German show lines - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Let me explain my schedule a bit....

Mondays and Tuesdays, out of the house by 6:00 a.m. and home, depending on traffic on 270, around 7:30 and sometimes on horrible days even 8:00.

Wednesdays work from home.

Thursdays and Fridays same as Monday and Tuesday.

I've always had the border collies in doggie day care when I moved here, since the hours were so much longer than in California. When Max came it was a natural progression to have him go to doggy day care. Max and Billy love the experience there....they dance when the leashes come out, begin whining when I turn the corner, and Billy talks the entire time he's being led in the back. They greet the day camp handlers as if they were long lost family members, every single morning.

I naturally expected that the GSD would also go to doggy day care. But in two different threads, my introductory thread and this one, folks have expressed the opinion that a GSD would not like and or do well in doggy day care.

I hate the idea of leaving a dog alone and unsupervised for twelve hours. I suppose I can get ADT and keep an eye on him through installed electronic monitoring. But I would feel guilty about walking out with an excited Max and asking the GSD to stay. Right now I spend $175 for every seven days of doggy day care and there would be a significant saving, but it's not something I was planning to save money on. In other words, I wasn't planning to save corners at the expense of the dog's happiness.

On the other hand, a GSD is a multipurpose dog, with protection "baked into" the DNA. So in a manner of speaking, a GSD being left at home would be doing his "protection job"?
Lilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

Many GSDs do well in doggy daycare their first 6-24 months. But as they mature, they will often (but not always!!!) start to not play well with the daycare group. It really depends on the dog and on the daycare.

I have a few of my puppy buyers who can still take their mature adults to doggy daycare and I have just as many more who have had to stop going to dog parks or doggy daycare. Others have said that their dogs go to daycare and don't play--they just hang out.

Based on my own GSDs, I'll say they don't enjoy playing with "strangers"--they want to be friends first and that usually means knowing the other dog(s) for more than just half an hour.

It's just going to depend on your dog--and how the daycare handles their dog groups.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Although I wouldn't prefer it, and my husband won't allow it (too many critters coming inside) our foster home uses a dog door and securely fenced yard quite successfully as she's got about the same crazy work schedule you do.

I don't work currently outside the home, although doctor visits and shopping keep me well occupied (my son is disabled) so I don't worry quite so much about the dogs being locked up for long periods of time.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Although I wouldn't prefer it, and my husband won't allow it (too many critters coming inside) our foster home uses a dog door and securely fenced yard quite successfully as she's got about the same crazy work schedule you do.

I don't work currently outside the home, although doctor visits and shopping keep me well occupied (my son is disabled) so I don't worry quite so much about the dogs being locked up for long periods of time.

OK...now I'm going to be embarrassed when you see how psychotic I am about my dogs....

Even in my fenced yard, my dogs are supervised when outside.

I know...that's ridiculous. And you might laugh. But my ex once left the back gate open and when I let the dogs out they, of course, went outside and were having a stroll in the neighborhood. Thank GOD I had put recall whistles on them, and of course, they immediately returned.

After that day (no, I didn't actually kill him, but he IS my EX husband) I always go out with them.

That's how psychotic I am.

I'm sorry. Embarrasing.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
Many GSDs do well in doggy daycare their first 6-24 months. But as they mature, they will often (but not always!!!) start to not play well with the daycare group. It really depends on the dog and on the daycare.

I have a few of my puppy buyers who can still take their mature adults to doggy daycare and I have just as many more who have had to stop going to dog parks or doggy daycare. Others have said that their dogs go to daycare and don't play--they just hang out.

Based on my own GSDs, I'll say they don't enjoy playing with "strangers"--they want to be friends first and that usually means knowing the other dog(s) for more than just half an hour.

It's just going to depend on your dog--and how the daycare handles their dog groups.
Understood. So it's a function of temperament, drive, and maturity.
So the answer is to remain vigilant in possible changes in personality at maturity.
Does neutering age play a role?

Oh dear....another line of questioning...contracts, neutering age requirements, and effect of neutering on growth plates....maybe that's an entirely different thread....
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post

OH DEAR LORD I was just on your site!!!!!!!!!!!! You have sables!!!!! AND BLACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you work with BCS?!?!?!?!?!?!?

And you work with BC?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??

OH DEAR LORD OH DEAR LORD OH DEAR LORD......

Last edited by Lilliam; 12-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You do realize that Show Lines are almost uniformily black and tan? The solid black and sable dogs you are drooling over (and with reason ) are working lines.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

Very much agree with what Christine said.

I have five GSDs of varying lineage and backgrounds. The ONLY dogs still interested in playing with strange dogs are my two puppies (10 months and 7 months). My adults have no desire AT ALL to interact with strange dogs.

My bitch can be a huge jerk to strange dogs, and my male largely ignores other dogs. They are both very social with humans, but they have no desire to have "doggy friends". Heck, even within their own family unit they discriminate.

Strauss has no need for any of the other dogs at all. Quite honestly, he could have probably gone his whole life never meeting another dog and been perfectly happy.

Mirada only likes the other dogs so she can be a bossy wench

Wesson is a suck up, and loves to play with everybody, so she could potentially be a good "daycare dog" with the right group, but she's kinda squishy soft, and doesn't like to be yelled at (by people or dogs).

Vixie and Mahler play together frequently, and greatly enjoy each others company.

Strauss: Service dog/old man
Wesson: The soon to be champion
Loch: Service dog in training
Barrett: The Frikken Tikken
Xeph is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliam View Post
Even in my fenced yard, my dogs are supervised when outside.

I know...that's ridiculous. And you might laugh.
That's how psychotic I am.

Then add me to the Psychotic Club.
Hans is always with me when outside, *and* on a leash or long lead.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You do realize that Show Lines are almost uniformily black and tan? The solid black and sable dogs you are drooling over (and with reason ) are working lines.
Shhhh... she doesn't need to know she's being inexorably drawn toward the dark side....muahahahahaaaaaa
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.