German Shepherds Forum banner

Recommendations for Breeder in Midwest? (WI, MN, IL, MI)

23K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  s88 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All
My husband and I are going to be getting a GSD in the next 6 months or so.

My husband raised / had a beautiful white german shepherd who passed away awhile ago (he's no stranger to shepherds).

We'd like a dog that is energetic, trains well, great personality etc...
I'm not too sure about this worker dog / show. We just want a solid, healthy companion dog with great temperament.

Particularly, We'd like a breeder that doesn't "Mass breed" or anything like that. We'd like a personal touch with beautiful dogs - Even someone that breeds out of home on a small scale would be nice.

Can someone recommend good, reputable, ethical breeders to check out in the Midwest?
Particularly WI but we're willing to drive for the right breeder / dog.

Thanks for any and all help!

#3 ·
Are you looking for working or showline?

As marshies mentioned, Huerta Hof has some very nice dogs. Huerta Hof German Shepherds I also like Alta-Tollhaus's German showlines. Alta-Tollhaus German Shepherd Dogs

For working lines, I have had some good things about Von der Staatsmacht. Staatsmacht Kennel, one of the top working lines kennel in the world Gildaf is another working line breeder and she is located in Wisconsin. - Home Also, Wildhaus is in MI. (Wildhaus Kennels, Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan)

Good luck in your puppy search! I am sure more people will chime in with ideas. You can also do a search on the boards for MN/WI breeders. I know there are several threads around with people looking for breeders in the same locations you are interested in.

#7 ·
#10 ·
I also recommend Huerta Hof. I do not have a pup from them yet, but when my family is ready that is where it will come from. I have also met Melinda from Gildaf and she has some amazing dogs as well. As for working vs. show, if you go to a reputable breeder each will likely have a pup that fits your household. They will pick the pup that they believe will compliment your household. Not all working lines are crazy high energy dogs with no turn off switch and not all show lines are lazy dogs with no drive.

#11 ·
I have two dogs from Alta-Tollhaus and one dog from Bill Kulla (Geistwasser). Being in WI Bill is probably closer. He breeds working lines but many of them are active dogs in pet homes. I recommend getting one from a litter sired by Boy von Zorra. I chose my puppy from this sire because he is a good working dog but also a stable, social dog in a pet/home environment.

#12 ·
Highly recommend Bill Kulla / vom Geistwasser.

I got my dream dog from him, he did an excellent job matching puppy to owner. My boy, Hunter, is both a stable family companion and a fantastic working dog.

:: BILL KULLA DOG TRAINING ::

#14 ·
Wow, Thank you soo much to everyone for posting :)

My husband and I are going to check out Huerta Hof & Vom Gildaf when the time comes, possibly Kulla as well.

We are so thrilled to add a member to our family. I can't wait to be able to shower him with lots of love. It'll also be nice to keep each other active! :) Can't wait to take him to the park and lots of fetch!

I'll let you know how it goes :)
S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.