German Shepherds Forum banner

SL breeders in Northeast (NY, NJ, CT, MA, PA)

10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  VTcoach 
#1 ·
Hey,

I'm looking for a show-line breeder in the northeast that the board members would recommend.

I am helping a friend look for a puppy from a reputable breeder.

He's a first time GSD owner but he's responsible and I'll help him as far as choosing a puppy.

For him, I'm thinking medium drive dog who's biddable (not a hard dog). He won't be doing any competitive work nor will he be using much corrections on the dog. Mostly NILIF and marker training (why I don't feel like there's a need for hardness).

I'm thinking show-line. West German or American given that the slope is not too extreme (I personally don't like that but I understand it's part of the SL look).

Please PM me if you know a good breeder in the area or post / PM me if you are a breeder in the area...

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have an American show line from Peakes Brook. Here is the link: German Shepherds at Peakesbrook, AKC German Shepherd Puppies, New York German Shepherd Breeder, AKC German Shepherds for sale. My male, Niko, is from a Tyger / Darby-Dan Queen of Hearts breeding.

I would classify him as medium energy, but I don't have a ton of experience, so I am not sure what a high energy or low energy dog would be. Niko does well with a 6 mile morning run, followed by a couple hours of off-leash play in the afternoon. But he is not a pain if he doesn't get this either. He has never been destructive, he was easy to potty train, and he never went through a landshark phase. He's very food motivated and easy to train. He is reactive in some circumstances, and does not tolerate meeting new dogs (he had some bad puppy/adult experiences that I think helped to instill a real fear of other dogs). If your friend is dedicated to good and early socialization, I think you can avoid most if not all of the challenges that Niko has presented.

Here is a couple pictures of my boy at two years old.

His breeder, Rebecca Little, has been very good about keeping in touch with us. You can see that she really cares about the dogs that she produces. She's been happy to give us advice and answer any questions we have. :)

#10 ·
He is reactive in some circumstances, and does not tolerate meeting new dogs (he had some bad puppy/adult experiences that I think helped to instill a real fear of other dogs). If your friend is dedicated to good and early socialization, I think you can avoid most if not all of the challenges that Niko has presented.
I am going to respectfully disagree with that. :) Compliment alert: I think you did a good job with him, one that would have been enough for other dogs.

#3 ·
#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I've also met some Peakes Brook dogs and they were Very nice and sound!!! I've also admired many Darby Dan dogs, but feel I'd like to add this kennel as well. I don't personally know the lady but have met many dogs from there and I know she shows and trains in herding, so another thought, there are many great breeders and if a good one doesn't have what you are looking for they can usually refer you quite well. Good luck to your friends
Brownhill German Shepherds

about us

#11 ·

Attachments

#15 ·
Paula, I am near lebanon and have never heard of her,,I do know there is one in that area to stay away from but dont know the name..

There is Totana Piper Hill in Killingworth, CT..Check her out:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.