Northeast Ohio Breeders?? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agile GSD I agree. I am from the Ytown Area. The Canfield show brings lots of GSD Breeders to the area and your right there are some breeders around.There are also schutzhund Clubs and the Northern Ohio German Shepherd Dog Club.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

German Shepherd Dog Club of Northern Ohio. You can google it. It will tell you when and where the next meeting is. Or I can tell you. It is next Tuesday evening at a hotel in Macedonia.

We are not full of Amish puppy mills, but there are some Amish around, and some do puppies. Southern Ohio has the auctions and that is bad. So, you do have to be careful wherever you get your puppy from.

The Canfield show is awesome. I put some titles on my girls there. But that is in the beginning of August. If you want to go to a show and see some dogs work, there is a show in Cleveland mid December. (I doubt I will have even one of these monsters ready by then.) But the IX center is a GREAT show for dog-lovers and worth the haul.

I used to go to school in Youngstown, straight shot down rt 11 about 50 minutes from my house. I give myself an hour and 10 minutes to get to the IX center in Cleveland. So that would be a 2 hour drive if you go north then east. It might be quicker to go west on 80 or something diagonal.

In any case. If you want to find some serious breeders in NE Ohio, check out the GSD club, meeting on the second Tuesday of the month (except December), and/or go the dog show in Cleveland, the Christmas Classic.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Val does have a litter posted from Drama and Kimon Grenzblick....he is a very very nice male with great temperament.

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you all for your great feedback. Curious if anyone is familar with Peters' Elite GSD in Medina, OH. I spoke with them earlier and they had tons of information and offered a lot of advice of what to look for in a quality breeder. They seem very particular as to who they sell dogs to.
rob011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, they are members of our GSD club. I have never bought a dog from them though.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
You know what, that's a classic example of a Texan generalizing about other states and I apologize. I've heard so many times that there are lot of Amish puppy mills in Ohio and, you know. . . other states don't have areas. They're too small. I'd get mad if somebody said that Texas is all one way but of course other smaller states are all one homogeneous mass.
LOL not a problem. I'm not saying there aren't "puppy mills" in Ohio, it's just not something I have ever heard associated with the Ytown area before. And we do have a lot of serious dog people in this general area, in GSDs and other breeds. Of course, one should always do their homework before buying a puppy

FWIW the IX Center is about 90 minutes from Youngstown taking the turnpike. Made that trips so many times over the years! There used to be a summer IX show too and I miss it. The Christmas Classic is a great experience - tons of vendors and a big agility trial and an obedience/rally trial in addition to conformation. Horrible, overpriced onsite food though - bring your own lunch!

As far as GSDs at that show go, you're likely to see almost entirely American showlines or German/American crosse with some German lines in the obedience and agility rings. Which is fine, just don't go expecting to see all types of GSDs equally represented. I think there is also a Schutzhund trial in a couple weeks in the Akron area, where you'll see almost exclusively German line GSDs. There is also a Schutzhund club about 45 minutes from Youngstown that you could visit. If you are interested in more info on that, let me know.

You can get a good pet out of any of the lines, so that will be up to you to decide what you what. Whatever you decide look for parents that you like the temperament of and a puppy that you like from health tested parents and pedigree (OFA hips and elbows at minimum for multiple generations). And a breeder that you get along with well and agree with
AgileGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

FWIW, I was up that way this past weekend (I used to live in Chardon) looking for a dog. I can refer you to TWO places: 1) Pat Matarrese who runs the NEOWDA; he had two younger dogs for sale and a Sch3 male. All nice, but a little too much drive for my 7 yr old son! Working lines, he has placed several dogs with Geauga county sheriff; he was a very nice man and extremely knowledgable. 2) Just happened to find Mi-Lyn kennels in Leetonia through the AKC website. She has some puppies available, just ready to go (8 wks). I am not a GSD bloodline buff AT ALL (now ask me about Arabian horse bloodlines, and I can talk for hours!) - but I want healthy hips, excellent yet protective termperaments. We saw the parents, one of the grandparents and some other dogs. All were healthy and great with my son; I was not really looking for a new puppy, but we did put a deposit down and now I am trying to get the house ready. I haven't had a puppy since I was my son's age. I think it will be fine. I'd like to get another dog later, maybe an adult with some Sch training.

Email me at REDorsey1066@gmail if you want info, phone numbers etc.

Renee

PS - You can always check out Kirchenwald in Gibsonia, PA - wow, we went there 2 months ago - out of our price range, but WOW - incredible dogs!
REDorsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Just curious if anyone else knows anything about Mi-Lyn Kennels in Leetonia, OH?? Thanks for any info
rob011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would keep looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

"I would keep looking." Obviously a nice way of saying, well what? PM me on that. If you KNOW of a personal experience these dogs/kennel, then I'd like to be forewarned of what "may" happen. If it is heresay or based on outward appearances, then I might not care.

Rob011: I think it depends on what kind of dog a person is looking for. If you want a family dog, then from what I saw - and so far at home with the puppy - then they are just fine. If you want a high drive working line, probably not so much. High end show line, not so much either. For us RIGHT NOW - this puppy fits our family.

As for being in Amish area, there were Amish nearby but these folks were definitely not Amish! If I were to have found their website, then I may have passed on by; there is not a lot of info on it and it could be a lot better. But for once, I decided to follow my instincts based on the conversation I had with the breeder, and it worked out for me. Like I said before, email me if you have any comments/questions, etc.

REDorsey1066@gmail.com
REDorsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.