Eastern GSD (DDR) Breeders in PA - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eastern GSD (DDR) Breeders in PA

Hello everyone,

I was interested in seeing if anyone knew of any DDR GSD breeders in PA? I've done a good bit of searching but unfortunately as you know google typically only shows results for puppy mills and large breeders. I'm looking for a large DDR GSD with strong drive. Thanks for the help!
Espo4442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry I should be more specific. I'd prefer east german bloodlines but am open to western working lines as well, or a mix of the two. Looking mainly for an large impressive male with a strong drive and great temperament. Dog will be used primarily as a protective family dog but may be interested in doing tracking as well. Hopefully some people with a good insight of breeders in the PA area will chime in. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not sure if/when they'll be breeding, but maybe contact Melanie: Home - Bojovnika K-9
OR pm Cliffson here for some direction.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Christine Kemper in VA just did [or is doing this week ] a DDR litter....I have a female line that is DDR but no pups till maybe next year...but not pure DDR anyway

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Alright maybe afterall what I really want is a German workingline and German Showline mix as I'm hearing back from a lot of breeders that I should be really careful and even should shy away from DDR dogs as they tend to have weak nerves and are overly aggressive and will not be suitable for a family dog. In your experience is this true? I've fallen in love with the large stature and big boxy head of the past DDR and was under the impression that these dogs were the most sought after as far as the overall balance, hardiness, and nerves but now I'm hearing the opposite?

Here is what I'm looking for:
Large impressive German Shepherd male that has great drive/ protection but must also be athletic as I am interested in training the dog for tracking and am a very active mid 20's adult.

Needs to be loyal and great around children and strangers. I had a GSD that had to be seperated from all visitors because he wanted to just rip your head off for not being apart of the family, which is not what I want.

Light Sable in color.Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why not just a working line dog? DDR is just one type of working line dogs. There are good and bad GSDs in every line. Overall I think you can find one that will fit, though "great around strangers" isn't always a GSD thing, depends on what you mean by "great". Neutral and tolerant....yes....expecting the dog to be social and outgoing with strangers....not really.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Interesting that you just posted this, I also really love the look of DDR's and was surprised to hear they are softer. I always thought they were harder dogs, giving their heritage.

Maybe I thought that because they look big and tough. I think they are beautiful and I love the dark pigmentation.

BTW, I found this link to be helpful for a beginner trying to understand the different GSD types (can't vouch for this breeder, but I thought this was good, unbiased information):

Von Öhmke - German Shepherd Dogs
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Why not just a working line dog? DDR is just one type of working line dogs. There are good and bad GSDs in every line. Overall I think you can find one that will fit, though "great around strangers" isn't always a GSD thing, depends on what you mean by "great". Neutral and tolerant....yes....expecting the dog to be social and outgoing with strangers....not really.
Liesje,

Yes I'm aware of this but as I had stated I love the log of the old DDR dogs and the fact that they are rare is also nice. What I meant by being great around strangers is that I won't have to have a panic attack every time someone in my neighborhood comes up to say hi and pet the dog. I had a large German shepherd in which I tried very hard to socialize as a pup but no matter what he was very aggressive towards anyone that approached me or anyone that was welcomed into the house. I was on constant edge when he was near even distant family members. I loved how fearless and protective he was of my family, but there has to be a happy medium or controlled aggression if that makes sense. Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You may just have to wait to find the right dog. I know a really great DDR dog doing schutzhund.

I think if you can find a great breeder and tell them exactly what you're after, they will be able to evaluate the pups and find a good match.

I wouldn't worry about colour though, and I think light sable might really limit your search since DDR's are knows for their dark pigment.

My dream is a black or dark (black) sable! *drool*. DDR dog that is. I already have a black WL GSD.

Does anyone know this breeder? I like the look of their dogs:

Working German Shepherd Breeder | DDR German Shepherd Breeder

They are in Washington though
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The problem with the DDR lines is that many are bred for their color and looks or for the fad of owning something "rare". The DDR had show and working dogs (no matter what people want to claim or believe) and many of those big headed black sable big boned dogs people want come from the lines bred more for their looks than their work.

Some of the best dogs I have owned had some DDR mixed in with the WGWL. They were mostly WGWL, but there was/is some of the good DDR working blood back there too.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.