GSD from working lines? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #71 (permalink)
Crowned Member

where do you live Maxx and why are you having such a hard time finding a dog?
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #72 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Maxx, go to the German Shepherd Schutzhund Club of Canada website:

The German Shepherd Schutzhund Club of Canada

Then click on "Regions and Clubs" and select "Ontario Region"

http://www.gsscc.ca/regions-and-clubs/ontario.aspx

You will get about a dozen clubs listed. Contact the clubs that are in your area and ask for working dog breeder recommendations. Though as you have found out, good working dog breeders are not that common, and most people will travel to get their dog, or get it shipped in, but Ontario should have enough breeders and activity for you to find something more local.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #73 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
It can be really confusing but I prefer a WL GSD since any puppy or dog from a reputable breeder will cost me $1000+ and I just prefer it.

The more I think about it, I read that you can find one with an 'off' switch so whatever that is, it sounds interesting. But, I would like a dog for protection or at least, a good guard dog. I live in an apt. and although it's ok, I think it's a bonus if the dog is smart and trained enough to be a good watch dog but without the nerves.
on the first point, nothing wrong with getting a dog that meets your preferences! You just have to find a breeder who has dogs that you like and who is also responsible. Now, if you are super detailed about what you want, then it might be a longer wait. But just wanting a healthy dog of a certain type should be easy to find from any good breeder!

on the second point, an "off switch" usually just means that the dog will settle down. There are some breeders who (incorrectly in my opinion) have pushed the limits on their dogs and are producing animals that are constantly on the go. If they aren't actively doing a job, they are pacing or spinning or just basically over the top with energy. (of course GSD puppies always seem that way! lol) A dog should be able to settle down and be a normal part of the family - that is an off switch.
Of course, you have the other extreme where people are breeding super-mellow couch potatoes. Some of them I'd say don't have an "on" switch
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #74 (permalink)

Default Adult - cost and location?

Can I bump this?

I know, I'd inquire about Carmen's dogs if I was buying one for certain or if I'm buying a puppy. I visited her page (before) and they look and sound ideal. I would like to see about getting a puppy in the future. I'm just not sure how things would be with a senior Pom in my place. Would he have the patience?

But, I was wondering about cost and I thought I'd inquire about adult dogs. If I get an adult dog, I'd prefer one from a breeder and not from BYB or kijiji 'sellers.' Know what I mean? It would be nice to have papers and be able to trace the dog back not to mention know that hips/back/elbows/ (eyes, too?) etc. were checked and the dog has a high probability for continued health provided nutrition and everything else is provided for.

But, are these dogs going to be over $1K? I read a thread on some dogs from good breeding programs going to 'permanent' homes but some people don't like the fact their dog was spayed or neutered. I am not looking to breed the dog nor would my Dad so that wouldn't be a factor for me. Even if I thought a puppy was very exceptional, I would not do anything unless the breeder okay'ed it with a contract or whatever the procedure is. I agree with being responsible.

Anyway, I was just wondering what one does if looking for an adult from a breeder and what the cost usually is. Most of the info is about puppies and the locations are usually very far from me. So, unless one is looking for a puppy, it seems like there are few opportunities to get a dog from a reputable breeder.

I'm just inquring. I am looking at Retrievers, too, since GSDs are hard to come by. The Rescue places look like they are GSD mixes and little info is provided.

Any thoughts?
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #75 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Adult or older puppies (depending on the level of training) can be more expensive because the breeder has put more money and effort into them. Then again you get the benefit in a adult of seeing the complete dog with little to no surprises as to health or temperament...

There are good points to both for sure

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Adult or older puppies (depending on the level of training) can be more expensive because the breeder has put more money and effort into them. Then again you get the benefit in a adult of seeing the complete dog with little to no surprises as to health or temperament...

There are good points to both for sure
Yeah, just read that including the older pup or adult possibly (or probably?) being more expensive. So, that crosses out that advantage.

I guess being able to bond and decide on your dog's care and training is good when you acquire a puppy but having a good idea of where you stand with the dog as an adult are two obvious pros respectively.

Maybe, I should just wait until I can get a pup and look for the GR since it seems there are more available or at least, it seems so. I mean, I don't have to scrutinize as much when looking for the 'ideal' dog for temperament. 'Hard to explain. :-/
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #77 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

A GR is a completely 100% different dog than a GSD. They are not without their own set of health and temperament issues (including, believe it or not, some lines with serious aggression issues). They also have show and "field" lines.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #78 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh yes you do ! " I mean, I don't have to scrutinize as much when looking for the 'ideal' dog for temperament. "

Also be prepared Golden Retrievers are high on the list for breeds dealing with risk for cancer. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...208235690.html

http://kikoshouse.blogspot.ca/2010/0...in-golden.html

thanks to the supplements I get to meet and hear from owners heart broken by their loved canines fight with cancer --- very very sad

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 01-15-2013 at 01:38 AM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
A GR is a completely 100% different dog than a GSD. They are not without their own set of health and temperament issues (including, believe it or not, some lines with serious aggression issues). They also have show and "field" lines.
Yep, I know. I guess I worded it in an unintentional way. I found it easier to find GR breeders that had good reps and a few were nearby. On kijiji, there were a few cases in which the adult dog available had papers and was purebred.

For GSDs, I only find Carmspack as a breeder to be interested in, in Ontario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
oh yes you do ! " I mean, I don't have to scrutinize as much when looking for the 'ideal' dog for temperament. "

Also be prepared Golden Retrievers are high on the list for breeds dealing with risk for cancer. The Cancer Risk for Purebred Dogs - WSJ.com

KIKO'S HOUSE: Breeders Play God As The Epidemic of Golden Retriever Cancers Grow Worse

thanks to the supplements I get to meet and hear from owners heart broken by their loved canines fight with cancer --- very very sad
Right. My Dad's GR got cancer.

I am just wondering how much GSD pups would cost. WL, that is.

It would be good to know for future plans.

My Dad wants a GR but for me, I like both breeds but I was pleased to read the threads (I think there's at least two) of the question of whether GSDs can do okay in apartments.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KB007

I paid 1100 for mine, working lines, plus shipping. When I was researching I found the price range from reputable, respected, and recommended breeders to fall between 1,000-1800.
KB007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.