What is reasonable to expect from the breeder after your puppy is born? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question What is reasonable to expect from the breeder after your puppy is born?

Since this is the first non-rescue dog for my wife and I; I'd like to know what are reasonable expectations or others experiences in regards to updates and/or info you should receive from the breeder once the puppy you've put a deposit on is born.

In my case I received an email saying they were born with a picture. After that I've not heard anything from my breeder in 10 days and the last response was in reply to an email I sent them a couple days after the pups were born. I was kind of expecting weekly updates even if it's something as simple as "everybody is gaining weight and healthy, they've opened their eyes and here are some new pictures...". Is this unreasonable?

I understand for a breeder the birth of pups is a much more regular occurrence than it is for most of us and it probably isn't that big of a deal after a while but, we are obviously very excited and want all the info/pictures we can get. I know sometimes my expectations can be a little high and I don't want to be a pest which is why I'm asking for others experiences.
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send your breeder an e-mail and ask if she could send pictures of the litter.

I usually do not let people know about the puppies being born until they are about a week old. Then I will send out an e-mail to people who have said they want a puppy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Karlo's breeder sent whelping stats/ updates during the whelp to the potential puppy owners and newborn pictures.
Then every week we'd get pupdates &pics thru e-mails until we picked up the pups.
We were given a dvd of all the pics as well!

There is also a yahoo group with all the past litter owners to communicate, so we are informed when every litter is coming/growing/leaving! We share in the excitement with the new pup owners and there is so much support from everyone after the pups go home.

I would call or e-mail your breeder and ask for regular(weekly if possible) updates and pictures(it isn't that hard/time consuming to upload a few pics and e-mail the link to you).
It is hard enough just waiting even with the pupdates, not knowing, waiting and waiting would be torture!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I didn't get much during that 8 week period. A few pictures once or twice through email but nothing huge. Remember, they're busy with a bunch of pups, the mom, maybe their other dogs, might still be showing/trialing on weekends so there is training going on during the week.

I got a CD with a bunch of pictures when I picked up the puppy. That was really nice to have.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

My breeder never sent me anything unless I asked but that's just kind of how she is, she spends more time with the dogs then taking pictures/emailing people...

It was frustrating though! I've had my pup almost three weeks now and he's the easiest(so far) puppy I've ever had though now I've probably just jinxed myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. From my communications prior to the litter being born I know the breeder isn't much on small talk. He was more than willing to answer any questions though so, I'll just send them an email and ask for weekly updates.
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

You could send the email, and just explain you're new at this and very excited, and love the updates, and maybe something like "hope I'm not being a pest" or some such
We get folks like this from time to time in rescue and when they say things like that, although I've occasionally made up my mind they are a pest, I usually forgive them
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had breeders inform me when the litter was born and then when they were about 7 weeks old letting me know when I could get my pup. I've had other breeders that were very active with their puppy buyers ... I saw Bruiser several times a week for 8 weeks. And others have fallen somewhere in the middle.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

i guess some breeders are more informative than others.
if there's something you want to know get in touch with
your breeder.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Akina's breeder never took pictures or sent updates. I told him I was going to have to send the Picture Taking Fairy to his house.
Some people just aren't into the touchy-feely cute stuff.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.