Rocky Mountain GSDs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rocky Mountain GSDs

We saw one of the progenies of this breeder while on vacation in Colorado and fell in love with him. Does anyone have any experience with them?

We're looking for a loving companion pet who can aslo double as a therapy dog.

Thanks,

Michele
Gracie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

German Shepherd breeder in Colorado - Rocky Mountain German Shepherds
I just checked out their website.
They do work their dogs, all of them have titles. They also at least do hip/elbow checks. And in my personal opinion they have some gorgeous shepherds. UFO is quite a hunk!!!
Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder
I would personally call or email them, and see if they have any temperament tests/critiques from unbiased sources. It's easy to say that a dog has a solid, stable temperament or is incredible if it's yours. I would like to see a proffessional opinon personally (:

I'll leave the rest to a more knowledgeable member!!! Hopefully they'll correct any incorrect statements I made
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie2012 View Post
We saw one of the progenies of this breeder while on vacation in Colorado and fell in love with him. Does anyone have any experience with them?

We're looking for a loving companion pet who can aslo double as a therapy dog.

Thanks,

Michele
My dog is from Rocky Mountain German Shepherds. I liked the facilities and I liked Jayne, but I have been told by past trainers that the dogs from there do not have good temperments. I suppose this could be the opinions of some, but I liked their operation. They do tend to have quite a few litters,I don't know if that means anything and they do import quite a few litters.
Before we got our dog, I looked at a lot of breeders on the web in the area and then we went out to visit. They had quite a few people looking at their pups and the newer pups were handled by people a lot.
All of the adults were on the premises so that we could actually see them and their temperment. We went to visit our puppy for 4 weeks before we actually got him and all the staff there were very helpful.
There were a few people there that were picking out a second dog from Rocky Mountain German Shepherds., so that tells me that people have had good experiences with the breeder.
Since joining this board I also was curious if others with more experience would purchase from there.
I have to say that I love my puppy, he has been a great dog so far and if I had to do it over I would definitely go there for another puppy.
If you have any other questions send me a PM.
Victoria
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kev

I'm not impressed with the amount of litters that have currently.

Last edited by Kev; 07-15-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Just really make sure you've had a good read thru ----> Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder before you start narrowing down breeders.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They have a LOT of dogs and a LOT of litters.

It appears their dogs are kept in kennels, not living in the home.

They seem to be breeding a lot of longcoats; I thought that longcoats could not get pink papers under the German system, did that change?

They do have nice looking dogs; mostly German showlines, but a couple of working line bitches. Are they planning to mix show and working lines? Hope they know what they are doing. I can't comment on the bloodlines and how they may combine, as I'm not knowledgable in this area, so hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in.

It appears that they used to be active in SchH and titling their dogs, but aren't anymore.

"In our recent past we were very involved in schutzhund sport and the German showring for over 12 years at the National level. Although we can apprecitate extreme drive working lines that is not what we choose to produce through our kennel but instead prefer a middle ground dog with beauty and still plenty of brawn to be a protective GSD without the over active level of working line drives."

At $1600, the pups are priced reasonably. They accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Paypal. There is no health warranty after 72 hours. In fact, they don't have much of a health/hip guarantee at all, and it's worded in such a way that allows them to get out of pretty much anything.

Looks like they are running a pretty good business, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable buying from them.

Last edited by Freestep; 07-16-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I was looking for a pup I went up there on site to interview jayne and meet her dogs before making a decision on where to get a pup. She has at one time worked in the sport and show ring but does no longer. I know it has been a while on that side. TO me while she had a nice large kennel and a lot of breeding going on, I asked what she was breeding for as a goal and it came across as this was a side business to supplement the income of the lodge so they could be financially set.

Secondly, i was not real impressed with her interaction and being able to know that many dogs thoroughly to breed them that often in my view. Jayne also said she tried to breed balanced dogs. I walked away from there thinking that it was to big of an operation that I wanted to support.

On a side note a neighbor of mine has a female from her operation that when went to be spayed at 8 months had a complication of cysts and that had to be removed which I found odd for a pup that young. Also for a female that was supposed to be bred for balance she is very hectic and hard to settle down for my neighbors even though they do a lot of exercise with her.

Now after having the working line pup I do from another breeder I would not go to Jayne for a pup since I have talked to others in the area who been involved with Shepherds for years and wonder about the quality she is producing since she produces a lot of pups each year.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szariksdad View Post
When I was looking for a pup I went up there on site to interview jayne and meet her dogs before making a decision on where to get a pup. She has at one time worked in the sport and show ring but does no longer. I know it has been a while on that side. TO me while she had a nice large kennel and a lot of breeding going on, I asked what she was breeding for as a goal and it came across as this was a side business to supplement the income of the lodge so they could be financially set.

Secondly, i was not real impressed with her interaction and being able to know that many dogs thoroughly to breed them that often in my view. Jayne also said she tried to breed balanced dogs. I walked away from there thinking that it was to big of an operation that I wanted to support.

On a side note a neighbor of mine has a female from her operation that when went to be spayed at 8 months had a complication of cysts and that had to be removed which I found odd for a pup that young. Also for a female that was supposed to be bred for balance she is very hectic and hard to settle down for my neighbors even though they do a lot of exercise with her.

Now after having the working line pup I do from another breeder I would not go to Jayne for a pup since I have talked to others in the area who been involved with Shepherds for years and wonder about the quality she is producing since she produces a lot of pups each year.
I appreciate your feedback on Rocky Mountain German Shepherds. As I have mentioned in this post, I did get my current puppy from there and have been happy thus far. I would like to know where you got your dog from or where else here in Colorado that you would purchase from.
Like I said I am very happy with my dog, but having joined this board and reading about what people should look for in a breeder I do question the amount of litters that they have and that they import.
I thought that I had done my homework, I looked at all of my options,went to visit the facility, talked with the breeder. If you look at it from my stand point everything looked great, but if I know now what I didn't know then would I have made the same choice? I don't know.
Does having that many litters make them a bad breeder? What specifically should people be asking when visiting breeders?
I think the more knowledge and understanding on what people are looking for will help many people in asking the right questions and making a right decision for that individual.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

The thing about large number of litters on the ground is really if you no longer train your dogs for competition how well do you really know them. Yes you got lucky on a pup also my neighbor got unlucky on a pup. I came up with a list of questions after doing research and visiting a couple of local sport clubs. The questions I had were detailed and scared away a few breeders, so I then went and interviewed those breeders in person. As for RMGSD I think at the the time she had 1 litter to be born and about 2 or 3 on the ground, so i thought how well is she really interacting with the dogs and getting them prepared to be in peoples homes with that many. I ended up going with a breeder I found in Arizona.

One of the best ways to honestly learn about the local breeders is go to local Sch. dog training clubs or other type of training clubs, that have as residents of the club people involved in the breed for a long time and pick their brain about who has good dogs even for pet homes, it is even better than reading documents on the web.

Last edited by szariksdad; 07-16-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: to add more info.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
They seem to be breeding a lot of longcoats; I thought that longcoats could not get pink papers under the German system, did that change?

I think it was changed in 2010.
Also, the GSDCA is adding a long coat class to this years National.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.