German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Choosing A Breeder (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/)
-   -   German show lines (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/195479-german-show-lines.html)

Lilliam 12-01-2012 12:13 PM

German show lines

Hello!
I am conducting initial research into german shepherd lines, with an eye towards getting a puppy in the future.
I am most interested in the german show line "look" simply because I like the heavier boned, less angular characteristics. I do not intend to show.
The highest considerations are health and temperament. I will not necessarily engage in shutzhund so I do not want a high prey drive.
I am looking for a companion dog who will play well with other dogs.
The puppy will go to daily doggy day care four days a week when I go into the office, staying home with me on Wednesdays. Temperament should allow for play with other dogs, accepting lots of different human and dog interaction, and having an "off" button when I have to work at home.
I expect that I will be conducting about one and a half to two years' research into the breed and the different lines before I actually get the puppy. During this time I will be studying the breed and the lines.

My question at the moment - I am looking for a breeder of merit who has german show lines. Aesthetically I prefer the look. I prefer show lines to avoid the high prey drive necessary for working lines. I need a companion line.

Are there any leads, preferably in the Delmarva area (Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia, Pennsylvania)? I am prepared to travel to pick up a puppy but I will not have him shipped to me.

Color preference - dark/black or sable.
Sex - male

Thank you so much for any assistance or leads that you may provide.
Thank you for reading.
Lil

Wild Wolf 12-01-2012 12:16 PM

I have seen one German Show dog who came in sable. Ever. I wish there were more, though.

wolfstraum 12-01-2012 12:17 PM

Try Chris and Joe Stumpf in Maryland, both work in DC - Chris at German Embassy, Joe at White House - so they are in your area...

Vom Silbersee German Shepherd Dogs

their kennel is vom Silbersee - they may not have pups right now, but can either get you want you want or point you in the right direction..they have both working and showline dogs - they concentrated on sable showlines, and do blacks with high show ratings (and work/show crossed maybe!!!) as well

Lee

Wild Wolf 12-01-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 2644145)
Try Chris and Joe Stumpf in Maryland, both work in DC - Chris at German Embassy, Joe at White House - so they are in your area...

their kennel is vom Silbersee - they may not have pups right now, but can either get you want you want or point you in the right direction..they have both working and showline dogs - they concentrated on sable showlines, and do blacks with high show ratings (and work/show crossed maybe!!!) as well

Lee

Ohhh, sable showlines! Gorgeous!

Lilliam 12-01-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 2644145)

Lee

LOL!!!! I was just looking at your site and noticed your sable female and your black male.

Color and sex are secondary to temperament and health.

I was about to contact you privately.

Are your dogs too possessive of a prey drive to do well in a companion home?

Seriously, I was about to contact you!!!!

Lil

Lilliam 12-01-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 2644142)
I have seen one German Show dog who came in sable. Ever. I wish there were more, though.

Oh I simply like the darker colors, but I do prefer the less angulated German show lines.

Lilliam 12-01-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 2644148)
Ohhh, sable showlines! Gorgeous!

OMG Onyx!!! :wub:

qbchottu 12-01-2012 12:51 PM

Some sable dogs that show well or are of showlines:
SG1 Udo von den blauen Bergen
2X VA2 VA1(ÍST) Timo vom Berrekasten
VA Waiko vom Schaumbergerland
V Baldur von der Fichtenspitze
V Metin vom Stadtfeld
VA (F) ULK du Fils de la Montagne
VA RUS,V 50 (HZS) Thor vom Friedenspark

Notice a lot of these going back to Timo

robk 12-01-2012 12:53 PM

I've hear the modern DDRs described as sable showlines. (no jab intended) :)

Sunflowers 12-01-2012 12:53 PM

179 Attachment(s)
http://www.vomsilbersee.com/images/penny2.jpg
Penny! :wub: