Northeast breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Northeast breeders

I am new to the forum and would aprpeciate some advice from the forum community. I live in New York and I am very interested in purchasing a GS puppy. Before doing som I woudl like to visit a few breeders to get to know them before making a choice. Can anyone recommend breeders in and around the NY area? I am specifically interested in GSs with more black in their coat.
Thanks.
Breen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Northeast Breeder Inquiry

I forgot to mention one recommended breeder I am already looking into - Joe Berger on VomEngelsbrunn Shepherds. If you have anything to share about Joe or his dogs, that would also be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breen View Post
I am new to the forum and would aprpeciate some advice from the forum community. I live in New York and I am very interested in purchasing a GS puppy. Before doing som I woudl like to visit a few breeders to get to know them before making a choice. Can anyone recommend breeders in and around the NY area? I am specifically interested in GSs with more black in their coat.
Thanks.
I am originally from vermont and was going to get my dog from this woman in Wolcott. I have a friend that swears by her and has three of her dogs already and they are all fantastic! She breed working lines and show lines to bring a fantastic mix for companion dogs that have a drive to work.

Stronghold German Shepherds | Home Page
MicheleMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks MicheleMarie. I have a place in Woodstock, VT and will add the Wolcott breeder to my list.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can you tell us a little bit more about you? What is your lifesyle like? What are you planning to do with the puppy? What traits are important to you?
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I sure can...

My fiance and I are young (28/38), very active and live stable lives. I am from New England and she is from Pennsylvania and we find ourselves up in VT and Pennsylvania often. We both grew up with many dogs and have family with German Shepherds. We are not considering a dog for competitions, but we are very drawn to the GS's intelligence and companionship. It's important that the dog be good around children once we head down that path. My do understand that will require proper socialization. Many of our friends have dogs. How's that for a start?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you like American show lines, this is the breeder we got Niko from (I can post a pic if you want). German Shepherds at Peakesbrook, AKC German Shepherd Puppies, New York German Shepherd Breeder, AKC German Shepherds for sale.

He's physically gorgeous and healthy. His temperament is perfect for our lifestyle (we are a bit reclusive), but we need to work on building his confidence and making him less reactive to situations that make him nervous. From what I know of the other dogs from this breeder, this isn't a problem with other puppies she's bred (so I'm guessing it's at least partly our fault). He has a strong prey drive, and is very food motivated and easy to train.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Any particular look that you're looking for?

Here's a list of all the different types of german shepherds out there (and there are plenty).

Breed Types & Related Families

And what part of NY are you in? Are you upstate or closer to the city?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you Lucky Dog. That link is very interesting and informative. I am most drawn to the German Shepherd Dog with East German Lines (DDR) and Czech/Slovak Lines. I find the deep, darker colors and the overall posture (straighter, sloped back) to be very attractive.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here are two DDR breeders in NH that i've heard good things about.

Breeders of German Shepherds & Cairn Terriers | NH & MA | New Hampshire & Massachusetts - Pam Lake, Owner

Goble Kennels | East German Shepherd Breeders Dogs and Puppies | Loudon, NH

I saw you mentioned VomEngelsbrunn Shepherds... you know they're show line dogs, right? They're your typical black and reds. Big difference (temperament and looks) between these kind of german shepherds and the working lines that you mentioned that you liked.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 04-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.