Long Coat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Long Coat

Hi all,
I have posted in the past about looking for another long coat GSD, we are finally settled enough after a few life changes to start seriously looking. We have a german show line but have become very partial to her long coat (for looks and the fact that she actually doesn't shed as much as other GSDs we have owned). SO, i'm looking for some tips on any breeders who has long coat producers. We prefer german lines over american. my husband loves the sable coats, but I don't know if we are patient enough to wait for a long coat working line male that has the temperment for our family. I'm thinking a showline would probably be a quicker option? We are already looking at Riley's breeder, but that also might be a wait for a long coat... want to explore all of our options.

we dont really have a budget per say, just want a great dog to add to our pack. My parents currently live with me so we are looking to have one in the next year- while they are around to help with the puppy while it is young. (they are retired, my husband and i work full time). we are extremely active- looking for a hiking and walking partner.

so long story short, anyone have any recommendations? We live in North Jersey and will drive a day's distance to pick up a pup (NY, CT, MA, PA, VT, DE, MD, VA, TN... Canada... many options!!). We prefer to drive and pick it up, although if a great pup comes up we will consider getting it shipped.

sprzybyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprzybyl View Post
Hi all,
I have posted in the past about looking for another long coat GSD, we are finally settled enough after a few life changes to start seriously looking. We have a german show line but have become very partial to her long coat (for looks and the fact that she actually doesn't shed as much as other GSDs we have owned). SO, i'm looking for some tips on any breeders who has long coat producers. We prefer german lines over american. my husband loves the sable coats, but I don't know if we are patient enough to wait for a long coat working line male that has the temperment for our family. I'm thinking a showline would probably be a quicker option? We are already looking at Riley's breeder, but that also might be a wait for a long coat... want to explore all of our options.

we dont really have a budget per say, just want a great dog to add to our pack. My parents currently live with me so we are looking to have one in the next year- while they are around to help with the puppy while it is young. (they are retired, my husband and i work full time). we are extremely active- looking for a hiking and walking partner.

so long story short, anyone have any recommendations? We live in North Jersey and will drive a day's distance to pick up a pup (NY, CT, MA, PA, VT, DE, MD, VA, TN... Canada... many options!!). We prefer to drive and pick it up, although if a great pup comes up we will consider getting it shipped.
Shadowbrook Shepherds is located in Troy, PA. They have a few litters planned in the near future, I inquired about them last night. One of the planned breedings is with Cheyanne and maybe Quantas or Max...Cheyanne has the coat factor so she can produce long coat puppies...maybe worth a look? German Shepherd Dog Breeder in Pennsylvania - Shadowbrook Shepherds
HayesEquineArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks Haynes... There are SO many options out there I get a little bit overwhelmed. Your inside advice on the long coat producer def helps!

sprzybyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprzybyl View Post
Thanks Haynes... There are SO many options out there I get a little bit overwhelmed. Your inside advice on the long coat producer def helps!
You're welcome! We got our GSD (avatar) from Shadowbrook and I couldn't have been happier with him. Sadly, we lost him 2 years ago in an accident so we're hunting for a new one and just decided to go with Shadowbrook again
Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know it's a super-longshot, but my rescue has a sable longcoat male available now.

They have him listed as a black and tan but he looks like a pattern sable to me. Only problem is, he's in TX but we do adopt out of state.

Chavo | Austin German Shepherd Dog Rescue

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I know it's a super-longshot, but my rescue has a sable longcoat male available now.

They have him listed as a black and tan but he looks like a pattern sable to me. Only problem is, he's in TX but we do adopt out of state.

Chavo | Austin German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Pretty boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.