Breeder in Ontario - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeder in Ontario

Hi folks. I'v made a recent personal intro. in the new members forum and declared that I was going to get a new GSD partner in the April - May time frame(expectant to a spring litter) . I live in Toronto proper but am looking for ethical breeders to select my new companion and am looking for some choices to work/communicate with for the meantime.

I would love and welcome feedback on some choices. I am really seeking a good considerate breeder who cares about the animals they produce and solid care and consideration.

I am particularly worried about being sucked into backyard breeders and dont wish to promote and encourage them and sometimes it is hard to discern the differnence..

Advice, and contacts are very much appreciated.....

Cheers!
Grant
grobinso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobinso View Post
Hi folks. I'v made a recent personal intro. in the new members forum and declared that I was going to get a new GSD partner in the April - May time frame(expectant to a spring litter) . I live in Toronto proper but am looking for ethical breeders to select my new companion and am looking for some choices to work/communicate with for the meantime.

I would love and welcome feedback on some choices. I am really seeking a good considerate breeder who cares about the animals they produce and solid care and consideration.

I am particularly worried about being sucked into backyard breeders and dont wish to promote and encourage them and sometimes it is hard to discern the differnence..

Advice, and contacts are very much appreciated.....

Cheers!
Grant
Check out Crosshill Kennels it is near St Jacob's Ontario. Peter is very personable and has been a registered breeder of GSD's for over 25 yrs. Recently Crosshill Kennel was seen on "Pick Your Puppy" the CMT TV show, the kennel aired on the Nov. show. I called the Canadian Kennel Club and was informed he was a member in very good standing. They have beautiful puppies and sometimes wonderful more mature GSD's. Check out their website again it is Crosshill Kennels. There is also a well known breeder in Caledonia, Ontariio about 2 hrs from Toronto called Timberline Kennels and Another one in Ancaster called Glandview Kennels all GSD breeders. All the above breeders have good reputations and are an hr to two hrs away, but there are many more. Good Luck

Last edited by Lora; 01-09-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hi there,

I am in Waterloo, ON so fairly close to you.

What exactly are looking for in a dog? Do you plan on doing any sport/activities with your new pup? Any particular bloodlines you like?

I have a list compiled and am involved in a few clubs this way so I may be able to help you or atleast steer you in the right direction.

Welcome by the way!

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

stay away from crosshill kennels send me a PM and I'll let you know my experience with his dogs
deor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would also check with Carmen Duggan (Carmspack) who is on this forum.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Have you looked at the sticky post Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder. Are you interested in show lines or working lines?

Welcome and good luck in your seach.

Quinn, Mar. 8/2007
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Quinnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

totally opposite from the recommendations that Lora made -- ?!?

I saw the Pick a Puppy show last week -- my sister lost her rescue dog to some illness so was feeling blue and needed a doggy fix. Yuck . to every thing on the show . Yuck . You would NEVER have me participating in this reality show format . Dogs did not exhibit breed specific character .

all of the recommended names have lots and lots and lots of litters and pups a year

a member in good standing just means that you dot your i 's and cross your t's , do your paperwork and provide registration papers in a timely fashion ----- which is not possible sometimes if you are dealing with a recent import that needs to be transfered in a foreign registry . Good standing does not provide any information on the wisdom of the breeding, litter or program, the health, the longevity , the knowledge of the breeder, nothing . All that is necessary is that two registered dogs are sire and dam , (of the same breed) .

good morning --
I am north of Whitby -- been around for 35 years --- one to two litters per year -

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like Renee's dog committed to canine- there is also a nice working line dog at our club-from Ontario-but I forgot the breeders name-also Alpenhof-nice show lines
holland is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Check out Crosshill Kennels it is near St Jacob's Ontario. Peter is very personable and has been a registered breeder of GSD's for over 25 yrs. Recently Crosshill Kennel was seen on "Pick Your Puppy" the CMT TV show, the kennel aired on the Nov. show. I called the Canadian Kennel Club and was informed he was a member in very good standing. They have beautiful puppies and sometimes wonderful more mature GSD's. Check out their website again it is Crosshill Kennels.
I have a question. I am not picking on you personally, we just have a big problem on this website with people recommending breeders because they have a nice website, or they saw them on TV or in a breed magazine, or they have a friend of a friend of a friend who said they were good. . . . . what is your specific experience with this breeder?

Please everyone, when you recommend a breeder, state what is your experience with them. Do you know them by reputation only? Did you just find their website and figure it looks nice? Have you met some of their dogs? Do you know the breeder personally from trials? Have you bought a puppy from them?

Information like this can be invaluable when recommending a breeder.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sheena Rhoda , FraserGlen 30 year friend of mine , one to two litters per year.

She has run obedience classes for over 30 years - Brampton Obedience. Her students were high scoring in trial -- huge shows Credit Valley year ender etc.

Her baseline breeding stock is Carmspack. Then we put our heads together and bring in outside genetics that work for her, for me , for another member of a breeders collaborative efforts to produce working dogs in some numbers , while maintaining individual limited litters per year . This way we get to spend more time with the pups we have .

She and I raise the pups in the home .

Was an inspector for Ontario Humane so always involved with dogs and dog welfare concerns.

no web site at moment -- 905 877 5569

there are some good breeders not on the radar screen

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.