Anyone heard of Grunenfeld? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yup, I have two dogs from Jackie. My friend owns another dog from her and another friend owns a couple of dogs (and has had dogs from her in the past). I don't check this board often, but you can always pm me.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Grunenfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakk View Post
Grunenfeld German Shepherds home page

Looking for a puppy and found here...Anyone heard good/bad?
3 yrs ago, I had an appt to go to Grunenfeld to look at an all black 9 month old. I called to say we were on the way, the answer I got was 'I sold the puppy. Went to Lundborg land and my appt was honored and I bought a gorgeous puppy complete with a healh guarantee.
nmmjmmgsds@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I know this thread is old, but as a caregiver to a wonderful Grunenfeld dog and a customer of Grunenfeld, I want to share my joy and happiness at owning one of Jackie's dogs.

I have been very impressed with the quality of dogs that Jackie produces. I am close friends w/ two Grunenfeld owners, including MSpiker03 who posts here, and another who has had 4 Grunenfeld dogs spanning over 2 decades, one of them being a litter-mate to my Janka Pie. I also met fellow Grunenfeld owners at the beach and through Flickr who have very well-bred and well-raised dogs. I am also very touched by the obvious love and passion she has for this breed and the GSDs she cares for & raises.

There will always be opinions based on surface impressions, and a website is no different than the cover of a book. She has been doing this for a long time, and I know she has reasons for the contents of her website, which to me, isn't as important as the time and effort she showed me before I committed to one of her puppies.

Before going with Grunenfeld, I was contacting GSD breeders from NorCal to SoCal, and even in AZ & NV. I didn't mind driving if it meant purchasing the right dog from an ethical breeder. I sent off questionnaires abt the sires/dams, diet of sires/dams/puppies, vaccination schedule of breeding adults/puppies as well as intrinsic questions such as why they breed, what they look for in owners, etc.

Jackie Athon was the ONLY person out of 11 candidates that fit the criteria on my list, right down to the diet (which was a BIGGIE for me) and the only one who answered ALL my questions earnestly w/o making me feel like I was a hassle. I was invited to her home to meet with her and her dogs before committing, and I stayed for over 4 hours.

Janka is an AMAZING dog. She was house-trained within a WEEK after we brought her home. She is fantastic with children of ALL ages, and instinctively know how to be gentle around the little ones even though my husband and I do not have children. I have parrots, cats and even at one point a 3-day old chick and I trust her implicitly. She is very trainable, healthy (apart from a chicken/seasonal allergy), extremely intelligent and has a very quirky sense of humour. She is everything I wanted in *MY* German Shepherd.

Whether you go with a Grunenfeld Dog or not, I wish you all the best in your search for the right dog. I have had no complaints, and I respect Jackie as a person, breeder and dog lover.

Good luck,
Rei

The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a Grunenfeld dog. He is amazing but I may be biased since I'm absolutely in love with him! He house broke the first day and he's sooo good with people, granted he's met A LOT of them. He greets them the same way my golden does, he's also very gentle with children even though he's only 4 months old. So far he's been a wonderful dog with the exception of teaching him that cats and small dogs are not toys.

The only thing I'd have to say is that Jackie is not always super easy to deal with personality wise but her dogs speak for themselves!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi Jakk, by now you have probably made your decisions. We bought our first dog from Gruenenfeld in 1989 and she lived to age 12. When she was around 10 (1999) we bought two shepherds from Jackie. They were a male and female and sired by Obelix vom Arkanum and Catrin from Gunenfeld. The female is still alive and will be 14 in May. Jackie was always ready to answer any questions that we had.

Our next dog will be a Grunenfeld Puppy!

Good luck with whatever choice you made!
LoveGSD's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Didn't want to start my own thread, so I'll just post here.

We just decided to go with Grunenfeld breeders for my next GSD, Jackie has been extremely helpful in answering all our questions and addressed all our concerns. We're very happy with our decision so far and we're awaiting our new puppy in May
MarkMulder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMulder View Post
Didn't want to start my own thread, so I'll just post here.

We just decided to go with Grunenfeld breeders for my next GSD, Jackie has been extremely helpful in answering all our questions and addressed all our concerns. We're very happy with our decision so far and we're awaiting our new puppy in May

Oh great! She was the breeder I was recommending to you but then I went and totally forgot to give you her info.

I just talked to her today actually about my pup and getting him into herding. She can sometimes not be the easiest person to deal with but she's extremely dedicated and her dogs speak for themselves... I couldn't be happier with my pup.

My pups sire is Ford, dunno if he has any current or upcoming litters or not. Though if you were looking for WL only then you probably wouldn't want Ford since he's west German showline. Good luck!

Last edited by Carriesue; 02-22-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Oh great! She was the breeder I was recommending to you but then I went and totally forgot to give you her info.

I just talked to her today actually about my pup and getting him into herding. She can sometimes not be the easiest person to deal with but she's extremely dedicated and her dogs speak for themselves... I couldn't be happier with my pup.

My pups sire is Ford, dunno if he has any current or upcoming litters or not. Though if you were looking for WL only then you probably wouldn't want Ford since he's west German showline. Good luck!
Oh not at all, you said breeder in El Cajon and I googled "GSD breeder el cajon" and found her because of you So far she seems really nice and dedicated.

Just curious, what makes her not so easy to deal with? So I know what to be prepared for
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMulder View Post
Oh not at all, you said breeder in El Cajon and I googled "GSD breeder el cajon" and found her because of you So far she seems really nice and dedicated.

Just curious, what makes her not so easy to deal with? So I know what to be prepared for
Oh she is very old school when it comes to training methods(think Koehler) but she has been doing this since the late 70's, she is very blunt and doesn't sugar coat things which some people might like and others might take offense to. She's not mean at all, she's just not the warm bubbly type. And we had some email communication issues. That's all. I visited her multiple times though before my pup was born and again when he was 5 weeks old and she was nothing but welcoming and answered every question and went into great details about her lines and the different types of dogs.

And she's there for the dogs life with any questions you might have... I've talked to her several times since bringing my pup home 4 months ago and she always gets back to me super quick.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Oh she is very old school when it comes to training methods(think Koehler) but she has been doing this since the late 70's, she is very blunt and doesn't sugar coat things which some people might like and others might take offense to. She's not mean at all, she's just not the warm bubbly type. And we had some email communication issues. That's all. I visited her multiple times though before my pup was born and again when he was 5 weeks old and she was nothing but welcoming and answered every question and went into great details about her lines and the different types of dogs.

And she's there for the dogs life with any questions you might have... I've talked to her several times since bringing my pup home 4 months ago and she always gets back to me super quick.
Ah yup, I can see what you mean with the bluntness. But I prefer blunt, straight facts, rather than a used car salesmen sugarcoating act.

That's great, I'm confident we made the right choice, we can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.