Kennel Info- Tom z Pohranicni straze Line - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvourGSDs View Post
Hello, Ran across this kennel, fairly close to our area & was just curious if anyone has heard of them, have a dog from them, etc? Any suggestion on lines?

If a dog from them, please share if too much drive (crazy, intense, gotta go, go, go 24/7) or if you were or are happy? How are temps? Any issues?

~Thanks~

RoseHavenkKennel.com
Some nice looking dogs. Wish the pedigrees were on the site so you could actually see them. Wish that *any* of them had more of a title other than "In training for BH and Sch1-3." Also no hip xrays listed on any of the dogs. Doesn't mean they've not been done, but it's a question to ask.

But, most of what you describe in your following posts sound like a good working-line GSD--from almost any working bloodlines. Well, perhaps not the "top sport" bloodlines--they might have more reactivity and activity levels than it sounds like you want--so you might not want to limit yourself to Czech bloodlines.

Christine

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post

As for the kennel mentioned, I know nothing about them. Though have to admit being skeptical about a breeder of "working German Shephard's Dog".
Also spelled Shepard on the header of their page....I'm shocked it took 10 replies for someone to notice that, because I was just floored within seconds of being on their site that they couldn't even spell the breed they were selling.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Also spelled Shepard on the header of their page....I'm shocked it took 10 replies for someone to notice that, because I was just floored within seconds of being on their site that they couldn't even spell the breed they were selling.
Thanks for the replies so far all. Keep them coming. Ok, yes, spelling things wrong isn't the end of the world though & shouldn't need to knock someone for that. TG for spell ck & I know I commonly make spelling mistakes.......... Granted, I would think you would want your website flawless, but hey..........

On x-rays, I was told, don't OFA, but does v ratings. This is a German system of x-rays ?

You can view pedigree of all dogs, but need to copy & paste them to PDB. The database is funky, because you have to take certain things out of name to get it to show up.

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
LuvourGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Price is very reasonable. One thing I noticed that struck me as odd- every dog is in training for BH Sch1-3. While I wouldn't consider that too odd on maybe some of the younger dogs...Every dog? Title it already if you're actually working on it. They are also trainers for their SchH club? My mind goes to hobbyist.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I agree on spelling not being everything. But this isn't a case of accidentally hitting the wrong key or transposing letters. If one knows how to spell the breed's name, "Shepard" doesn't come out accidentally. And I really think someone breeding it ought to know how to spell it. Sure, maybe the website was put together by someone who didn't know and didn't bother to look it up, but if the case that it something that should have jumped out at the owner and gotten fixed in a hurry.

I also agree the "in training" thing on every single dog is puzzling.

Also, "v" is a German conformation title, not a hip rating. So them saying they don't OFA, they do "v ratings" not only makes no sense, unless the question or answer was completely misunderstood it shows total ignorance of the German SV hip rating system.

Basically a lot there that makes me question the knowledge of the breeder. But maybe they, and their web designer, are just bad at conveying that. Either way it doesn't change the genetics of the dogs and all that said, the dogs themselves look pretty nice and prices are reasonable. Best thing to do would be to go meet them in person. And also ask yourself what you want out of a breeder. If just a good puppy, this could be a good option. If someone knowledgeable to provide guidance and support, maybe not.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
I agree on spelling not being everything. But this isn't a case of accidentally hitting the wrong key or transposing letters. If one knows how to spell the breed's name, "Shepard" doesn't come out accidentally. And I really think someone breeding it ought to know how to spell it. Sure, maybe the website was put together by someone who didn't know and didn't bother to look it up, but if the case that it something that should have jumped out at the owner and gotten fixed in a hurry.

I also agree the "in training" thing on every single dog is puzzling.

Also, "v" is a German conformation title, not a hip rating. So them saying they don't OFA, they do "v ratings" not only makes no sense, unless the question or answer was completely misunderstood it shows total ignorance of the German SV hip rating system.

Basically a lot there that makes me question the knowledge of the breeder. But maybe they, and their web designer, are just bad at conveying that. Either way it doesn't change the genetics of the dogs and all that said, the dogs themselves look pretty nice and prices are reasonable. Best thing to do would be to go meet them in person. And also ask yourself what you want out of a breeder. If just a good puppy, this could be a good option. If someone knowledgeable to provide guidance and support, maybe not.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvourGSDs View Post

On x-rays, I was told, don't OFA, but does v ratings. This is a German system of x-rays ?

You can view pedigree of all dogs, but need to copy & paste them to PDB. The database is funky, because you have to take certain things out of name to get it to show up.

"v ratings" on hips? No such thing. There's "a" stamps/ratings.

If you can't view pedigrees without removing parts of the name.... uhhh. So, basically, they're not using the dogs' actual names on the site? That's not the PDB database being funky--that's someone using two different sets of names for the same dog.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you can not get a V rating in a show unless working titled......
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Chris & all for your opinions, why I posted.

I agree, funky mistake with spelling with Shepherd. Could be a web person involved that has know clue about dogs, who knows. What was import to me, was to have you all see the look & lines of these dogs.

Wasn't sure after someone pointed out on here about all 4 females being Tom's offspring, should there be more mixture or does that matter?

Also I did talk via phone with her & SO much we went over & not sure I have it right with the x-ray thing. If you choose not to OFA, then a German way & what is that? I do know she said, did that way & didn't OFA. Prob my mistake, because, did talk over me on somethings, because , have no clue on breeding or dealing with German methods, titles, etc. I am not sure what all the German titles are on the dogs pedigree other than SCH1, 2, & 3. So many dogs on the PDB I have looked at & have not a clue what this or that is, just AKC titles (and not all of them by far).

I agree, when time allows, will go visit, was recommended by her & welcomed to do so. That's foremost important to me, like to see adults, their temps, condition, etc. She seemed nice & very knowledgable about the breed. Ask me right off, what I'm looking for in a dog, drives, temps, etc? Seemed she could help place a pup with me when wanting do.

Thanks all again & will continue to watch this thread. I know not all people are perfect & what one breeder does another might see wrong in their eyes, but we all do things different.

~Thanks~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
LuvourGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jiri Novotny did not own Tom z PS. The other info about Tom is basically correct. Tom was a tremendous producer of "good nerve strength". His level of drives often varied with the dams that were used with him, but the nerve remained constant. His father Cordon was known for producing many many police dogs and especially gave good fight drive to his progeny. Tom's mother was owned and handled by a good friend of mine and was an exceptional dog in working. She went back to the legendary Kaso z PS who was known for the quality of females that he produced.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.