Working Line Breeders in/near Western NY - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are several working line breeders in this area. We really dont advertise or have lots of litters though.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you Saxtonhill. I don't think I am what would be called a working home. I am mainly looking for a dog that will be a good companion, though I would like to do some agility and maybe looking into Schutzhund as well. I also currently have two other dogs as well a cat, horses, ducks, chickens, rabbits, and turkeys. I'm not sure how well most adult dogs would do in that sort of environment.

GSDElsa so far I am liking what I hear. They are located a little over two hours from me so not too far to drive. How far in advance do most breeders need to definitely know you'd like a puppy?

Ken Clean-Air System thank you for the info. I am for the most part enjoying my search. Though looking at pictures of so many lovely dogs and puppies makes it difficult to wait.

dawnandjr came to realize that after trying to find breeders on my own was only bringing up BYBs. How would I go about finding or contacting breeder who do not advertise? Right now I am tentatively aiming for spring/sumer 2014 as when I'd like to get a puppy. I don't want to commit to anything right now in case plans change.
Bramble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bramble - you need to make sure that the pup you get is not bred for EXTREME drive or sport......and that pups going to novices or pet homes are not considered rejects for working homes.....that they are bred for balance in drive and temperament...

We have plans for several litters over the next few years....and pups are considered companions first, and bred to be lived with as well as capable of sport.

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks wolfstraum I will definitely make sure the breeder know what sort of home I will be providing. I don't have the need for a high drive dog. I want something I can go do something like agility with, yet can still relax and chill out in the house. And also won't be chasing down the livestock either
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Bramble - I think your lack of urgency to get a GSD gives you the unique opportunity to do your research and figure out exactly what you want out of a companion animal. There are certainly some very good breeders in this region but the bloodlines are totally different from one another. One kennel isn't better than all the others and no one but you can pick the 'right' one to meet your personal expectations. Your absolute best bet is to physically go out, meet the dogs of these different kennels, and get to know the different breeders.

Good luck on your search!
abakerrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Abakerrr that is my plan. My past dogs have all been adopted mutts so I want to do lots and lots of research and learn as much as I can. I've never purchased a dog from a breeder so I want to make sure I find the right one for me. I am hoping to find some possible breeders now and then go and actually meet people over the summer. I've been a GSD lover since I was a kid so actually doing research for a future puppy is very exciting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.