German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for info on PA breeder ( keystone Puppies)

20K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Fodder 
#1 ·
hello everybody, Me and my girlfriend are looking for a reputable breeder in PA (near Philadelphia) to purchase a German shepherd puppy , we have come across a site " Keystone Puppies" that at first glance seems legit and claims to be AKC certified and has some great looking dogs at great prices. However I can find little to any review information on the agency to confirm it is not a Puppy mill site, so I came to this forum to see if anybody out there has any experience with them and if we should go forward with dealing with them

#15 ·
Since the spring is the best time to get a puppy in my book (that housebreaking thing is BRUTAL in the winter!) you've got some time to learn what is most important in getting any dog.

And that's how to look for and what a 'responsible' breeder actually is. Once you are able to determine that, you are well on your way to getting a wonderful puppy that's healthy and a good match for your background/experience and training skills. Since our breed is a working breed it's also giving you time to consider some type of dog training you'd like to get involved in (herding? tracking? obedience? schutzund? agility?).

Most important is for you to take some time to wander generally thru (click the links) Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums and more specifically thru http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162231-how-find-puppy.html

I also live in PA and the area is WICKED full of puppy mills and all the nightmares that involves... they are clever though and hide what they really are with vague promises and guarantees.

United Against Puppy Mills

#6 ·
#7 ·
Do you know of any actual legit breeders then? you mentioned a bunch not far if anybody else has any recommendations of a solid breeder in southeastern PA I would be grateful to hear your reviews. I'm not looking for a show pup or anything alls we ask is the dog is healthy and not puppy milled .Any GS puppy from 8-10 weeks to a year old. Under a grand is our price range.

#9 ·
The Keystone website looks like they are a puppy broker.

#10 ·
Where are you located? Be VERY careful in PA, puppy mill capital!! Find an actual breeder, not a broker site that just makes "claims". You want a breeder you can speak with directly, meet the mother, look at all the papers and documentation.

#11 ·
wow - if that is not a website that is used to broker Amish puppy mill pups - I will eat my hat as the old saying goes!!!! a random click on a pup - "unique gray color" - IE BLUE.....and more money than the 'normal' colors.....

the towns listed under the pups are a DEAD giveaway.....Lancaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save some more money and get a pup from a breeder - not a puppy mill.

Lee

Reactions: mnm
#12 ·
yea I'm starting to get that from everyone, Like said this would be my first dog and have never dealt with any breeders before. I live in Philadelphia and would be willing to travel an hour or even two to find a great dog. I really always loved German Shepherds and being a Police officer would love to have my own k9 at home haha. Im not looking for a show dog, or anything insanely pricey just a Healthy pup. If anybody commenting knows of a reputable breeder they could recommend I would really appreciate it.

#14 ·
The going rate from a decent breeder is $1500-2000 for an 8 week old puppy.....Parents are at the very least hip certified! Usually titled, sometimes koered at the bottom end of that price....you also get the knowledge and expertise of someone who has worked dogs and can offer you references from people who have their pups and/or experienced GSD people....and sometimes your peers....I recently lost a purebred cat and wanted another one - a Bengal kitten was in the same price range as a good puppy....there are alot of expenses a good breeder will incur - and those expenses are NOT incurred by BYB/Amish puppy mills etc....

The initial price of the pup is only a drop in the bucket to what you can expect when you get a puppy with a problem....Yes, even good breeders will have a problem crop up - but the risk is much much lower than with a cheaper puppy mill pup.

Lee

#16 ·
CHeck out Molly Graf @ eichenluft kennel Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs I have an awesome working line boy from her and I am getting another in a few months. She also has some nice german showline litters from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.