Breeders in New England? Northeast? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to A2Was
Default Breeders in New England? Northeast?

(Re-posting to start it as a new thread.)

I am a looking to get a German Shepherd for my family here in Connecticut. Will prefer breeder within New England or NY/NJ. I have two young kids, ages 4 and 9. First and foremost, I am looking for a family dog that has a solid temperament and can be around other people, relative, and young children. While I am not planning on have a "show dog" or entering the dog in any type of shutzhund competition, I also want a dog that will protect my family when and if necessary. We live in a suburban, wooded area on 3 acres.

My biggest concern right now is what I am going to do with the dog during normal working hours as both I am my wife work. Until the dog gets a bit older and and I can find a suitable dog walker, I was planning on sending the dog to "doggie day care" at Dog Gone Smart in Norwalk, as it is close to my job.

I would prefer a younger dog or puppy that could grow with my family, but am not sure if it should be a boy or girl. This would also be the first dog I have ever owned as an adult (owned a mix breed as a kid), but I am determined to do this "the right way" in regards to training.

Would also prefer the classic, red/yellow and black, short-haired, West German line of GSD.

Anyone have suggestions? I was told to go to Welcome to Haus Juris German Shepherd Dogs in Virginia, but I think it is just too far. This is a broad question, but I hoping someone can help who has had previous good experiences or knows of good reputations. Thanks!
A2Was is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is a very big time GSD breeder in CT - probably WAY more than you need as far as prestige/price....so ......

Traumhof is in MA I think...uses Kirchental lines and from what I know from people who actually know her, should have what you are looking for....a female usually is what I recommend to people looking for a family companion - but again, dependant on the individual...there may be a few other WGSL breeders around, that I just can't think of off hte top of my head as well...

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

You could try Dee Clark at Vom Haus Mansfield -- she doesn't breed often, I think, but has some nice dogs.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not familiar with breeders on the East coast, but I just have to ask...

What does your username mean? A while back I saw a lot of license plates that started with "2WAS" and always wondered if it meant something.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hey... you figured out how to start a new thread. Welcome to the board. You're not to far from me if you're in Norwalk... just a couple exits up on 95.

Anyways... There are some good working line breeders, but not too many great german show line breeders in the area. If I was going show line, I'd probably look up to Michigan or over to Illinois for one before staying in the immediate area.

I know of the breeder Lee (wolfstraum) mentioned in CT. Big operation, but haven't heard the best things about them. Very expensive. Our local paper did a nice big article about how great they are and what not about a year or two back, but I'm not impressed from what I've heard through the grapevine.

Here's another breeder right over the border in Harrison, NY if you want to take a look. I spoke with her a few years back and have met a few of her dogs. Not crazy expensive, typical show line prices from when I spoke to her. Nice dogs from the few I've met, but I didn't really see them in action. Might want to take a look. I believe they use some of the lines from that other big operation in CT that was mentioned or at least they have at some point.

NY German Shepherd Puppies Pups For Sale NY German Shepherds For Sale Dogs New York
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nice website
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Was View Post
While I am not planning on have a "show dog" or entering the dog in any type of shutzhund competition, I also want a dog that will protect my family when and if necessary.
Couple of things about this:
If you want a dog that is willing and ready to engage an intruder, you will have to do ongoing training. Your average, untrained GSD is perfectly willing to bark and look menacing, but if it's important to you that the dog physically fight off a bad guy, that requires a lot more training. You might want to consider purchasing a young adult that's already started in Personal Protection.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to A2Was

It's Just a shortened version of my first and last name. Two "A's" in my first name, Aaron, etc. No deeper meaning. : )
A2Was is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

You can check out Noble Craft she in Canterbury CT the other end of the state here, but I beleive she has a couple older puppies, like 5 months old maybe? Just google her kennel name.

I'm in CT, and well what can I say, this state is rather 'lacking' in my opinion. There is also this one
Do-Sa Shepherds | Stratford, CT 06614 who is in Stratford, but I don't really know anything about them.

All I can say is , be wary who you deal with in CT

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Was View Post
It's Just a shortened version of my first and last name. Two "A's" in my first name, Aaron, etc. No deeper meaning. : )
Ah, I see! I have a friend named Aaron who goes by the handle "Double A"... Even his mom calls him that.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.