What is reasonable to expect from the breeder after your puppy is born? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Some people just aren't into the touchy-feely cute stuff.
My Chinese Crested litters are whelped and raised on a live web feed. I don't consider it touchy-feely or cute. I consider it part and parcel of being a good breeder.

I want people to know exactly what happens when a dog whelps. Those who watched my last litter being whelped had the experience of watching and hearing me lose a puppy. I get lots of questions during the whelping and I answer them as I can (my DH reads me the questions from the live web chat and I have a microphone on the webcam).

Prospective buyers get to watch how the puppies develop. See how I do the Super Dog program, introduce the pups to other animals and tons of new experiences.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
I don't consider it touchy-feely or cute. I consider it part and parcel of being a good breeder.
Except that there are a TON of breeders producing super dogs, that don't.
I wish Mike had been more into puppy pictures and updates on what the litter was doing. But he did what needed doing, without documenting it for puppy buyers. And I am OK with that.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not trying to start a pissing match about what makes a good breeder or not. I was just curious what other peoples experiences were and if my expectations were unreasonable.

I know the breeder I purchased from is an excellent breeder and I'm not trying to disparage them in any way. I'm sure that we will get an excellent dog from them. I just think that most people buying a dog want to see them as they grow especially as they begin to walk and explore things.
hotrod2448 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lotta people have neither the time or inclination to participate in the warm and fuzzy picture taking or updating every week as a litter grows. Some people love it.....the breeder I got Taro from was very scant with pics and communication until the puppy was 7weeks. I got a fantastic dog, and certainly don't expect her/him to change their breeding practices to meet my inquisitiveness for an 8 week period. I understand people's excitement, but they have a lifetime with their dog to talk, picture take, oh and ah, and show off their dogs to others.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Reasonable expectations are the details and procedures discussed with the breeder prior to committing to getting a pup.

How many pics or updates a person gets has nothing to do with the caliber of the breeder or the quality of the puppy. The responsibility lies with the purchaser to find out what they can expect.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Reasonable expectations are the details and procedures discussed with the breeder prior to committing to getting a pup.

How many pics or updates a person gets has nothing to do with the caliber of the breeder or the quality of the puppy. The responsibility lies with the purchaser to find out what they can expect.
i would think this about covers what one should expect.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
A lotta people have neither the time or inclination to participate in the warm and fuzzy picture taking or updating every week as a litter grows. Some people love it.
I like to see weekly photos of the puppies developing. You would think the breeder would want a record, but maybe they just remember stuff better than I do.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
I like to see weekly photos of the puppies developing. You would think the breeder would want a record, but maybe they just remember stuff better than I do.
Digital cameras, e-mail/internet, camcorders, are all rather recent. I mean, I remember back when records were vinyl, and camera's had film that had to be developed, and people had to send letters. I wonder what breeders did then to be a good breeder.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Digital cameras, e-mail/internet, camcorders, are all rather recent. I mean, I remember back when records were vinyl, and camera's had film that had to be developed, and people had to send letters. I wonder what breeders did then to be a good breeder.
Not saying they aren't good breeders. I never developed film in the days before digital, and rarely took photos. Now I love having digital and have tons of them. And video!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't see this thread being started to assess the breeder...but what they buyer should do or not do to not harass the breeder ! I know breeders are very busy and don't need every pup buyer contacting them to see how the pups are doing....that's why it is a good idea to have a short but sweet mass e-mail pupdate(or even a facebook page devoted to that litter)every so often to keep the buyers sated.
As posted above, in this day and age it takes just moments to capture a day in the life of a cute pup and post it!
Some potential buyers don't care, which is fine, but others....just can't wait to get their pup and seeing/hearing about the litter is really great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.