Breeder advice/comparison in MD area - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeder advice/comparison in MD area

Hello all,

I grew up with primarily 1 GSD - Nico - got him when I was about 9 yrs old and he was my constant companion until I went off to college. He lived to be about 12, but in the 9 or so years I was able to spend with him, it cemented my love for this breed. My parents have continued to own GSDs and I always look forward to visiting them and their GSD.

Fast forward a bunch of years and I'm married with my own 2 boys (5 & 8) and we are all ready (and excited) for a GSD of our own.

I'd like to get a black/tan/red male pup to have as a companion/pet but also to obedience train (obviously) and light training in protection. I expect it to be loyal, loving, smart, great with the kids while still being intimidating. I am interested in the German/European lines (working and show) but definitely not the American show lines.

As per some of the recommendations on these boards, I'm doing my research around breeders and thought I'd throw a request out there. I've boiled it down to the following (in no particular order):

Haus Juris German Shepherds Welcome to Haus Juris German Shepherd Dogs
Country Lakes Puppies Country Lakes Puppies - German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers
Hollow Hills/vom hohlen Huegel Shepherds Hollow Hills vom hohlen Hgel German Shepherd Dogs
Johnson Haus German Shepherds Johnson-Haus German Shepherds, Frederick Maryland
Zwinger vom Silbersee Vom Silbersee German Shepherd Dogs

Can anyone provide any information good or bad on these breeders? Any help is appreciated. Please PM any bad reviews.

Also, my sister and parents are looking to also get GSD pups at the same time. They all live nearby - will breeders consider letting us have 3 males from the same litter? The pups would definitely see each other frequently, I figured that would be a good thing??

Thanks much.

Last edited by DriesBorghans; 03-14-2011 at 10:53 AM.
DriesBorghans is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriesBorghans View Post
Hello all,

I grew up with primarily 1 GSD - Nico - got him when I was about 9 yrs old and he was my constant companion until I went off to college. He lived to be about 12, but in the 9 or so years I was able to spend with him, it cemented my love for this breed. My parents have continued to own GSDs and I always look forward to visiting them and their GSD.

Fast forward a bunch of years and I'm married with my own 2 boys (5 & 8) and we are all ready (and excited) for a GSD of our own.

I'd like to get a black/tan/red male pup to have as a companion/pet but also to obedience train (obviously) and light training in protection. I expect it to be loyal, loving, smart, great with the kids while still being intimidating. I am interested in the German/European lines (working and show) but definitely not the American show lines.

As per some of the recommendations on these boards, I'm doing my research around breeders and thought I'd throw a request out there. I've boiled it down to the following (in no particular order):

Haus Juris German Shepherds Welcome to Haus Juris German Shepherd Dogs
Country Lakes Puppies Country Lakes Puppies - German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers
Hollow Hills/vom hohlen Huegel Shepherds Hollow Hills vom hohlen Hgel German Shepherd Dogs
Johnson Haus German Shepherds Johnson-Haus German Shepherds, Frederick Maryland
Zwinger vom Silbersee Vom Silbersee German Shepherd Dogs

Can anyone provide any information good or bad on these breeders? Any help is appreciated. Please PM any bad reviews.

Also, my sister and parents are looking to also get GSD pups at the same time. They all live nearby - will breeders consider letting us have 3 males from the same litter? The pups would definitely see each other frequently, I figured that would be a good thing??

Thanks much.
Just sent a PM on this.
Witz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I LOVE Johnson-Haus. They produce fabulous pups and Carolina is always posting pictures of her amazing dogs. Johnson-Haus is my breeder choice on my list with a couple others. As far as the other breeders you listed i dont know anything about them. They work their dogs and their dogs are a part of their family. I'm always very impressed when i see pups from them.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
I LOVE Johnson-Haus. They produce fabulous pups and Carolina is always posting pictures of her amazing dogs. Johnson-Haus is my breeder choice on my list with a couple others. As far as the other breeders you listed i dont know anything about them. They work their dogs and their dogs are a part of their family. I'm always very impressed when i see pups from them.
I second that vote.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know anything about those breeders, but if you're interested in "light personal protection" I'd strongly recommend you look into SDA at Service Dogs Of America.

They offer training and titles in everything from Protection Dog A, which is a non-gripping controlled alert, all the way to Protection Dog 3, which is higher-level protection.

If it was available in Texas I'd get into an SDA training club in a heartbeat.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
KZoppa,

Do you mind sharing the other breeders on your "list"? I'm assuming that since you are such a fan of Johnson Haus, that you are in the DC/MD area?
Thanks,
Dries
Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the nice words. I will say though that we do not sell doubles, or in this case more than two at once!

I've been training dogs in general long before breeding the GSD and everytime I've helped training clients with doubles it the same problems. The puppies end up bonding so much to each other they just don't give the owners the same attention, bonding or willingness.. Any why should they, all they want to do is get back to the littermate and play i.e "destroy everything", they truley are "Double Trouble"!! Unless they have individual kennels and are let out one at a time or brought in one at a time. And even then most get lazy or strapped for time and start letting them out together because it's easier.

Think about it this way. If the pups live together or even ONLY get to play together once a day that is still gonna be more time per day, week and month one on one with each other than one on one with you the owner. I ussually have folks wait a year between pups, heck maybe even longer if possible.

Do you have any idea how you would set things up if a breeder was willing to sell you that many pups at one time?
Hundguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought the pups were going to diferent households? The OP and his family, his grown sister and her family, and their parents?

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ooopps, my bad. Read the OP but totally missed the living at different homes part.. Carolina pointed it out to me..
Hundguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, they would all be in different households, but we're still within 20 minutes of each other. I'm riding herd on this research so if getting multiple pups from a single breeder causes issues, we are all about the best interest of the pups.

Dennis - you are in Frederick, correct? Can I come out and visit?

Thanks,
Dries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.