Looking for info on PA breeder ( keystone Puppies) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wow - if that is not a website that is used to broker Amish puppy mill pups - I will eat my hat as the old saying goes!!!! a random click on a pup - "unique gray color" - IE BLUE.....and more money than the 'normal' colors.....

the towns listed under the pups are a DEAD giveaway.....Lancaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save some more money and get a pup from a breeder - not a puppy mill.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

yea I'm starting to get that from everyone, Like said this would be my first dog and have never dealt with any breeders before. I live in Philadelphia and would be willing to travel an hour or even two to find a great dog. I really always loved German Shepherds and being a Police officer would love to have my own k9 at home haha. Im not looking for a show dog, or anything insanely pricey just a Healthy pup. If anybody commenting knows of a reputable breeder they could recommend I would really appreciate it.
Steve Mazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like you are looking for a working line dog? Wolfstraum in is Pittsburgh.

Here's a list of East Coast Breeders
East Coast Working Line Breeders

I don't think Ryanhaus or Von Hena C are listed.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The going rate from a decent breeder is $1500-2000 for an 8 week old puppy.....Parents are at the very least hip certified! Usually titled, sometimes koered at the bottom end of that price....you also get the knowledge and expertise of someone who has worked dogs and can offer you references from people who have their pups and/or experienced GSD people....and sometimes your peers....I recently lost a purebred cat and wanted another one - a Bengal kitten was in the same price range as a good puppy....there are alot of expenses a good breeder will incur - and those expenses are NOT incurred by BYB/Amish puppy mills etc....

The initial price of the pup is only a drop in the bucket to what you can expect when you get a puppy with a problem....Yes, even good breeders will have a problem crop up - but the risk is much much lower than with a cheaper puppy mill pup.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mazz View Post
we are looking for a great pet and guard dog, under 1000. is really our price range. its just the two of us and we have a huge yard for a big dog
Since the spring is the best time to get a puppy in my book (that housebreaking thing is BRUTAL in the winter!) you've got some time to learn what is most important in getting any dog.

And that's how to look for and what a 'responsible' breeder actually is. Once you are able to determine that, you are well on your way to getting a wonderful puppy that's healthy and a good match for your background/experience and training skills. Since our breed is a working breed it's also giving you time to consider some type of dog training you'd like to get involved in (herding? tracking? obedience? schutzund? agility?).

Most important is for you to take some time to wander generally thru (click the links) Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums and more specifically thru How to find a puppy!

I also live in PA and the area is WICKED full of puppy mills and all the nightmares that involves... they are clever though and hide what they really are with vague promises and guarantees.

United Against Puppy Mills
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

CHeck out Molly Graf @ eichenluft kennel Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs I have an awesome working line boy from her and I am getting another in a few months. She also has some nice german showline litters from time to time
http://www.myspace.com/gsdfastnfurrious
Maraccz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.