German Shepherds Forum banner

East Coast Working Line Breeders

33K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
My search begins. :) Looking at next year sometime. Anywhere from Kentucky -> East and North Carolina -> North. I would like them to be in driving distance to meet dogs in person.

I have a short list which I'll be expanding on once my weekends settle down and I can get to some SchH events to watch the dogs....

sooo......what working line breeders have you bought from? Why are you happy with them?

#4 ·
Just curious- what are your plans for the new dog?

#10 ·
DRAT.

I had a huge post typed and it got kicked out because I had to go answer the door.

Will reply again later. The dog has nerves of steel, in my opinion. Reacts well even in situations where I wouldn't expect him to, such as the storm the other night. Barked at lightning, then went outside and did his business with flashing lights all around him, and all he did was pee and look around with ears forward.

#7 ·
Blackthorn Working German Shepherds in Virginia. Three of the dogs on our SAR team are from there, and I'm really impressed with them. I think Christine is a member here as well?

If you want to include Tennessee, Sequoyah Kennels outside of Chattanooga has some very nice dogs as well.

#8 ·
Thanks Neo93! She is a member and is on my list already. :) Chattanooga is a hard days drive from here so I'm on the fence on Sequoyah...not because I don't like their dogs...just because I want a breeder a little closer and there are so many good ones on the east coast that I don't think I would be narrowing my choices.

#9 ·
If you're willing to go to Canada I've been extremely happy with my breeder Stalworth Kennels. They're about a hour south of Ottawa and most of their dogs go to either service or police work. They have great bloodlines and their dogs are raised in the house with their two young children, cats, fish, even a parrot lol.

He's got a excellent temperament and is very easy to train, he's very solid in new situations and loves playing but also has a good "off switch" :). I wouldn't hesitate to go back for another dog from them. They also has a good guarantee on both health and temperament. I send regular updates and they've already told me they'd take him back for boarding anytime and welcome visits. They really love their dogs and they will ship the puppy to you if needed

Narnia was on my short list

#11 ·
I'd definitely get a dog from Christine, and I'd get another from Halo's breeder too but she has no breeding females right now so they wouldn't carry her kennel name. Kandi does have Halo's sire, and he's being used as a stud quite a bit on the East Coast (I believe Christine has a planned Doc litter soon), so I would be able to find a half sibling from another breeder. Hopefully that won't be for a very long time though, Keefer needs to stay healthy and I can only handle 2 dogs!

Kandi would be able to tell you who else has been or will be bred to Doc if you're interested: H'Doc vom Rex Lupus

Halo is a lot of fun, nice and drivey but with a very good off switch. She's confident and fearless and also very cuddly and affectionate. She took to flyball right away and jumped right into the pool the first time we took her dock diving.

Kandi has been very supportive, and has an email group for her puppy buyers. It's not that active since there's also a FB group for Doc fans and progeny, where are lot of us are also members. There are quite a few people in the group posting pictures and bragging about achievements, and even though I've never met Kandi I consider her a friend. Christine has a FB group too.

#12 ·
So hard to 'pick' a breeder/dog. I find there are so many I LIKE out there, honestly I'm not sure where I'd go at this very moment if I were in the market.

Masi keeps me busy for now and I don't mind having one dog to 'play' 'work' with:)

Good luck in your search, so hard to pick:)

#14 ·
I second the comments on a breeding from Doc. We have multiple Doc babies in my Schutzhund club (including Halo's male litter mate) and if you're looking for drive and intensity, I can tell you that Doc is a great producer.

I'm also looking for a litter for next year ish. I have my eye on Risden Haus right now, but I will be watching this thread very closely.

#15 ·
I have my eye on Risden Haus right now
Agree!
That E litter looks amazing. I fell in love with Elvis just from his pics.

Michigan isn't that far either! Don't forget about Wildhaus!

#17 ·
The usual from the forums. Van Gogh is another I was looking closely at. Sitz vd Hosen....Jody only has one breeding female at a time generally. Currently it's Nike....she owned her mom Anita who recently passed and Nike has had 1 litter so far. All but 1 are in working homes. I know probably 20-30 dogs that are somehow related to her and they are all super.

#19 ·
Eichenluft in PA is on my short list, although we are at least 2 years away from another puppy. I have talked to Molly via email and she is very welcoming to potential puppy buyers to come visit. She loves to talk about her breeding program and of course show you.

Good luck, how exciting:)

#20 ·
We have a few dogs from Eichenluft breedings in our training group (Schutzhund and personal protection). All are amazing dogs with very nice drive. I'm very impressed with them. I've also heard a lot of great things about them from everyone who's been there and gotten dogs from them.

I'd definitely take a look at them. Heard they are great to work with too! :)

#26 ·
Wolfstraum - though of course I don't know what Lee's going to be able to do since her accident, it may be quite some time before she does another breeding.

#30 ·
Wolfstraum - though of course I don't know what Lee's going to be able to do since her accident, it may be quite some time before she does another breeding.
Lee's female!? :eek: I thought for sure that user was male! hahaha...

#34 ·
Anyone have any input on Erich Grasso?
German Shepherds for Sale in Connecticut (CT) | Police Dogs for Sale

I've met one of his dogs and know another who has one. Both dogs have great temperaments.
I've never met any of his dogs, but I have a friend who's trained with him. They're one of the families pictured in the "testimonials" page. I know they said they liked him, but his (their dog) behavior issues definitely weren't solved after working with him. The dog is no longer with them anymore because of those behavior issues.

#31 ·
I have also met a dog from Grasso, LOVE HIM! He's got a great temperament, seems to be overall healthy, nice dog.

#33 ·
Haven't met him, my husband has tho, and LOVED him, it was someone else at a dog trial I was at,,Hubby said Keys is a wonderful dog, from what I know, he is the ambassador of the bait/tackle shop where Angel lives,,great with EVERYONE, fine with other animals. The one I met also a male, had a great temp and the owner said so far no real health issues..

Angel is on my FB, I'm sure you could always contact her thru there and ask more about Keys:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.