Am I crazy? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
If that were true, we'd be training Salukis to herd sheep, Maltese to hunt wild boar, and English Bulldogs to retrieve ducks from the water.
Are there no dog trainers on this list??? With a comment like that, I'm certain you are not one. Foolishness is no more productive than denial or excuses. Man up people. Your own dog is what you make it. If you doubt that, send me the **** dog and I will make it a sheep herder, a retriever or whatever. Freestep, if you doubt yourself so much, goldens or collies are the breeds for you. They won't be so much of a challenge.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
Are there no dog trainers on this list??? With a comment like that, I'm certain you are not one. Foolishness is no more productive than denial or excuses. Man up people. Your own dog is what you make it. If you doubt that, send me the **** dog and I will make it a sheep herder, a retriever or whatever. Freestep, if you doubt yourself so much, goldens or collies are the breeds for you. They won't be so much of a challenge.
Wow! It's clear we should be greatful to be in your presence. I should have recognized that sooner. You obviously have insights and skills the rest of us could only dream of
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #43 (permalink)

Well trying to help someone through a tough time has turned into an ugly bitch fest. I'm out of here. To the OP I hope the best for you and the dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Enough of the nasty remarks. People ought to be able to disagree without insulting and belitting one another.

-Admin
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used to think I was a dog trainer...hehe....oh Well....to OP you could very well be a very responsible dog owner and this can happen....I see it all the time....or it could be genetics and lastly it could be a combination of genetics and novice owner though responsible.....no one is casting dispersions on you that really understands this breed.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I agree with Cliff. Yes, many problems are man made by owners, even well meaning ones. But just as often the problems are there from the start due to genetics. There definitely ARE dogs with genetically weak temperament and nothing will change that. They can be managed, but they cannot be fixed no matter how skilled the trainer or how much one might want to fix them.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What have the trainers/behaviorist say about the dog? Has the dog been medically checked out?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #48 (permalink)

I am waiting on the official write up from the behaviorist. I will let you know what it says once I get. What I have been told by both him and the trainers I have used is that his fear is genetic. It can probably be improved from where he is now but will always need to be managed. The degree of management could vary. But at least for the foreseeable future he would need to be kept out of any and all contact with people outside our immediate family. I am not able to provide that on a consistent basis. I have two kids with friends in and out of the house all the time. I can't forbid my children from having kids over because the dog might bite. Not fair to them. I have a fenced in yard but he has to be supervised all the time because I am certain he could jump the fence. He already did once and scared my neighbor. So I can't leave him outside while kids are over because then who is watching the kids? We have a crate that we are using short term, but I don't believe it's a long term option because for one, its no life for a dog and two-what happens when I'm not in the same room and one of the kids or friends let him out cause he looks so cute? Maybe nothing, maybe a bite. The consensus seems to be that the breeder should take him back but that I probably shouldn't receive any compensation for him. Not sure I agree with that but I am grateful for the info. This is my first experience buying a purebred dog from a breeder and I was looking for some guidance. Now I just wait to hear back from her.
jenniecc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OK, here are my two cents as a dog trainer. To answer your first question: no you are not crazy, this is not your fault!
By now your dog is is who he is at this age. At this young age it will only get worse in unexperienced hands, so let's be realistic and look at his options:
1. Returned to the breeder who may sell him to another trusting potential adopter or put him down.
2. Re-homing the dog yourself with the risk that in a few weeks someone stands on your doorstep because he seriously hurt someone else.
3. Finding a home that is willing to work with an unstable dog. Where in the world would you find someone like that who is not a hoarder? Let me speak to you from my personal experience:
Years ago I fostered a litter for the shelter . The mother of the litter was an aggressive dog. I kept her away from he litter when we had visitors so the pups wouldn't learn that from her. At 7 months old one pup was returned as the shelter completely had disregarded my advice for each pup's ideal home. This pup had bitten their child in the face. I took her back, thinking I could work with this dog. My own dogs were afraid of her, she failed the temp. test with an animal behaviorist and me. So I made the toughest decision to put her down, to prevent her from a life of abandonment in a back yard somewhere, abuse and going from shelter to hoe to shelter, ending in her death anyway.
It was heart wrenching but I did it because I loved her, I kept her safe. No one could hurt this dog anymore.
So in your case, if you can legally(contract-wise) do it, I would do the same if, after giving it your all, you cannot guarantee a safe home for him.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 12-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #50 (permalink)

There is one more option ...

#4. Give your dog a wonderful day then take the dog into your vet and have him put down.

Personally, I believe that fearful dogs are NOT happy with life. Why do we feel it's better to make them go through life with their fear than to end it humanely?

I had a puppy from one of my litters that was terminally fearful. No matter what I tried she was afraid of everything. Just going out in our back yard was torture for her because the neighbors kids might be outside yelling and playing.

I decided it was better for her to stop living a life of fear - and that meant that she had to stop living.

Harsh, cold, not a popular decision but it was what was best for HER.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.