Breeders in the Pacific Northwest? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeders in the Pacific Northwest?

Hey all, I'm new to the forums here, and I'm about two months or so away from making the purchase of a lifetime.

A little about myself; I'm 22 years old, single, soon-to-be former military (contract is up, and parting ways) and about to hit a transition between coming off a full-time job and starting up the life of a college student. A good two to three months to where I'll be able to dedicate a lot of time to a little fuzzball. I've tucked away funds specifically for a dog, and I've been in love with the German Shepherds for as long as I can remember. Having spent plenty of time with friends who are K-9 officers where I was stationed only cemented that love even more.

I live up in a rural section of northeast Oregon, and have around 8-9 acres of land (no real livestock, though we do manage a small flock of chickens and occasionally sell hay). It will be just myself and my grandmother, but with plenty of friends (one of them a Husky breeder) for socialization. This will be my first dog that is *MINE*, not a friends/family member's, but actually my own. I've been reading casually the past two years about dogs, so I would like to think I'm slightly knowledgeable about how to bring one up (of course, booksmarts will NEVER meet up with streetsmarts and actual experience).

There's a few parameters to finding my companion though:

* $1000 or less. Primarily a companion/pet. That's really my ceiling as to how much I want to spend. I'm not looking for a breeding dog, show champion or supreme working dog from a distinguished family line. I'm perfectly fine with Limited AKC papers. This is going to be my furry kid turned furry partner for a long time. While I don't mind casual competition, I'm not wanting to spend four figures for a champion dog if I'm not looking to show him off like that. I've looked at von HausReid/Grunheide/Waldhimmel, and think they're amazing dogs with great breeders, but... the price is a bit much for *me* personally (not to discredit them, I'm sure they're worth it!).

* No gender preference, no line preference, medium-drive preferably. I've read up on both, and really, the majority of the information I find is anecdotal and varies from family to family, and I can't really nail down any set-in-stone facts about gender or show/working line. As far as drive goes, I'm not lazy bum, but, I'm no athletic super-being or enthusiast. I'm aware of my limitations, and going for a high-drive dog is probably asking for trouble, especially for my first dog.

* Within 400 miles of Portland, Oregon. 1000 miles is the absolute limit I can drive in a single day (tried and tested on road trips before). Adjusting for time spent at the breeder's house, breaks, and whatnot... a 400-mile radius is about as far as I am willing to go, as I'd rather get the pup in his home-home the first night rather than a hotel. And I'm not interested in shipping a puppy, reputable breeder or not; I want to see how things are in person. On a note, I have no idea how difficult it is crossing the border into Canada for something like this is... so... probably keep it to the USA. And, no further east than Boise, ID, and no further south than Reno, NV.

* Appearance doesn't matter, but would prefer a long-coat. Something about those long coats I just find adorable. Also, I am not against the solid white/black GSDs. It doesn't have to be sable or the perfect pattern of red/black or anything like that.

So, if someone can help point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Any and ALL help, on anything anyone might want to comment about, is welcome. I'm doing my best to charge into this life-altering decision as forewarned/forearmed as I can be. I certainly don't want to be one of those people dropping their companion off at the shelter.

Last edited by SaberCt; 09-16-2011 at 10:58 AM.
SaberCt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

You could try Surefire Shepherds in the Longview/Kelso area. She predominantly breeds whites (but has had darker colors) and has long coats. The price varies but falls in your range. The link is SureFire Shepherds
I bought my bi-color dog from her 8 yrs ago. I also have a 16 wk old puppy from Timberhaus K-9 in Eatonville Timberhaus K-9 German Shepherds (360)832-6556

Surefire "Linzee" 4/10/2003 Bi-Color
Venice Von Dem Waldkonig a.k.a "Cinder" 5/25/2011 Sable

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
"Shatze" 3/1991-2/2002 Black & Tan
Angel Acres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Regardless of what lines you want and regardless of what energy, drive and what you want to do with the puppy, you still want to go through a reputable breeder to make sure you get a healthy, sound puppy with great temperment and drive. That means you will spend at least $1000.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please read through this thread.

Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

There's certainly a lot of backyard style breeders in the Pac NW, I can tell you that much, so be careful.

We just got in a litter of 4 purebred GSD puppies who are 5 days old now. Their dam died not long after they were born, and so these are orphans. We happened to have a nursing mama dog so she's assisting with their rearing.

They are not what you'd call "well bred" at all, and morons bred them to "make money" I hope that's not considered a "breeder bash" since these folks were not breeders but merely had a couple of purebred intact dogs.

If you're not opposed to a rescued dog/puppy, they'll be ready in about 8-10 weeks.
They are all females.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Regardless of what lines you want and regardless of what energy, drive and what you want to do with the puppy, you still want to go through a reputable breeder to make sure you get a healthy, sound puppy with great temperment and drive. That means you will spend at least $1000.

I've become quite familiar with the stickies.

That is the intent. I want a reputable breeder, and I'm not looking to drop that (or ANY) kind of money on recreational backyard breeders.

Health and temperament are the 1 and 2-spot on my priority list, and I'm fully expecting to come close if not hit that price. But to clarify, I am still just looking for a companion dog. If I have to go above $1000 for physical or mental health reasons, that is fine. I am not wanting to spend extra money for breeding/show/work or the family's prestige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
If you're not opposed to a rescued dog/puppy, they'll be ready in about 8-10 weeks.
They are all females.
For my first dog, I am going to be a bit picky on that. I do hope they find a good home, and I may get into rescues/adoptions in the future, but for now, I'm going to play it safe.
SaberCt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Regional Clubs - Northwest Link to the German Shepherd Dog Club Of America -- clubs in the northwest.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Has Ray changed the pricing on puppies? When I got my dog two and a half years ago he asked $1000 for female pups (I purchased a male). He does not charge extra for breeding rights or papers, nor do the prices differ depending on what is potentially breeding and working quality and what is "just" pet quality.

My low-medium drive, pet quality dog (drive and quality in comparison to the rest of the litter)

As far as long coats, I will say that I have been following the breedings closely and keeping up with puppy pictures, and have yet to see a long coat puppy.

Regarding SureFire, I have met and known of several dogs directly from SureFire, or dogs carrying SureFire in their pedigree. Please PM me if you are seriously considering a dog from this breeder.

Bree - 2/11/08 Tuxedo DLH Cat

Raina - 8/12/11 Black Smoke DLH Cat

Rei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

SaberCT, it sounds like you are already on the right track. Whether you go with a "big name" breeder or a small obscure one, do your research. Ask for background info on the parents-health, hips, training, etc. Ask for references from previous buyers. Tell the breeder straight up what you want and if they are honest they will help you pick a suitable pup (and not just go for the sale!). Often dogs with limited registration are sold at a discount. Have you considered looking at older dogs? Sometimes a pup will come back or the breeder will help a current owner of one of their pups rehome it at a reduced price. Just keep doing your homework and good luck.

Surefire "Linzee" 4/10/2003 Bi-Color
Venice Von Dem Waldkonig a.k.a "Cinder" 5/25/2011 Sable

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
"Shatze" 3/1991-2/2002 Black & Tan
Angel Acres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus

There is a HUGE thread on Breeders in the PACNW already in this section somewhere! Tons of breeders listed in it.

I have experience with a lot of breeders in this area.I personally reccommend...
Hohenluft GSD- Lynne Lewis is the owner's name I have met and know Lynne, she is a GREAT breeder and trainer!
ShraderhausK9- Jean Schrader- I know of several dogs from Jean and I love them all. I can put you in touch with their owners.
Vom Banach is another good Option.
Cindy Schneider has some good dogs according to my friend who trains with her.
Heidi Theis is another great option.
Vom haus Vianden is a GREAT place, she is a personal friend of mine and produces some excellent dogs.
I have a small "kennel" and my dog just produced his first litter 4 months ago. I don't have a breeding planned anytime soon, though, I do have a 4 month old pup available, she was placed and returned because the people she was with are getting divorced. She is from health tested parents and her sire is working towards his Schutzhund titles. Her mother was killed in a tragic accident. She comes with a health guarantee.

No matter where you go with, research, talk to people that have offspring or relatives of the dogs that you're interested in. Take everything people say with a grain of salt. Some people bad mouth other people just because they can.
VonKromeHaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.