone decides to move on then so be it.

#34 ·
I don't think the quality or repute of a breeder can be ascertained through answering the question of whether or not they accept deposits. Or by how aggressively/expensively they investigate the status of the supposed pregnancy.

But I surely do believe that an ethical, reputable breeder will NOT wait for those who have given deposits to contact them for updates to share the news that there is no litter. And I also believe that an ethical, reputable breeder would also honor the contracted purchase price and offer at least one comparable replacement option at that contracted purchase price.

After all, if you (the universal breeder "you") insist on following the letter of the contract that says no refunds ever, then all aspects of that contract should be followed, including the purchase price. Picking and choosing which aspects of a contract you'll follow in the case of a problem stinks.
Sheilah

#35 ·
I don't know anything about breeding dogs but I do know a lot about communication. A good communicator considers how the message will be received. In this case, while it may have seemed normal to the breeder that the dog was not pregnant, to the buyer, this might not make sense at all. It would have been helpful for the breeder to offer the buyer some kind of explanation. If he/she can educate the buyer and help it make sense to him/her, both parites would benefit. Failing to do this does not make the breeder a bad breeder at all. My 2 cents.

#39 ·
Nicely said,
Professionals in any field sometimes take things for granted and in there mind instantly chalk it up as a "given" and unintentionally forget that not everyone knows as much as they do on the subject. I am guilty of this as well as other professionals in any field. Sometimes we just unintentionally disregard the competency level of who we are speaking with.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#36 ·
Lisa... do you not accept anything to hold until the pups are old enough to go home?

#37 ·
Nope. I took a deposit once because she was insistent. I actually have only had one person back out and it was due to extenuating circumstances. I never want a buyer to feel like they are obligated to get a pup nor do I ever want to feel like I am obligated to sell a pup. I am always more than willing to keep back puppies for as long as needed. There is a market for started young dogs with prelims so I don't worry about being "stuck" with a puppy.

#38 ·
After reading some "horror" stories about what happens when someone picks a breeder, puts down a deposit to go on a waiting list for a puppy, and then have to wait a year or more for their turn to finally come up...I don't know if I'd ever do something like that. Mostly because I can't plan a year ahead, and with something like a puppy its tough to just sit around and wait for that phone call that your turn is finally up.

Too many breeders out there that regular people can purchase from that would give you a very solid puppy. For those looking for a particular line or a particular grandparent/parent...then yes...you might have to search the one breeder out that has that, but for the rest of us its pretty crazy to put down a deposit and then not really know when you'll get a dog.

My current dog...I put down a deposit but it was after the pups were born and on the ground. My next dog...I'm dealing with a club member and good friend so I don't think a deposit will be necessary. Plus if I do have to back out for any reason, she'll find a home for this dog before I get done telling her that I can't take her.

#40 ·
You should also remember that the breeder might have been very upset about losing the litter and didn't want to draw out their own pain with a long explanation of what happened. Or it could have been a grisly or sad story that they didn't think that others would want to hear the details of.
As others have said, it could have been that they thought there was a litter until the due date.
"There are no puppies. I'm sorry" is really all of the answer they might have been up to giving at the time...

#43 ·
I had a hard time finding the breeder I wanted.
Then finding the right future litter that was planned too. It was a chore.
I settled on Surefire and Rhonda was great. I wanted 1st pick so I sent my $500 deposit and waited for the pregnancy to take. Rhonda kept me informed via email thru out the pregnancy on how the bitch was doing. I was informed that if something happens and the pregnancy goes bad and no male puppy for me I would be refunded or I can wait for the next litter.

I also checked the GSD clubs first and then looked up their breeders.
Thats how I found Surefire.

I hope you find your fur baby soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.