Recommend True Haus Kennels? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey von View Post
I was unaware of the linebreeding (or what linebreeding was).
It's a positive way of saying "inbreeding". You'll have a hard time finding a GSD that *isn't* linebred to some degree, unless you breed for example an American Showline dog to an old East German line dog. That would be considered a total outcross, almost like mixing two different breeds.

Linebreeding definitely has its merits when done in an intelligent way. Basically, it concentrates genes, both good and bad. If the same dog appears on both sides of the pedigree, perhaps several times, you have to take a look at that dog. If it is an excellent working dog, rated excellent in conformation, with a good solid temperament and good hips, that linebreeding is generally regarded as a good thing. There's a lot more to it than that, but for the sake of simplifying things, that's the idea behind it.

However, you have to know what potentially "bad" genes are hiding in the pedigree. You might not want to linebreed on a dog that is known for passing on bad hips, for example. And if you linebreed heavily on dogs that are, for example, known to be sharp, you need to balance it out in some way by also bringing in dogs that have very strong nerves and high thresholds for aggressive behavior.

Hope that all makes sense.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMichelle View Post
For those of you with True Haus dogs. I'm curious as to what their hip rating is, if you don't mind sharing.
Bunny's OFA Prelims did not pass. The other relative I know in this area also did not pass.

To others with True Haus dogs....did they remove your pup's front dew claws? They did on Bunny's litter. Have never had a GSD before where the breeder removed front dew claws.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

My TH Pup has her dewclaws..... I prefer they dont have them, but thats not a deal breaker...
Is it common or uncommon to have the dews on the shepherds? In labs- I breed working line labs-and we take the dews off......
Billie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ernst is a dog that many of the working people (for LE, PP, SDA ), really like to see Ernst in a pedigree....I have him in both my young male pups. Having said that, there are some real great dogs that I wouldn't do a close line breeding on....like Grim in the Czech lines and probably Ernst in WG. But that's just an opinion and Truehaus has produced some nice dogs oer the years.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post
Is it common or uncommon to have the dews on the shepherds? In labs- I breed working line labs-and we take the dews off......
I've had GSDs for almost 30 years, and for a while I worked for a show handler who bred GSDs. All the dogs I handled had their dew claws. All the German Shepherds I've worked with in training have kept their dew claws. I can only think of one dog that had dew claws removed, and it was done as an adult....not due to injury but because he was hurting his owner with his claws.

It just surprised me (and surprised the owner of the stud dog, who sent Bunny to me) that Bunny's dew claws had been removed.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Ernst is a dog that many of the working people (for LE, PP, SDA ), really like to see Ernst in a pedigree....I have him in both my young male pups. Having said that, there are some real great dogs that I wouldn't do a close line breeding on....like Grim in the Czech lines and probably Ernst in WG. But that's just an opinion and Truehaus has produced some nice dogs oer the years.
What does Ernst bring to the breeding?

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
ponyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My first purebred GSD was from True Haus, this was near 20 years ago now. She did not have dewclaws removed. She did, however, have severe HD. I have to hand it to True Haus though, they refunded the puppy price in full. And I don't think they have any of those bloodlines anymore--after my pup came up dysplastic, they never repeated the breeding.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The GSD is required to have its front dewclaws. When rear ones show up (which is fairly rare) they are removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ernst brought good nerve and excellent hardness. Very confident dogs that usually can perform in many arenas.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
The GSD is required to have its front dewclaws.
Thank you- This, I did not know.......
Billie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.