Walsh's Windy Acres in Cresco, Iowa - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walsh's Windy Acres in Cresco, Iowa

I was thinking of making a trip this weekend to look at their pups. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Windy Acres
bkinzie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Never heard of them but their dogs are very large (almost too large in my opinion) they look kinda fat too (also my opinion) I love big GSD's dont get me wrong my GSD is on the big size but their dogs just look off to me. Sorry (just my opinion please dont be offended )
Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not offended in anyway. Lost my GSD this past weekend. A great and wonderful 6 years that was cut short b/c of bloat. I'm trying to go slow and make the right, educated decision.
bkinzie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Don't see anything about titles, health, lineage, what training they do. Not my type at all (way to large and overweight), but if you're interested, I'd print up a list of questions/concerns and check them out. Kinda hard to rule in/out based on a web site.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss. Losing our best friend is never easy I would not get a puppy from that place but that is just me.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wouldn't consider this breeder. It's not just the deliberate breeding for oversize either. (And the words "Old Style" which these GSD's most definitely are not.) It's the fact that there is absolutely nothing on this website that really tells you anything about these dogs - no pedigrees, no hip scores, no evidence of any training (they probably don't do any), no contract to view..... I note that they have also dabbled in hogs and calves, and are asking for fosters to place some of their (prospective breeding stock) puppies with. (!) Sorry, I would run, not walk, to do more research.(Though if you want to satisfy your curiosity, you lose nothing by getting in touch and seeing what info you get from them.)

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja1Blue is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just wanted to add I am so sorry for your loss - it is heartbreaking to lose a young dog to something like bloat. Tragic...

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Anja1Blue is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah, I agree. The dogs are HUGE--way bigger than they should be IMO....and chubtastic.
GSDElsa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja1Blue View Post
Just wanted to add I am so sorry for your loss - it is heartbreaking to lose a young dog to something like bloat. Tragic...

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
BTW, bloat is GENETIC. So another thing to ask about, and that your good responsible breeders will be 100% truthful about. Added to the fact the BEST breeders keep track of all the puppies they've ever had EVER!!! So you can checkup on their honesty by also contacting past puppy owners.

Best thing is to do what you are doing, really take a ton of time to consider what flavor GSD you really would like this time. Chek? East German? Working German? Show German? AKC? Do you have any training goals for this new dog?

Course everyone knows AGILITY is the best thing to do with your dog, so if you want to do that.... certain lines do better than others....and you do NOT want one of those HUGE 100 pound 'Old Time' GSD's for that!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm so sorry about your loss! I know a breeder here in Michigan who is friends with Julie, and they worked together on breeding. Julie DOES OFA her dogs! From what I know about her, I think you will find her very forthcoming with any questions you have, including OFA certificates, pedigrees, whatever. As to her foster program, it is my understanding that she has foster owners of selected breeding stock so that she can provide QUALITY time with the dogs that live with her. Let's face it, even breeders who care about each individual dog they own/breed, knows that you can have too many and thus, not provide quality care, time and love to all of them. I think her foster program is based on Leeburg's foster program. IMO, that's responsible -- keeping an eye on potential breeding stock, yet providing each and every dog, regardless of whether they are for breeding or not, a great home! Once again, having met dogs with some of Julie's lines, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you meet Julie and her dogs -- which are not overweight!!! Good Luck!
Sable (plush GSD)
KayElle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.