bicolor GSD breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default bicolor GSD breeders

Breeders of bicolor German Shepherds are proving hard to find. I have been looking for awhile and decided I might as well post another thread and see if anyone could recommend a reputable breeder, as I would appreciate it. I live in Oregon but I'm willing to travel.
Keno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know of any bicolor breeders, reputable or irreputable...lol. I do know of breeders that occaisionally have bicolor puppy in their litters. If a person was breeding for bicolors only, I would leery of getting one of the pups for many reasons. I'm sure there are some litters around the country that will produce some bicolor pups.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

What Cliff said!
I have a bicolor female, the mother was a bicolor and the father was black. I bought her totally based on the mother (I absolutely love her temperament) but I did not specify color. The breeder asked me at one point if I had a color preference and I told her I really just wanted the correct temperament and the color was not an issue. I was very happy to end up with a bicolor since she looked most like her mom, but I really didn't care.
My husband's male is from the same bitch and a different sire, he was also a bicolor. My husband ended up with a solid black.
If it really matters that much then maybe you should look at some breeders who have a bicolor sire or dam that you really like. Just keep in mind that many breeders won't guarantee a bicolor, they can't! And since bicolor is mostly in working lines, you won't find most who breed for color, they will breed for workability and temperament way before color comes into the equation. If they are breeding for color as a major factor then I'd be leery of them.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have produced two bi-colors - LOL - both from sable sires, one from a sable dam, the other a black dam.....so no, people do not breed for them specifically.

I do know someone with a companion puppy who is a bi-color or at worst, a full blanket black and tan - not sure if there is tan on the throat or head of puppy - nearly 8 weeks old -would have to be shipped...impeccable breeding, raised with toddler....PM me for more info if you are interested...

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Eichenluft German Shepherd Dogs

Molly's Bandit and Lea just had a litter. As of a few days ago, she had 3 sable males, 1 bi-color male, 2 sable females, 1 black female (MINE! lol)

From what I understand she may have another litter with the possibility of Bi-Colors as well this coming late winter/early spring!

Best thing I found was to talk to the breeders and ask for their recommendations. They all have word-of-mouth recommendations, and if you keep working your way west from here in PA, eventually you can get around your area with a reputable breeder! =)

HTH
Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Look at this poor guy.
Ashland,Ky 1 Yr old Bi-Color Shep Craigslist

I fostered the most beautiful bi-color boy and I love them too, so understand liking that look.

Cannot tell if she's black...
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Seattle, WA | Frederique van der Wal
Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Reputable breeders don't breed for color, but I'm sure at some point or other they will have bicolor puppies available.
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I somehow have a bunch of bicolor adults right now. I really haven't selected for this--but somehow, that's how it's fallen out in the past few years. So, I expect that I will have bicolor puppies next year, but those eggs haven't even been laid yet.

Christine

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can you tell me if bicolors are rare or unrecognized? I just purchased one and do not know about bicolors.
Herchemicalhalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

None of the above. They are absolutely recognized and while the may not be as common as other colors, not rare either.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.