Your thoughts on this breeder? 2nd attempt! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Your thoughts on this breeder? 2nd attempt!

Alright, so i have decided to not buy from the previous website that i brought to some of your attention since most of you said a lot of red flags went up. Also i have decided to bring the price up a bit to a max of 1500.

If you guys could take a look at this website and let me know your opinions once again it will be greatly appreciated.

www.redsabovetherest.com

They specialize in deep red WGSL GSDs but i am not interested in the deep red but rather a nice balanced pigmentation of tan/red with a solid black saddle. Fortunately they have 1 puppy left from their most recent litter who was last to be picked and is still available. I assume its because he isn't deep red since most people who go to their website are looking for the deep red ( i assume ). He is now 3 months old.

Last edited by Aralez; 10-04-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Aralez is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

personally i think they look good but i'm still learning myself. I like the fact they work their dogs. Well their males at least. I didnt see anything that told me they work their females but i may have missed it.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not really a fan of any breeder who breeds specifically for certain characteristics like a specific color, a certain size, a certain coat, etc. Kind of a turn off for me, but that's me. That doesn't mean they're bad dogs though.

Looking at the pedigrees of their dogs, I do see some very well known WGSL names. I see some names that are in my dogs pedigree too. Other than that, I'm definitely no expert on reading pedigrees, but it looks like your typical german show line pedigrees.

Where are you located? Are you anywhere near the breeder? Do they have any third party references that you can speak to regarding this breeder and their dogs outside of this forum? What are you goals for the dog?

ETA: Some of those pictures look to be photoshopped a bit to enhance that red coat. Maybe it's just me though, but something about those photos make me think they're photoshopped.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 10-04-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Lucy Dog is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Too late to edit my last post again, but in your other thread... it looks like Robin (robinhuerta) reached out and told you she knows a breeder in your price range with a litter due very soon.

Did you ever get around to speaking to her about it? If i was looking for a show line puppy, she would be the person I listen to when it comes to those lines. Her reputation speaks for itself.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
I'm not really a fan of any breeder who breeds specifically for certain characteristics like a specific color, a certain size, a certain coat, etc. Kind of a turn off for me, but that's me. That doesn't mean they're bad dogs though.

Looking at the pedigrees of their dogs, I do see some very well known WGSL names. I see some names that are in my dogs pedigree too. Other than that, I'm definitely no expert on reading pedigrees, but it looks like your typical german show line pedigrees.

Where are you located? Are you anywhere near the breeder? Do they have any third party references that you can speak to regarding this breeder and their dogs outside of this forum? What are you goals for the dog?

ETA: Some of those pictures look to be photoshopped a bit to enhance that red coat. Maybe it's just me though, but something about those photos make me think they're photoshopped.
I agree i also thought it may be a little edited to enhance the redness but that's a good thing for me because it means they aren't as red as they appear since im not interested in that deep red color anyway. But its also a negative because i guess its sorta deceiving to the customers.

I am located only 2 hours away from them and I'm planning on going down there these couple days. But still, I'm very new to all of this so i highly value the opinions of this experienced forum, above my own.

One goal...my best friend!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Too late to edit my last post again, but in your other thread... it looks like Robin (robinhuerta) reached out and told you she knows a breeder in your price range with a litter due very soon.

Did you ever get around to speaking to her about it? If i was looking for a show line puppy, she would be the person I listen to when it comes to those lines. Her reputation speaks for itself.
I did get in contact with the owner of the litter. Unfortunately the dam of the litter had too much sable in her black saddle and i want a solid black saddle. She told me that she cannot guarantee that any of them will have a solid black saddle. This might sound a little "weak" but im specific with what i want. I would be dissapointed to spend that much money and not get what i want in the end.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You mean a bitch stripe? It's pretty common in the show lines and come out as the adult coat comes in. I'm no expert, but I don't think anyone can guarantee a dog won't have some kind of bitch stripe, especially with the show lines. It's that common.

Are you looking to show? If not, are you willing to risk temperament and health issues for a guarantee of a solid black saddle? I know I wouldn't be, but that's just my take on it. Just throwing that out there.

As for the pictures being photoshopped, I definitely look at that as deceiving. Especially when their whole selling point is "reds above the rest". But go there and meet their dogs. You going there doesn't mean you have to buy a puppy. Go there and see what they have to offer.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You mean a bitch stripe? It's pretty common in the show lines and come out as the adult coat comes in. I'm no expert, but I don't think anyone can guarantee a dog won't have some kind of bitch stripe, especially with the show lines. It's that common.

Are you looking to show? If not, are you willing to risk temperament and health issues for a guarantee of a solid black saddle? I know I wouldn't be, but that's just my take on it. Just throwing that out there.

As for the pictures being photoshopped, I definitely look at that as deceiving. Especially when their whole selling point is "reds above the rest". But go there and meet their dogs. You going there doesn't mean you have to buy a puppy. Go there and see what they have to offer.
Of course i wouldn't risk temperament and health for a solid black saddle. But cant i get both? I understand that no one can guarantee that stripe but she seems to have a lot more than just a stripe (pic below). I'm interested in a male though, and since its called a bitch stripe should the male not have it? I know I've noticed that its mostly the Dams that have it but im worried that its so much that it will get passed on the the male as well.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw
Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't let the name fool you - males have bitch stripes too. Again, it's very common with the show lines - both males and females.

Can you post the picture here directly? That link isn't working.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are that picky about color get an adult from a breeder or find a nice wgsl rescue. Seriously no breeder is going to guarantee things like exactly what that sale is going to look like.
GSDElsa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.