Breeders in the Pacific NW - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeders in the Pacific NW

I've been looking at breeders via google the past couple of weeks, and finally stumbled across this forum.

I'm going to be looking for a new baby somewhere between September - February, and thought that starting my search now would be a good idea.

I'm a 28 year old college student who has lived with dogs / animals my entire life, until moving to Portland, OR. Where I live right now does not accept pets, so I will be moving in order to become a parent again. I may be recommended for a therapy dog for anxiety issues, so I have my eyes to a puppy or rescue that can work well for that job, although puppies are recommended.

That being said, I dearly want another shepherd. My last baby was my soulmate in furry form, and has forever made me fall in love with the breed. I got very lucky in an adoption from a local shelter when I lived in Southern Limburg (Holland), and was chosen by a GSD. And yes, I firmly believe that she chose me as much as I chose her. So I do have experience with them, and a profound love for them. (Sadly, she passed away a few years ago. I miss her dearly, and always will.)

That said, I do have my eyes in the direction of a therapy dog. They will be my companion as much as my child, and will be well loved, socialized, and trained. Portland, OR itself is a very dog friendly area, with tons of parks, trails, and dog parks. They will accompany me wherever they can, and if I do get the therapy dog recommendation, likely everywhere.

I do have a budget, however, given I'm only a college student. I'll be able to spend $1000 max to a breeder. Preferably less, but I understand a lot of work and money goes into the health of the dogs and everything breeders have to go through. I'd pay more if I could, but I sadly can't. Temperament and health are my top priorities in looking for a dog, although I would prefer dogs that have less black in them than seems popular these days. I also don't mind driving a couple of hours to both visit the furry parents, and human parents of whomever fits me best.

I have no children, and presently no plans for other animals, but they will still need to work well with everyone given their future job. They likely won't have a large backyard if one at all, but I'll make sure to make up for that.
Zayven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

You can't raise your price by 200-500? It's so much easier to find a GSD breeder who sales puppies for 1200-1500. With what you are looking for, a therapy dog, you need a good puppy from good parents that have the desirable temperament. Not saying breeders who sale in the 1000 price range or bad or anything, but most breeders who sale great puppies sale at a great price. You need a quality, sound puppy and it's hard to find what you need for 1000 or least it is for me.

Are you willing to have the puppy shipped to you or does the breeder have to be local?
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here is a nice looking breeder in Washington:
German Shepherd Working Dogs DDR German Shepherd Breeders DDR German Shepherd Puppies

They've got some nice looking, working dogs. I don't live in Washington and I don't know a whole lot about them. They're just a breeder I found close to you or on the NW Pacific. You might want to ask about them. Their prices are 1500 and up. I'll see if I can find a breeder in your price range or on the the lower range of prices.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Possibly 200, but not 500. (Unless I can make payments over time.)

I'm not opposed to having the puppy shipped, but that also does add on to the price. I don't like having to put a puppy on a plane, but sometimes it's necessary. Unfortunately with having a puppy shipped, I also can't meet the breeders and the parents. So... not preference, but not totally opposed.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayven View Post
Possibly 200, but not 500. (Unless I can make payments over time.)

I'm not opposed to having the puppy shipped, but that also does add on to the price. I don't like having to put a puppy on a plane, but sometimes it's necessary. Unfortunately with having a puppy shipped, I also can't meet the breeders and the parents. So... not preference, but not totally opposed.
All right, I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Zayven, be aware that people googling breeders in your area and posting links is not the same thing as a recommendation - I would really go with recommendations from people who have dealt in person with the breeders that they recommend and have dogs from them, or know dogs from them. Anyone can put together an impressive website and post pictures of nice-looking dogs. Heck, even puppy-mills have gorgeous, impressive, professional looking sites, impressive blather, affordable prices, and gorgeous pics - but really that does not tell the whole story.

That said, agree with the price range - for working lines from recommended breeders, you will be looking around the 1200 to 2000 dollar range. If I were you, I'd work on saving up a bit more to get a good pup from a recommended breeder instead of finding one based on price.

The link that GSD Fan posted above is worth looking into - I think you will get a number or recommendations from people here that have dogs or had dogs from Vom Banach.

Another breeder that I know of is Vom HausReid, in Oregon. The dogs I have seen here from Ray have all been healthy and had good temperaments. A few members on the board have dogs from Ray and can't be more satisfied.
German Shepherds | Vom HausReidr Oregon

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've been looking for a while now and I am sorry, I couldn't find a lot of breeders 1200 and lower.

I will say this, it was not a wasted search even for me. I found another working line breeder to book mark:
SchraderhausK9.com - +1.253.843.1123 PST - German Shepherd Working Dogs

I was very impressed with their site. I don't know a lot about them, but if I decide to get a working line GSD, you can bet I will check that link above out again.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Whileas I really do appreciate the help in googling, I was moreso hoping for recommendations like Castlemaid's. I have quite the google list going myself, but with so many breeders out there, I was hoping for a little more guidance in navigating who to try to focus on most, rather than travelling out to 20 different places.

I will take more time to save up money if it does come down to that - I do admit I'm a little 'impatient' about the topic. I've never gone so long without a dog in my life, and its an aching hole that I've been dealing with for the past 1.5 years now. Just to explain the impatience. If I have to wait another full year or so, though, to save up more money, I will for the right breeder.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

You adopted before, is adopting a dog out of the question now?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayven View Post
Whileas I really do appreciate the help in googling, I was moreso hoping for recommendations like Castlemaid's. I have quite the google list going myself, but with so many breeders out there, I was hoping for a little more guidance in navigating who to try to focus on most, rather than travelling out to 20 different places.

I will take more time to save up money if it does come down to that - I do admit I'm a little 'impatient' about the topic. I've never gone so long without a dog in my life, and its an aching hole that I've been dealing with for the past 1.5 years now. Just to explain the impatience. If I have to wait another full year or so, though, to save up more money, I will for the right breeder.
What was different about castlemaid's recommendation? She even stated that members would testify to the first breeder I recommended, if you're saying you are looking for a breeder whom members have bought from.

Excuse me for trying to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.