German show lines - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You do realize that Show Lines are almost uniformily black and tan? The solid black and sable dogs you are drooling over (and with reason ) are working lines.
I sent a PM regarding this so not to call her out in public
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

confusion overtakes.....must......leave....laptop......

Lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

LOL, no worries Lilliam - confusing the lines is a common newbie thing -

You'll eventually wrap your mind around it all.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You do realize that Show Lines are almost uniformily black and tan? The solid black and sable dogs you are drooling over (and with reason ) are working lines.
OK, back to the drawing board....

I guess there are two different things going on in my head

1) Temperament and health
2) Look
3) Color

Main thing above all is health. Structurally sound. Then temperament. These are non negotiable. I need a dog who will handle different environments with aplomb. And because I am around a lot of people who have dogs, there can be no dog aggression. Generally, in other breeds I have known, the show lines are less driven than the working lines. So when I said I wanted show lines it was as a nod to the temperament needs....a calm dog who handles new situations with aplomb, with confidence, and who doesn't exhibit aggression. I have a large circle of friends, some have children, I have grown children. I also have cats and ferrets. The ferrets are not a problem since they come out when the dogs are crated, as I did with the border collies and with Max, who is terribly afraid of my wee beastie Gracie.

As far as the look - I prefer the less angulated look that I find in the German lines. I prefer a straighter back and larger bone. From my initial studies, it appears that the German lines have both heavier bone and straighter backs. Did I get that wrong? Is it the other way around?

Lastly, color. I love dark german shepherds. I did not know that show lines are black and tan and working lines are sable or black.

So....first noob mistake has been identified and in the process of being corrected....

Let me try this again....

I am actually looking for a German type of dog, with a straighter back and less angulation in the croup/rear leg, lesser prey drive, and I would LOVE a sable or a black.

Is that closer to reality or am I still getting confused???

I wand Oda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Kira!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Then you are looking for a working line.
The show lines, German included, have more angulation.

Also, working lines come in all colors. My boy is black and tan, closer to red, actually.

Chris Wild has great info here:
http://www.wildhauskennels.com/gsdtypes.htm

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-02-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliam View Post
Understood. So it's a function of temperament, drive, and maturity.
So the answer is to remain vigilant in possible changes in personality at maturity.
I'd say this is a perfect explanation. I've raised several GSD's from puppies, all (except one) were fine with strange dogs until they hit maturity. Then I had to be really careful who they were introduced to. Djenga was the exception, she was fearful of dogs from a young age and that never really changed. Otherwise, her temperament is really nice. She's never met a person she didn't like.

All of my dogs are pets, although I do kennel/crate and rotate since they are bitchy girls. Kessy is the one that I don't think just ANYONE could handle. She is super busy, always on the move, even in the house. It's grown on me, but it'd probably drive a lot of people nuts! But otherwise...she's absolutely amazing.

All of my others are better able to settle and relax.

You're definitely doing the right thing by starting early with your research. It's also really important to go out and MEET some dogs/breeders so you can learn what you like. There are some people whose opinion I do trust - but a lot of people on the internet like to blow smoke. For example - one person I know has a blog and she talks about her dogs like they're the best working dogs on the planet. In person...the dogs have very little working ability and are spooky. It's not anyone on this forum, I am just saying - take what you read with a grain of salt

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2

Last edited by phgsd; 12-02-2012 at 06:44 PM.
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

Yeah I'm starting to see that getting in here this early was a good idea. There is a lot more to GSD than just a "breed." It's true for nearly all breeds, but this is wholly unfamiliar.

I'm glad I'm going to be lurking around here for quite a while.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

if you are in DC - then you should get out and see some training.....Leesa and Lynn train up near Clarksville MD - before the accident, I trained down there as well....Kira's brother Kougar is there with Leesa.....you should get out to their group to watch - there are mostly working line GSDs, a few Dobes, Mals and a showline GSD

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliam View Post
OK...now I'm going to be embarrassed when you see how psychotic I am about my dogs....

Even in my fenced yard, my dogs are supervised when outside.

I know...that's ridiculous. And you might laugh. But my ex once left the back gate open and when I let the dogs out they, of course, went outside and were having a stroll in the neighborhood. Thank GOD I had put recall whistles on them, and of course, they immediately returned.

After that day (no, I didn't actually kill him, but he IS my EX husband) I always go out with them.

That's how psychotic I am.

I'm sorry. Embarrasing.
No, not at all. I agree!
We aren't quite that 'psychotic' but I hate leaving mine out when I'm gone. I have a few exceptions, the GSD can stay out while we're gone if it's nice out, not windy or rainy.
That's about it. Nobody else stays outside while we're gone, and not for long periods when we're home. We're way out in the country so it's not as bad as city dwelling.
I'd worry the whole time I was gone if I was my foster mom, she lives in town

BTW I understand the "look" of a dog you're searching for, and I agree you want a German Showline. That's what we are leaning towards, preferably one with medium drive for trainability and darker coloration We do want "just a pet" so the drive is only important in that I've found our lower-drive (seemingly) American line pet dog (he was a stray) difficult to train due to lower drives.

Last edited by msvette2u; 12-02-2012 at 07:25 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
if you are in DC - then you should get out and see some training.....Leesa and Lynn train up near Clarksville MD - before the accident, I trained down there as well....Kira's brother Kougar is there with Leesa.....you should get out to their group to watch - there are mostly working line GSDs, a few Dobes, Mals and a showline GSD

Lee
I would LOVE THAT!!!

Specifics, as to where and when???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.