Eastern GSD (DDR) Breeders in PA - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have now read Christine's post at least 5x! Great post! As reflected in forums and even in this thread most people are drawn to "DDR" dogs due to big heads, bone, and dark pigmentation rather than other more important reasons. Back 3 1/2+ years ago my kids were 2 and 6. Having experienced heartbreaking health problems with a prior dog, I was looking first and foremost for a healthy "working line" dog capable of living in a family but having the attributes a GSD should have. At the time, the thought of medium to low prey was appealing. Turns out I got a bit more than that but she has been a great family dog who is healthy as a horse, is up for anything, and can go all day and then some. Since then, I have continued to educate myself about the breed. Christine's more balanced commentary is more in accord with my research and with my limited personal experience. I think the advice Liesje has given in this thread is excellent.

In addition to my "DDR" female, I have a 5 month old male pup from primarily west german working lines. There is some old DDR back there in his pedigree. He too is a great family dog and is terrific with my kids. Very different temperament than my "DDR" female. I adore both dogs and would not trade them for the world, but I will say this: I really like his temperament and biddability. Turns out, he is a richly pigmented dark sable with good bone and who is rather easy on the eyes. In fact, he is more darkly pigmented than my DDR female. However, other than knowing who the sire and dam were (I had a deposit down before the litter was born), looks and color were a non-factor in my decision making process.
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I should probably mention, looks & colour are not what I'd use as criteria to pick a puppy. I actually basically left picking the picking of my puppy up to the breeder and I'm glad I did. (She's black and she's beautiful, so I did pretty well anyway ) I just wanted to tell you guys that. lol

It does not stop me from ogling those beautiful DDR dogs, however. And have slight twinges of jealousy, when I see one I'd give my right arm for I am a compulsive window shopper.

But no, you're of course right, that looks are the last thing a person should be concerned with. I think it's ok, if you have two fantastic dogs and you have to pick one, that might be the swing vote.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Just wanted to throw out there that I'd not thought that DDR dogs were soft, either, in the beginning. Blew me away. Please don't get a pure Czech dog unless you're willing to WORK the dog. (At least not from lines like my guy!) Although he's a hard dog, he is very biddable (at this time anyway!). However, overall he's like a different breed altogether from my past shepherds. I would have been in way over my head if I'd had him first or early on. JMO
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Jag's comment on pure Czech dogs provoked a (non-expert) thought. This is not directed at Jag because Jag qualified the comment in the parenthetical.

For those looking for a puppy, recognize that generalizations about DDR dogs or Czech dogs, or WGWL dogs are . . . generalizations. For instance, while some DDR dogs may be handler soft, others may not be. While some Czech dogs may be a handful and suited only to experienced handlers, others may be better suited for those with less experience. This is not to say that there is not some truth to the generalizations when you look at a line from a macro level, but it ultimately comes down to the particular dog and that dog is a result of the particular dogs behind it.

This takes me back to Liesje's prior post. Find a good breeder! A good breeder will be able to tell you what to expect based upon his or her knowledge and experience. A good breeder will know about not only the individual puzzle pieces (the individual dogs in a pedigree), but also will also have a good idea of how the puzzle pieces come together (i.e. will have a good idea of what the breeding will produce). I tend to think that people looking for a puppy would be better served identifying good breeders who have a history of producing good dogs suited to them, than by getting too caught up in bloodlines/types (i.e. DDR, Czech, etc.).
jmdjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo4442 View Post
What's your opinion of DDR/Czech mixes with WGWL's today?
In general, I think it's a good thing, creating a more balanced and easier to manage dog. But we're seeing a return to the "major sire" problem again, as so many dogs are bred back to the same bloodlines that the rest of the working world are breeding to. So, there is a loss of diversity occurring as the gene pool is narrowed again.

At the same time, the combinations are making some extremely nice dogs, too--so it seems to be a recognition from some Czech breeders that their dogs can be improved by the features of other lines and from some west German breeders that these Czech dogs might be have something that has been bred away from.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

I think it boils down to, finding a knowledgeable breeder, who knows what they are producing and can peg their puppies, placing them in the correct home, and that home being realistic on what they want and don't want out of a dog.

The majority of my past dogs were DDR and I found them to be easy trainers, biddable, sound, balanced dogs.

I now have a mainly czech girl with about 1/4 DDR and yes, she is much higher energy I would say than my past dogs, she has been just as easy and biddable as the others.

Again, if I didn't have breeders that knew what I wanted and didn't want, I probably wouldn't have/had some really great dogs that were a good fit for me

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

Check out Molly Graf of Eichenluft in central PA Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs I have a dog from her and am soon getting a puppy.
http://www.myspace.com/gsdfastnfurrious
Maraccz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a black DDR bitch and she has been a great dog - just has been somewhat slow to mature. She is almost 2.5 yrs old and is just now starting to come into her own. Her working drive is not very strong so I am breeding her to a stronger drive DDR male in January/February. She is not large, she is well within standard size. I have two young children and Nyxie has been great with them - the only issue I ever had was that she would bowl over my youngest, but we've gotten past that. She is very tolerant of them and the right amount of aloofness with strangers. I'm very happy with her and she is my first DDR GSD.

www.SpiritedShepherds.com
IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"back from a lot of breeders that I should be really careful and even should shy away from DDR dogs as they tend to have weak nerves and are overly aggressive and will not be suitable for a family dog. In your experience is this true? I've fallen in love with the large stature and big boxy head of the past DDR and was under the impression that these dogs were the most sought after as far as the overall balance, hardiness, and nerves but now I'm hearing the opposite?"

look at this All Things "Dog": POST 1 - Raising the Ideal K9 Partner and the Perfect Companion and here is the mating check pedigree Line-breeding for the progency of Carmspack Stan and Chiba vom Parchimer Land
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.