Silver sable breeders? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

This is who I bought my male silver sable GSD from. He is an awesome dog, he has medium drive, he has a straight top line and is a stock coat. When I got him he only had 2 accidents in the house. He is eager to please me and very smart. He is UKC, she does have some AKC litters as well. You can see pics of him on my profile page.
Marilyn's German Shepherds - Purebred Registered German Shepherd puppies
Tanagal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

*** Link Removed by MOD ***

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by Castlemaid; 03-14-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: No breeder bashing.
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I can elaborate. While the term "responsible breeder" is thrown around a lot on this forum, sometimes it can be hard to qualify what makes a breeder "responsible."

One thing that can definitely make a breeder irresponsible though is to try to create "designer dogs" out of the breed. This breeder has admittedly just created a mutt- assuming she's bred a GSD with a Shiloh Shepherd, that is. That's not the kind of breeding most smile upon...

Quote:
I also have a litter of the only designer litter I breed, my German Shiloh Shepherd puppies. My designer litter of German Shiloh Shepherd puppies will be ready for new homes mid December.
*** Link removed ***

[EDIT]- Yes- they are mutts. Confirmed:
Quote:
His mother is Tala, my silver sable Shiloh Shepherd. His father is Drago, my full working line, solid black, German import German Shepherd.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training

Last edited by Castlemaid; 03-14-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Removed link, No negatives aimed at particular breeders please.
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Willy.

Not to mention that the breeder has multiple litters on the ground at once.

I dont see anything about her health testing the dogs, where are their OFA results?

Why does the price change for each dog? The puppies are selling anywhere from $350-750.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagal View Post
This is who I bought my male silver sable GSD from. He is an awesome dog, he has medium drive, he has a straight top line and is a stock coat. When I got him he only had 2 accidents in the house. He is eager to please me and very smart. He is UKC, she does have some AKC litters as well. You can see pics of him on my profile page.
Marilyn's German Shepherds - Purebred Registered German Shepherd puppies
you probably have one of the thousands of littermates to my boyfriends dog. my boyfriend not knowing any better bought my silver sable male from this breeder.

I do not condone the type of breeding she does. While my dog has a decent temperament and fairly good health considering, he still does have allergies, he has a TMJ problem, and a hock problem that causes him to limp occasionally after too much stress on it, and still has his quirks.

But I worked a LOT with this dog to socialize and train him.

This breeder does not health test. She is a Back Yard Breeder. Literally breeding to breed to breed to breed to see more $$$ in her pocket.

She is a very nice lady I will give her that. But I got lucky with what my dog turned out to be.
IMPO if you get a dog with a good temperament from this breeder, then you got lucky, or you raised your dog up really really well.

Loki has very high prey drive, but lacks a lot of courage in himself. With maturity he has gained quite a bit and on the surface appears to be like any other shepherd.
He is extremely high energy, he settles fine in the house, but this dog seriously needs an hour of extreme exercise EVERY day. I think in the wrong home he could have been a very dominant dog who had a few behavioral issues. As a trainer I've had no problem with him.

there are so many sables, and even silver sables that pop up in great workingline breedings. Don't waste your money on a dog you will have to "fix up" or potentially pay out big time for the health issues. Get a dog who will be a fantastic companion with balanced drives who can be everything you want him to be an more with very minimal effort. Let alone support a breeder who breeds for better. Not someone throwing dogs together in their backyard... literally.

Don't get me wrong, I love this dog to pieces! But I will never go back to that breeder for very very strong reasons.
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've stumbled onto [this breeder's] website a couple times before. Wasn't impressed at all and quite frankly her puppies look very BYB to me. Last time I was on her site. She was advertising a rare brindle GSD and charging either $1000 or $1200 for it. It was clearly not a brindle. It just had what I call "bar-ing" (blackening) down its legs.

I wouldn't recommend this breeder at all nor would I sell any of my dogs/puppies to her.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 03-14-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Removed breeder's name.
Geeheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I met someone at at agility trial recently with a silver sable they had purchased from Germelhaus, a very good working line breeder here in Texas. It is possible to get silver sables from good, ethical breeders.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Please don't consider that breeder... The website gives me a headache. No titles, no pedigrees, no health testing.. typical BYB.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Before filling a BYB's pockets, do consider adoption.

Petfinder Adopted Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Mount Airy, MD | Rosie
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

so go for the rescues locally - I would much rather see people looking for pets go to a rescue than a BYB/commercial breeder!!!

Light sables - often called 'silver sables' - are too easy to find - when breeding black and tans to sables, many pups end up light washy sable with pattern....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.